宁

The "Get a Job, Have a Wife, Make a Child , Get a Life" Thread

The initiation into a mature life. You're like a butterfly just out of its cocoon. Into the world you go, "Get a job, have a wife, make a child, get a life" they say.

You will want to have food/sex shelter. When you got those, you will go after wealth. When have that, you suddenly want power. When you have that, you will find yourself seeking knowledge. When you have that, your eyes will be opened to the infinity of all mysteries. What happens then?

You will give up on your current reality and start seeking spirituality. That which is beyond the gates of experience.

That is what I think of, when I hear someone say "Get a job, have a wife, make a child, get a life."

The initiation into a mature life. You're like a butterfly just out of its cocoon. Into the world you go, "Get a job, have a wife, make a child, get a life" they say.

You will want to have food/sex shelter. When you got those, you will go after wealth. When have that, you suddenly want power. When you have that, you will find yourself seeking knowledge. When you have that, your eyes will be opened to the infinity of all mysteries. What happens then?

You will give up on your current reality and start seeking spirituality. That which is beyond the gates of experience.

That is what I think of, when I hear someone say "Get a job, have a wife, make a child, get a life."

I like this ^_^

that is the slow road

• Like 1

Having a child is not for me. I'm in my early 30s and I never have wanted one, never will want one. People have been telling me for years that I could change my mind but I cannot stand them. As far as I see it, they do little but suck away your time and independence. I just like my own company and space too much. I have no interest in raising another. I don't even have any pets.

Getting a life means nothing other than doing exactly what you want to do. Or being as close to it as you feel you can do. Having employment is a necessity - the most any of us can hope is that it's something we like. Or at least something we can bear. I don't like doing things the 'standard' way, but a lot of the time we don't have a choice.

Marriage could well be for me, as long as it's with someone who shares the same ideals I do, and has a similar sense of free will.

Edited by BeckoningThePneuma
  • Like 1

The way i see it, in point of daoism, the idea is to become like the Dao, to give birth and sustain, help and nourish. You are in line with the Dao, if you are helping other people, sustaining, promoting life, health, and so on.

The more you open up to life, the more you are able to integrate. This integration factor seems to be essential. How could your De embrace the whole world, when you aren't able to do that with the microcosmic wold, that of yourself, and your family...

I don't see it as a war, us against the world. The world is our mother.

Oh no not this thread again :wub: It continually causes me to contemplate these bizar fantasies where I have sex for the purpose.... of creating a child! :o Sometimes I even enjoy these fantasies !!! I must be getting older :lol: Since this thread started nowadays I sometimes find myself thinking it would be nice to have a son to teach and guide through life. And to have someone to remember me when I'm gone.

But I hear you BeckoningThePneuma. It took us (together 20 years) years to decide to get our cats, and we have only been discussing the possibility of a dog for several years, that might happen soon.

But the prospect of my fantasy turning into reality is fortunately a distant.... nightmare :ninja: Now the fantasy where I find a live in housekeeper who loves - making love, cleaning and looking after children. So that my partner and I can keep our established selfish routines (which we dearly love) without having to sacrifice those freedoms to care for and protect another........ Well you never know ;)

The way i see it, in point of daoism, the idea is to become like the Dao, to give birth and sustain, help and nourish. You are in line with the Dao, if you are helping other people, sustaining, promoting life, health, and so on.

The more you open up to life, the more you are able to integrate. This integration factor seems to be essential. How could your De embrace the whole world, when you aren't able to do that with the microcosmic wold, that of yourself, and your family...

I don't see it as a war, us against the world. The world is our mother.

and where did you get all your ideals about the Dao from?

whoever said the Dao is all about giving birth, sustaining, helping and nourishing?

there is a war but it is us against us.. each individual fighting against himself/herself..

the world is not our mother.. the higher beings are our spiritual parents..

you know too little..

Oh no not this thread again :wub: It continually causes me to contemplate these bizar fantasies where I have sex for the purpose.... of creating a child! :o Sometimes I even enjoy these fantasies !!! I must be getting older :lol: Since this thread started nowadays I sometimes find myself thinking it would be nice to have a son to teach and guide through life. And to have someone to remember me when I'm gone.

But I hear you BeckoningThePneuma. It took us (together 20 years) years to decide to get our cats, and we have only been discussing the possibility of a dog for several years, that might happen soon.

But the prospect of my fantasy turning into reality is fortunately a distant.... nightmare :ninja: Now the fantasy where I find a live in housekeeper who loves - making love, cleaning and looking after children. So that my partner and I can keep our established selfish routines (which we dearly love) without having to sacrifice those freedoms to care for and protect another........ Well you never know ;)

Well, that's the point of fantasies, isn't it. You see things how you want to see them. Like teenage girls who have rape fantasies - a turn-on in theory and how they play it out in their minds - but in reality it would be horrific.

I fantasied about having kids too. They would be well-behaved, fun as they grew up, and I could pass on my love of music to them. But I know in reality it would be 10% fun and 90% a massive ballache.

I can only say ... and I know its dull and boring ... but you do learn a lot from having kids and the rewards outweigh the time/energy etc. expended IMO.

Its not for everyone of course ...

and where did you get all your ideals about the Dao from?

whoever said the Dao is all about giving birth, sustaining, helping and nourishing?

there is a war but it is us against us.. each individual fighting against himself/herself..

the world is not our mother.. the higher beings are our spiritual parents..

you know too little..

i get it from people that study and practice in real life what we only dream of, and my heart tells me they tell the truth.

i know too little, yes, that is a humbling reality that i try each day to challenge.

you?