Shad282

How to not Hate but Love and Enjoy Sorrow (negative feeling)?

The Bön tradition takes exactly this approach. We acknowledge and fully experience what thoughts or emotions are present. In the context of resting in the correct view, they naturally liberate.

There is a succinct and elegant method known as the Five-fold Teachings of Dawa Gyaltsen that offer a very direct way to cultivate this. Dawa Gyaltsen's teachings can be remembered in a simple poem -

Vision is mind

Mind is empty

Emptiness is clear light

Clear light is union

Union is great bliss

Here is a link to the first in a series of 8 free online teachings on this method -

I hope it helps you.

thanks very nice videos! so it is about emptiness and awareness... but wouldn't emptiness be a little like escaping thoughts, especially negative ones?

he spoke about some tricks, like when you go to see if there are any thoughts in ur mind and you find none, and it is due that  you enter a thought of emptiness but not actually emptiness. what are the other mind tricks and how to test if you fell into one, in order to have a genuine experience and not a mind made?

thanks.

• Like 1

thanks very nice videos! so it is about emptiness and awareness... but wouldn't emptiness be a little like escaping thoughts, especially negative ones?

he spoke about some tricks, like when you go to see if there are any thoughts in ur mind and you find none, and it is due that  you enter a thought of emptiness but not actually emptiness. what are the other mind tricks and how to test if you fell into one, in order to have a genuine experience and not a mind made?

thanks.

You can look at emptiness as escaping negative thoughts, positive thoughts, anything...

But i try to be more focused on the who that is escaping - that's where the answers are.

The beauty of space is that it has peculiar characteristics - it can accept anything, it hosts everything, it has no point of reference or limitation, it is boundless, it is indestructible, etc... And it cannot ever be separated from awareness, so one is never escaping from anything really.

Emptiness is not escape, it is the source, the primordial purity from which all the enlightened characteristics arise.

It is self knowing and clear. Even the negative thoughts are simply ornaments because the one who would be bothered has no point of reference...

In terms of mind tricks, knowing if you are deluded, and genuine experience - I think some time spent on the cushion is important. You need to develop confidence and stability in the nature of mind as you dig deeper into the essence of experience. In Rinpoche's book, Awakening the Luminous Mind, the first half is spent teaching basic trekchod practice. Connecting with and resting in the nature of mind with stability.

[edit: the second half of the book is the 5 Fold Teaching of Dawa Gyaltsen]

Here is a practical method - 

Edited by steve
  • Like 2

An old Worthy once said: "When cold, freeze. When hot, burn." Maybe the correct way to handle grief and sorrow or any emotional response to circumstances is to just fully experience them when they occur but not 'entertain' or cling to them. And that ability not to cling seems to me to be a benefit of increased spiritual maturity.

• Like 1

How to not Hate but Love and Enjoy Sorrow (negative feeling)?

hmnn, have kids.

Some say having kids is like being pecked to death by chickens.We have 5 and I love each and every peck mark.

• Like 1