Starjumper

Black Dragon

• The Dao Bums
  • Pip
  • 1616 posts
  • Interests:Nei Kung, permaculture farming

Posted 20 February 2017 - 02:11 PM

POPULAR

Hello Tao Bums, the administrators have kindly allowed me to return here. Since I was last here I moved from Seattle to Southern Ecuador in order to start a new life in a pure land where I've been living for several years now as a hermit in the wilderness.  I bought 70 acres here South of the equator and close to the crest of the Andes mountain range, at 7000 ft altitude. The land is at the end of a valley and has a mountaintop on it. Due to the shape of the valley it's like being in and owning the entire crater of a big volcano. Due to this there are no neighbors or houses to be seen, and very few neighbors 'outside' the crater in any case, no barking dogs in the distance or crowing roosters, it's quiet and peaceful. All that can be heard is the singing of birds and chirping of crickets.

index.picture.jpg

I moved here in order to escape the big city, the land of poison, and to live in a place with a 12 month growing season, the primary motives were survival, and peacefulness. The air here comes to us over the top of the Andes after having passed over the ten billion trees and being scrubbed by countless thunderstorms in the Amazon so it is the purest air in the world, and has an energy and sparkle that is outstanding. The sky is deep blue at this altitude. The water comes from springs and since we live on the ridge tops it doesn't have time to pick up much of anything in the way of minerals and so has an amazing purity of only 28 ppm of dissolved solids, which is almost like drinking distilled water. Since we live near the crest of the Andes we live right next to a cloud forrest zone where we get a lot of rain and also a lot of sun. The plants in the gardens grow amazingly fast, particularly now that we have a wonderful beautiful horse which gives us lots of fertilizer. We have planted a banana orchard which gives us a lot of bananas, and are also growing many kinds of tropical fruit, which includes papaya, mangos, avocado, tree tomatoes, bean trees, nispero, luma, granadillas, and chirimoya, which is called the ice cream of, and the most delicious fruit in, the world. Also it's hard to throw a rock around here without hitting a medicinal plant of some kind.  It used to be real steep cattle grazing land and was burned regularly to prevent trees and shrubs from growing so I've planted about 9000 trees of the natural kinds occurring in the forests around here in order to reforest.

roadclouds.338.284.jpg

Due to the rain, a lot of times in the morning there are clouds drifting through the valleys and ridges and it feels just like those ancient Chinese paintings that show clouds among the peaks.

landscape2.jpg

The place I have built here is a retreat and Taoist hermitage, built for the purpose of having some few serious students come for months or years in order to learn a most powerful system of cultivation while living in peace in the wilderness. I am also happy to share some of the deeper principles of Tai Chi, things which are being steadily hidden and lost from the mainstream, and a system of self defense which is a blend of over 100 of the Taoist internal arts, and consisting primarily of tai chi, bagua, praying mantis, and wing chun. It is not a martial art like the kind used in sports or competition, rather it is only for serious and deadly conflict, with the aim being to incapacitate an attacker in one second, as soon as they move.

My favorite subject though, is the Nei Kung, the path of power, and the Taoist path of the wizard.

landscape3.jpg

• thelerner, tumoessence, liminal_luke and 13 others said thanks

#2 Apech

Apech

Ghost Cat

• The Dao Bums
  • Pip
  • 11234 posts
  • Interests:Ancient Egypt, Hermeticism, Meditation, Buddhism other stuff

Posted 20 February 2017 - 02:16 PM

Hi Starjumper welcome back - that place looks amazing.

• dawei and Spotless said thanks for this

"Over himself, over his own body and mind, the individual is sovereign."  J. S. Mill

#3 Marblehead

Marblehead

The Wondering Taoist

• Steward+
  • Pip
  • 36523 posts
  • Interests:Short Skirts and Bikinis

Posted 20 February 2017 - 02:25 PM

I almost envy you but I won't because it's not good for my spirit.

Welcome back.  I'm glad you were able to convince Admin to allow it to happen.

Best wishes with your retreat.

When  you get the chance, have a mango slushie for me.  I love those things.  My experience with them was in Mexico.

Edited by Marblehead, 20 February 2017 - 02:25 PM.

• dawei said thanks for this

I reserve the right to be wrong.

YIN-YANG.jpg I reserve the right to change my mind. Anarchy4.jpg

Peace & Contentment!

#4 silent thunder

silent thunder

Oneironaut

• The Dao Bums
  • Pip
  • 3144 posts
  • Interests:Rain, Nature, Qi Gong, Nei Gong, Meditation, Kung Fu, Camping, Photography, Sacred Geometry, Lucid Dreaming, OBE's, Solfeggio Harmonics, Cymatics, Humorous Stuff...

