• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Cauvery

Cauvery

Dao Bum

• The Dao Bums
  • Pip
  • 62 posts
  • Interests:travel, trains, linguistics, yoga, tantra, ocean, waves, wandering, sky-gazing

Posted 05 January 2017 - 02:30 PM

I am so glad that I found this place.  I am practicedAYP for a decade --on and off.  Not so happy, lately :)

Guess, some of you here would understand why!

The freedom to post one's views without the fear of restrictions is refreshing.

I have come to see finally, that a system that would only allow opinions and views in favor of it, is not really a open system as it claims to be.  I also realized that AYP cannot take any criticism, not just in their forums, but in places like Amazon where they sell books.

When we see the critical reviews of AYP in Amazon, almost all of them have comments, defending the position of AYP.  The AYP system or the followers feel compelled to reply and defend almost every single critical review.  If it is as large as it claims  (from a 2011 post), that 20,000 people on an average visit AYP in a month.  Some of them are not going to like it.  This is common sense.  A large spiritual organization or a business for that matter, which AYP has turned lately (There is nothing wrong in business; rather come out and say it is a business. $10/month subscription is about what Netflix or Spotify charge for their service).   I don't have problem paying $10/month to Netflix, Spotify or AYP as long as I get some value for it.  It's their own claims about, yoga being "open" (source) to all, readily available.  Many traditional systems are almost attacked. Claims have been made that traditional systems halted the progress of entire humanity.   AYP and it's scientific methods changed that and made humans progress.  I can post a dozen links to corroborate what I am saying here (from AYP).  I am realizing there is no point.

I have to admit that I am upset that I wasted several years of my life on something that turned out completely different that what it claimed to be.  Also, how come, I did not see what was obvious for years?   May be there is some meaning to the time I spent there.  

Anyway, time to move on.   The discontent with AYP made me find this place.  So thanks to AYP for that.  I found the post of some ex-AYP followers and even one ex-AYP forum moderator here.  The new perspective that I got from reading some of their posts made me see several things that I was not seeing for years.  Also, the wealth of information and other alternating techniques, and the open discussions just blew me.

Glad, I am here :)

• cheya, Aetherous, OldWolf and 1 other said thanks

Mano budhyahankara chithaa ninaham, Na cha srothra jihwe na cha graana nethrer, Na cha vyoma bhoomir na thejo na vayu, Chidananada Roopa Shivoham, Shivoham.   

(From Nirvana shatakam by Adi Shankara - translation by Swami Vivekananda)

I am neither the mind, nor the intellect, nor the ego, nor the mind-stuff; I am neither the body, nor the changes of the body; I am neither the senses of hearing, taste, smell, or sight, Nor am I the ether, the earth, the fire, the air; I am Existence Absolute, Knowledge Absolute, Bliss Absolute - I am He, I am He. (Shivoham, Shivoham).

#2 Marblehead

Marblehead

The Wondering Taoist

• Steward+
  • Pip
  • 35516 posts
  • Interests:Short Skirts and Bikinis

Posted 05 January 2017 - 03:34 PM

Hello cauvery, and welcome.

Your membership is approved and we're happy you found your way to us. We look forward to accompanying you on some of the way that you still have to go.

Please take the time to read the two posts pinned at the top of this Welcome page and take a look at the forum terms and rules. This covers all you need to know when getting started.

For the first week you will be restricted to ten posts per day but after that you can post as much as you like. Also, until you’ve posted fifteen times in the forums, you’ll be a “Junior Bum” with somewhat restricted access and will be allowed only two private messages per day.

Good luck in your pursuits and best wishes to you,

Marblehead and the TDB team

Hi cauvery,

How about rather than thinking you wasted several years you view it as it took you several years to learn your lesson?

You are welcome to jump right in ongoing discussions, revive an older thread, start a new thread of your own, or start a discussion in the "Newcomer Corner" sub-forms to expand on your introduction or ask general questions to help you get started.

May you enjoy your time here.

Marblehead

• MIchael80 and Cauvery said thanks for this

I reserve the right to be wrong.

YIN-YANG.jpg I reserve the right to change my mind. Anarchy4.jpg

Peace & Contentment!

#3 Kar3n

Kar3n

Dao Bum

• Concierge
  • Pip
  • 1016 posts

Posted 05 January 2017 - 03:36 PM

Welcome to the bums :)

• Marblehead and Jeff said thanks for this
Recognize mind has never once had a thought that wasn't your own choice already.
Mindfully choose compassionate thoughts that are a pleasure to experience and the urge to silence thought passes.
With no urges, the need to cling to some thought passes with it.
Unlimited love,
-Bud

#4 Jeff

Jeff

Focused on the moment

• The Dao Bums
  • Pip
  • 2987 posts

Posted 05 January 2017 - 04:44 PM

Welcome :)

Had many a good debates with Yogani myself.
  • Marblehead and Kar3n said thanks for this

#5 OldWolf

OldWolf

Dao Bum

• The Dao Bums
  • Pip
  • 4312 posts
  • Interests:Practice

Posted 05 January 2017 - 05:25 PM

Welcome to the TDB. You will find much discussion of varying methods here. The site was created with that spirit in mind.  :wub:

#6 Jonesboy

Jonesboy

Dao Bum

• The Dao Bums
  • Pip
  • 456 posts

Posted 05 January 2017 - 07:34 PM

I would agree AYP has changed a lot.

