Sign in to follow this  
Wu Ming Jen

Is social media dead?

What are your thoughts of the new face of facebook? My feed is loaded with ads, fake news and more news.

Then there is the issue of everyone talking about things in the media, going along with thoughts that are not even their own.

I like the anti social part (not being there in person) of creeping on friends and family to see what they are up to and read about their own actual experiences. 

The comments most of the time is like someone picking up a phone when someone else is talking and instead of hanging up they ease drop and talk about something entirely different or what they think one side of the topic is.

I no longer go on facebook it is dead to me for a while now. This post wants to know whats on your mind?

• Like 3

That's cool Marblehead,I know you have something funny to say,your not holding back are you?

In my mind I think you live in England. I lived in Florida quiet a bit me self but you do not seem to fit my generalized profile. 

That's cool Marblehead,I know you have something funny to say,your not holding back are you?

In my mind I think you live in England. I lived in Florida quiet a bit me self but you do not seem to fit my generalized profile. 

Oh, I pick on the media enough.

Well, I'm not a native Floridian.  Born and raised in Northern Ohio.  20 years in the Army then settled here in November, 1979.

I never put foot on England.

• Like 2

Seems like social media is just another medium for the usual human town gossip, prone to all the usual jabbering and tedium.  Occasionally there are gems that flow along, but as was said, it's all riddled with the advertising.  And advertising tends to be just like all advertising... pushy, intrusive and sharp.  Unwanted, but there anyway.

Eleanor Roosevelt summed it up succinctly:

Great minds discuss concepts.

Average minds discuss events.

Simple minds talk about people.

This sums up my lack of interest in most social interactions. 

If it's 1, I'm in for the long haul, I can talk and listen for hours.

If it's 2 I will sometimes pretend to be interested, depending on the events...

If it's 3, I'm out... I don't even pretend to play along or participate any longer.

• Like 3

There used to be groups like Yahoo groups - closed or open. Now they got transitioned to Facebook because Yahoo trended out.

Other than groups, Facebook is more about 'It's Awesome" and 'Lovit" inane comments.

• Like 1

I'm on FB but you won't find me as my account is basically on lockdown.   I only use it to communicate with a handful of people but there is other software that might be more useful if some are in say China... like WeChat is the new norm.

I don't really get social media... but then, I don't have cable TV nor a radio in my car... I guess I just avoid being told what to think... but I can't seem to find my wife's volume or mute button  :lol:

Sign in to follow this