Posted 20 February 2017 - 03:26 PM

*bow*

Wow!  Inspiring mate... really!

Just incredible...

• liminal_luke, cheya, Marblehead and 2 others said thanks

Not one raindrop has ever fallen in the wrong spot... there are no accidents.

Everything I Love and Everything I Hate come from the Same Source.

I don't believe everything I think.

stop glorifying busy

#5 Starjumper

Starjumper

Black Dragon

• The Dao Bums
  • Pip
  • 1616 posts

Posted 21 February 2017 - 02:15 PM

Hi Starjumper welcome back - that place looks amazing.

Thank you, it is very nice, but you know in some ways familiarity ends up making you take it for granted, although I'm sure I would feel it severely if I ever had to go live in a big city, or even a small town.  

What is especially nice is getting up early in the morning when it's still dark and just starting to get light, when the birds start to sing, and sit on the front porch drinking some tea with a cat resting on my lap while the day begins.

Edited by Starjumper, 21 February 2017 - 02:16 PM.

• liminal_luke, cheya, gendao and 2 others said thanks

#6 Starjumper

Starjumper

Black Dragon

• The Dao Bums
  • Pip
  • 1616 posts

Posted 21 February 2017 - 02:21 PM

I almost envy you but I won't because it's not good for my spirit.

Welcome back.  I'm glad you were able to convince Admin to allow it to happen.

Best wishes with your retreat.

When  you get the chance, have a mango slushie for me.  I love those things.  My experience with them was in Mexico.

Thanks Marblehead, I'm happy to be back, and the retreat is getting a slow start ... which is the main reason I wanted to return to Tao Bums = ) , it seems to be the about only place left on the internet that has people who are looking for a true system.

I will have a Mango smoothy and think of you, with best wishes.

One thing I forgot to put in my OP was that there are many people around here who are over 100 years old and still working on their farms.  It is called the Valley of Longevity, and the Sacred Valley.  it is one of the five official Shangri Las of the world and it is said to be the land of eternal springtime because the temperature here is always between 60 and 80 degrees F.

You should come on down and visit, and we can have a mango slushy.

• thelerner, gendao, Marblehead and 1 other said thanks

#7 Starjumper

Starjumper

Black Dragon

• The Dao Bums
  • Pip
  • 1616 posts

Posted 21 February 2017 - 02:36 PM

I was looking at the thread 'Questions to Kostas' and see that some people think it is really important to sit in full lotus, but I just want to say here that it is absolutely not necessary.  It is traditional for Taoists to sit meditating in chairs and it can get you anywhere you can possibly get by sitting in full lotus, in fact full lotus is limiting in some ways as far as energy cultivation aspects are concerned.  I know this because in my system of Nei Kung which my teacher used to achieve a very high level of immortal, full lotus is not required.

Taoists sit in chairs because Taoism is a warrior tradition and warriors need to be able to get up in a hurry in case of emergencies.  When sitting in bed cross legged with a pillow under your butt is perfectly fine, there is no need for full or half lotus.

Once upon a time a Taoist master made fun of those who sit in full lotus by asking "Watcha going to do if someone comes along and knocks you off your cushion?"  Which sums it up fairly well.

Speaking of Kostas, I met him when he came to a semi secret weekend self defense seminar in the mountains of Oregon where I taught some chi kung.  He told me that he left the system on his own initiative in order to study with Christian monks in his homeland who he said can develop the same kinds of abilities as John Chang.

• gendao, Marblehead, Jox and 2 others said thanks

#8 Starjumper

Starjumper

Black Dragon

• The Dao Bums
  • Pip
  • 1616 posts

Posted 22 February 2017 - 06:29 AM

Here's a video I made which shows a bit of the land.  I call it a one inch punch but technically it is fa jin, more or less the same as a one inch punch.  I made it while wearing a tank top so those interested in self defense can see in detail the arm movement that's used in slow motion, and with no verbal instruction in an attempt to emulate "the sage teaches with out speaking".  What is kind of cool is that if you turn your volume up you can hear the spooky background sounds of nature here in slow motion.

https://youtu.be/xsIZYKFaa28

I can't find how to attach a video in frame.

Also attached are pictures, the first one is a picture of the highway that goes to the property here, which is just up over the ridge to the right.  

Attached File  clouds.jpg   61.48KB   0 downloads

The second is what part of the driveway is like,

Attached File  road.jpg   8.37KB   0 downloads

and the third is what that part of the driveway feels like to some flatlanders, who say never again will they drive on that road.

Attached File  road2.jpg   48.11KB   0 downloads

Edited by Starjumper, 22 February 2017 - 06:44 AM.

