Vajra Fist

The 'money' mantra

I was reading about the mantra Om Vasudhare Svaha, which is supposedly a Buddhist mantra to increase material wealth. Apparently it comes from Sakyamuni, but I haven't been able to locate the relevent passages. It just seems so contrary to the main bulk of the sutras, which (to my understanding) teaches equanimity and non attachment whether you are in poverty or wealth.

Does anyone know anymore about this mantra and how it fits into the dharma? Has anyone used it for an extended period of time?

• Thanks 1

IMHO this sounds like superstition hitched onto Buddhism to give it 'authority'... No different really from Christians deciding that there's something magical about the water at Lourdes.

I think the basic question for anything claiming to be Dharma that feels 'off' is - does this, do the qualities involved here, foster virtue/concentration/wisdom?

AN 7.79:

Then Ven. Upali went to the Blessed One and, on arrival, having bowed down to him, sat to one side. As he was sitting there he said to the Blessed One: "It would be good, lord, if the Blessed One would teach me the Dhamma in brief such that, having heard the Dhamma from the Blessed One, I might dwell alone, secluded, heedful, ardent, & resolute."

"Upali, the qualities of which you may know, 'These qualities do not lead to utter disenchantment, to dispassion, to cessation, to calm, to direct knowledge, to self-awakening, nor to Unbinding': You may categorically hold, 'This is not the Dhamma, this is not the Vinaya, this is not the Teacher's instruction.'

"As for the qualities of which you may know, 'These qualities lead to utter disenchantment, to dispassion, to cessation, to calm, to direct knowledge, to self-awakening, to Unbinding': You may categorically hold, 'This is the Dhamma, this is the Vinaya, this is the Teacher's instruction.'"

• Like 3

Thanks for your reply. I decided to try one mala of the mantra this evening out of curiosity. While we're not in debt, it's always a bit tight for my family at the end of the month.

I had just finished my Flying Phoenix qigong session when I sat down to recite, so I may have been a bit opened up already.

But about half way through the mala I started receiving visions of the homeless, the destitute, people in third world countries struggling to make ends meet. And I felt an overwhelming power of compassion. It was like the power of the tide.

My sense is that Vasudhara is a genuine Boddhisatva, dedicated to offering help to those suffering from the demon of financial dire straits.

About half way through the mantra I felt a voice asking me: 'when faced with these images of others suffering far worse than you, why do you continue to recite my name?' The only answer I could find was that I was reciting for their sake, so that they might be free from their suffering. At that point the mantra started to work again and I was filled with the urge to help others. Afterwards I prostrated and asked for forgiveness for my selfishness.

I will strive to recite the mantra every evening for the sake of others in suffering.

It was quite a powerful experience. My medical clairvoyant tested it recently and said it would open my crown chakra. In hindsight I believe that's what may have happened this evening.

• Like 3

Very beautiful experience. Thank you so much for sharing.

Have you previously had visions during practices?

Can you tell us what may have been happening with the crown opening? Sensations, etc?

Just a powerful rushing sensation, connectedness with others and a feeling of my own place in the world.

I sometimes see a luminescent figure and have waves of peace when I recite the nembutsu, but nothing so direct.

I suppose the fact that I needed such a vivid lesson to correct wrong thinking is a pretty poor reflection of the state of my cultivation.

I'd be interested to hear of anyone else who has had similar experiences.

• Like 1

I suppose the fact that I needed such a vivid lesson to correct wrong thinking is a pretty poor reflection of the state of my cultivation.

For what it's worth...I believe it's quite the opposite. Thank you for sharing.

• Like 2

Just a powerful rushing sensation, connectedness with others and a feeling of my own place in the world.

I sometimes see a luminescent figure and have waves of peace when I recite the nembutsu, but nothing so direct.

I'd be interested to hear of anyone else who has had similar experiences.

I just wonder why somebody so powerful needs helpers....

Good question. The simple answer is that I don't know. My sense of it is that it can be used as a prayer for the poor and destitute in a similar way that the Medicine Buddha mantra can be recited for the benefit of the dying and departed.

Edited by Vajra Fist
  • Like 2

This is an interesting topic because I have dabbled with this mantra on and off but I always feel a bit uneasy about it. I wonder if anyone has done long enough to get any results?

As far as I know, there are a number of 'wealth' mantras in Vajrayana, but none specifically for money because the 'wealth' is more a reference to the merits of virtue, equanimity, wisdom and compassion. One is indeed wealthy beyond measure when these qualities begin to bear fruit thru disciplined & joyful cultivation.

Chief among the above-mentioned mantras is the Yellow Dzambhala (also spelled Jambhala).

Its my understanding that no empowerment is required to practice it, although a faithful adherence to ritual adds depth.

This PDF https://fpmt.org/wp-content/uploads/education/teachings/texts/water_charity_pretas_c5.pdf sheds light on the significance of ritual (offerings) and how mantras are traditionally practiced in Vajrayana, specifically in relation to the generation of supreme bodhicitta, equated with that of a fearless heart in taking on sentient beings' dukkha. Fearlessness, the mark of all bodhisattvas, is seen as the ultimate wealth blessing because it can only be born in one who's overcome all notions of self/other duality.

• Thanks 1

From a traditional Indian Tantric POV, there is not necessarily anything wrong with physical wealth because in a non-dual world, everything is divine. 

I have learned some specific wealth practices and they appear to work. However, I'm not willing to pay whatever karmic cost there may be, so I stopped using them. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, forestofemptiness said:

From a traditional Indian Tantric POV, there is not necessarily anything wrong with physical wealth because in a non-dual world, everything is divine. 

I have learned some specific wealth practices and they appear to work. However, I'm not willing to pay whatever karmic cost there may be, so I stopped using them. 

Would you mind elaborating on both what the practices are and the karmic cost please?

*Edit: I've also seen Lama's recommend certain sutras like the heart sutra diamond sutra Golden light sutra and Sungata sutra for help with money problems.

Edited by dmattwads

9 hours ago, dmattwads said:

Would you mind elaborating on both what the practices are and the karmic cost please?

*Edit: I've also seen Lama's recommend certain sutras like the heart sutra diamond sutra Golden light sutra and Sungata sutra for help with money problems.

It is not possible to receive the proper empowerment anymore. 

• Sad 1