nine tailed fox

Innovative mantra counting methods

Guys

What are some ways of counting mantra which will not attract unnecessary attention, besides rosary and tally counters ? 

Any technique or method to count mantra anytime, anywhere easily without attracting unnecessary attention

With rosary and tally counters,  it attracts too much attention

There is one way of counting on fingers but its complicated and cant be used as easily and readily  as tally counters

I use one of two methods.  Either visualizing numbers -- huge, so I can't miss them.  Or moving my awareness into each consecutive finger, without moving the fingers.

• Like 4

How about counting with each repetition like:

one; Om-Ah-Ra-Pa-Tza-Na-Dhi, two; Om-Ah-Ra-Pa-Tza-Na-Dhi, three; Om-Ah-Ra-Pa-Tza-Na-Dhi, etc.

If you loss count you can continue like this:

two.one; Om-Ah-Ra-Pa-Tza-Na-Dhi, two.two; Om-Ah-Ra-Pa-Tza-Na-Dhi, three.two; Om-Ah-Ra-Pa-Tza-Na-Dhi, etc.

and further:

three.one; Om-Ah-Ra-Pa-Tza-Na-Dhi, . . .

This is especially good for beginners since it allows you to gauge your progress, if you set a timer for five minutes and you find yours self reciting one thousand.six; Om-Ah-Ra-Pa-Tza-Na-Dhi when the timer goes off, you have a lot of work to do.

Note Aetherous posted this while I was writing the above:

One friend of mine says that the highest method is to mentally keep track of your count.

while I was writing this.

Edit: Corrected my spelling of Aetherous in my post.

• Like 1

for big counts I move my awareness to my fingers.  sometimes when my fingers are together once I've reached 10, then it'll pinky pinky being 11 to pinky thumb is 15, pinky other thumb 16.  Thus getting to 100, using finger abacus. 

By time. Work out how many mantras you can recite in a given period of time (e.g. 10 recitations in 15 seconds). Then recite for a set time, calculate the number at the end.

You could count on your fingers fairly easily up to 50.

the right hand has the the thumb to the first finger, then you move it down and up the fingers for a count of 10 (you will start with thumb to index and, after 10 ups/down counts, you'll end on the pinky; then you can do the next 10 count and end on the index finger). You can keep track of these rounds on your left hand. Once you have done 50 total, you can switch hands to balance it. (and get 100 total)

**Depending on how long it takes to articulate the mantra (viz. if you hold each mudra for a while), you will have decently expanded flow-through from the different mudras. Going from the active left hand to passive right hand or vice versa can do some pretty big left-to-right energy shifts too (to spiral the energy of your body inwards or out, depending on which you start with).

Thats cool but its not as easily and readily Usable as the tally counter

You have to do it in one go

I want something which can be as easily and readily used as tally counter but as simple as possiblr which will not attract unnecessary attention

Edited by nine tailed fox

You can use a combination of left and right hand counting by digits and finger tips to get to a hundred count. Then start again.

Left hand thumb starts at the left ring finger second digit and descends to pinky last digit and upward - in a counter clockwise direction to a count of 10, ending in the last digit of the index finger.

Right hand thumb starts on right ring finger second digit and descends down and to pinky lowest digit, moving in clockwise direction, for a count of ten, ending in last digit of the right index finger.

Left count increments by one with each cycle of 10 count in the right hand. When the left hand has counted 10, a total of hundred count is done.

This is how we are taught to count when we are given the upanayanam (sacred thread and initiation into the Gayatri mantra).

Edited by dwai

Guys

What are some ways of counting mantra which will not attract unnecessary attention, besides rosary and tally counters ? 

Any technique or method to count mantra anytime, anywhere easily without attracting unnecessary attention

With rosary and tally counters,  it attracts too much attention

There is one way of counting on fingers but its complicated and cant be used as easily and readily  as tally counters

You can time yourself doing one round of the mala, then all you need is a watch or clock.

You can time yourself doing one round of the mala, then all you need is a watch or clock.

This is how I did/do it.

M