• cheya, gendao and Spotless said thanks for this

#9 shazlor

shazlor

Dao Bum

• The Dao Bums
  • Pip
  • 33 posts
  • Interests:Memes

Posted 22 February 2017 - 07:24 AM

Hello Starjumper, I tried to PM you enquiring about your hermitage however it returned saying you cannot recieve messages. I wish to express my interest and open a dialogue with you about it, is there a way I can privately contact you?

Kind regards,
Shannon.
  • Starjumper said thanks for this

#10 Starjumper

Starjumper

Black Dragon

• The Dao Bums
  • Pip
  • 1616 posts

Posted 22 February 2017 - 08:00 AM

Hi Shannon, sorry I can't see how to turn on PMs here on this forum.  Please write to me at my email address  Starjumper7@hushmail.com  ...   My website is http://www.tienshan.net/index.html which also lists contact info.

Have a wonderful day,

Steve

• shazlor said thanks for this

#11 dawei

dawei

Dao Bum

• Admin
  • Pip
  • 8669 posts

Posted 22 February 2017 - 11:07 AM

Hi Shannon, sorry I can't see how to turn on PMs here on this forum.  Please write to me at my email address  Starjumper7@hushmail.com  ...   My website is http://www.tienshan.net/index.html which also lists contact info.

Have a wonderful day,

Steve

I've turned it back on... sorry to have missed that :)

• Starjumper said thanks for this

#12 Marblehead

Marblehead

The Wondering Taoist

• Steward+
  • Pip
  • 36523 posts
  • Interests:Short Skirts and Bikinis

Posted 23 February 2017 - 06:12 AM

Starjumper was invisible for a short while?  I think I will relate "enlightenment" with "invisibility".  Chuang Tzu speaks to the concept of being invisible.

• dawei and Starjumper said thanks for this

I reserve the right to be wrong.

YIN-YANG.jpg I reserve the right to change my mind. Anarchy4.jpg

Peace & Contentment!

#13 Starjumper

Starjumper

Black Dragon

• The Dao Bums
  • Pip
  • 1616 posts

Posted 23 February 2017 - 07:42 AM

Starjumper was invisible for a short while?  I think I will relate "enlightenment" with "invisibility".  Chuang Tzu speaks to the concept of being invisible.

=)  I wasn't able to sign on yesterday due to a software problem with the forum but it was fixed, thank you Dawei,

I don't know what Chuang Tzu wrote about invisibility but the word brings to mind the concept of an extreme case of yielding.  For example, whatever life (or people) throws at you you just let it pass through you and out as if it never was there, like you never were there.  Similar to the Bene GesseritI litany against fear.  I suppose it's also like an extreme case of non attachment for all you Buddhists out there.   However, unlike in Buddhism, attachments are allowed in Taoism, you just have to be mature about it and know what you are getting into, know if the attachment, which should bring joy, is worth the pain it will also bring.

I did have a self defense teacher, though, who had been a student of and learned this from my chi kung teacher, who was a high level operative in the CIA, who knew the art of physical invisibility and taught it to some CIA agents.  He was an amazing person.

Edited by Starjumper, 23 February 2017 - 07:44 AM.

• Marblehead, Jox and dawei said thanks for this

#14 Starjumper

Starjumper

Black Dragon

• The Dao Bums
  • Pip
  • 1616 posts

Posted 01 March 2017 - 10:03 AM

Early this morning view from the front veranda:

Attached File  fog1.JPG   84.72KB   0 downloads

Edited by Starjumper, 01 March 2017 - 10:04 AM.

• cheya and Marblehead said thanks for this

#15 qicat

qicat

simple plain cat

• The Dao Bums
  • Pip
  • 256 posts
  • Interests:Studying Medical Qigong.

...I am a very practical scientific cat... I read theory only after I experience it on my own neck... I wish I could tell you I do it because I "seek" something, but the honest answer is I am just curious...

Posted 01 March 2017 - 12:15 PM

I bless your efforts. Good luck!

5c7c52a5b681b32cc9bc19b69536b604.jpg

• gendao, Jox, dawei and 1 other said thanks

#16 silent thunder

silent thunder

Oneironaut

• The Dao Bums
  • Pip
  • 3144 posts
  • Interests:Rain, Nature, Qi Gong, Nei Gong, Meditation, Kung Fu, Camping, Photography, Sacred Geometry, Lucid Dreaming, OBE's, Solfeggio Harmonics, Cymatics, Humorous Stuff...

Posted 01 March 2017 - 12:32 PM

Count me in on the blessings.
  • dawei and Starjumper said thanks for this

Not one raindrop has ever fallen in the wrong spot... there are no accidents.

Everything I Love and Everything I Hate come from the Same Source.

I don't believe everything I think.

stop glorifying busy

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users