Welcome to the Bums :)

#7 awaken

awaken

Dao Bum

• The Dao Bums
  • Pip
  • 639 posts
  • Interests:Dan dao, Chinese Kung fu, Chinese medicine

丹道,武術,中醫

Welcome to my space
    http://www.thedaobums.com/forum/487-awaken/

Posted 06 January 2017 - 05:05 AM

Welcome

What is AYP?
  • Marblehead said thanks for this
Welcome to read my posts and practice with me on line

http://www.thedaobum...rum/487-awaken/

The dao bums

This is my qq group

Welcome to join me

#8 Jeff

Jeff

Focused on the moment

• The Dao Bums
  • Pip
  • 2987 posts

Posted 06 January 2017 - 05:22 AM

Welcome
What is AYP?

Here you go...

http://www.aypsite.org
  • Marblehead, Kar3n, awaken and 1 other said thanks

#9 Cauvery

Cauvery

Dao Bum

• The Dao Bums
  • Pip
  • 62 posts
  • Interests:travel, trains, linguistics, yoga, tantra, ocean, waves, wandering, sky-gazing

Posted 06 January 2017 - 07:03 AM

I apologize, I should have realized a lot many may have never heard of AYP.  Jeff, thanks for posting the link.

I would go on to add more starting  with the following quote from AYP (stands for Advanced Yoga Practices) home page.

An open and integrated system of advanced yoga practices is offered here which will unfold lasting inner peace and natural ecstatic radiance. 

It was promoted over a decade with a premise that all yoga practices should be "open" source and available freely to every one around the world.  Lately, due to financial difficulties, they have to change their system to a paid one (at least for all new lessons and many other things).

IMO it goes directly against the principles they promoted that yoga should be "open" and available to one and all.  Traditional systems and systems that charge money were criticized openly by many forum members.  Where as criticisms and open questions about AYP were not accepted with an open mind.  They were and are getting censored with the reasoning that it will affect the progress of those, who follow the system and the new comers into the AYP system.

I personally never opposed yoga schools that charge money.  It is about them going against their own stated "core" policies and the way it was promoted.  When something changes it's core principles or fundamentals once, what is the guarantee it won't change it again and become something else in the next 5 years?  I saw many long time practitioners just leave.  I am one of them now.

I have nothing against the teachings of AYP.  I still feel they are very valuable unlike how some others feel.  It's just about the system preaching one thing and taking a U turn.

Edited by cauvery, 06 January 2017 - 07:04 AM.

Mano budhyahankara chithaa ninaham, Na cha srothra jihwe na cha graana nethrer, Na cha vyoma bhoomir na thejo na vayu, Chidananada Roopa Shivoham, Shivoham.   

I am neither the mind, nor the intellect, nor the ego, nor the mind-stuff; I am neither the body, nor the changes of the body; I am neither the senses of hearing, taste, smell, or sight, Nor am I the ether, the earth, the fire, the air; I am Existence Absolute, Knowledge Absolute, Bliss Absolute - I am He, I am He. (Shivoham, Shivoham).

#10 Cauvery

Cauvery

Dao Bum

• The Dao Bums
  • Pip
  • 62 posts

Posted 06 January 2017 - 07:11 AM

Sorry, I had to remove what I typed here about the smear campaign against venerable traditions and gurus that were tolerated (even subtly encouraged) on AYP forums.   I strongly felt that it should be a separate topic by itself to bring awareness.  The text of the post is mostly intact on the following thread.

http://www.thedaobum...-in-ayp-forums/

Edited by cauvery, 06 January 2017 - 09:50 AM.

#11 Marblehead

Marblehead

The Wondering Taoist

• Steward+
  • Pip
  • 35516 posts
  • Interests:Short Skirts and Bikinis

Posted 06 January 2017 - 03:22 PM

Sorry, I had to remove what I typed here about the smear campaign against venerable traditions and gurus that were tolerated (even subtly encouraged) on AYP forums.   I strongly felt that it should be a separate topic by itself to bring awareness.  The text of the post is mostly intact on the following thread.

http://www.thedaobum...-in-ayp-forums/

Good idea.  If we are going to criticize something there needs be the availability for opposing views.  (I won't get into this discussion as I do not have enough knowledge to enable me to make unprejudiced judgements.)

• Cauvery said thanks for this

I reserve the right to be wrong.

YIN-YANG.jpg I reserve the right to change my mind. Anarchy4.jpg

Peace & Contentment!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: new comer

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users