Sign in to follow this  
gatito

Santa

if santa doesnt exist physically do you think he exists energy wise as a manifestation of all the belief in santa by kids?

Could be, sure!

Sad, imo, to not let children believe in a little magic and joy; opting instead to slap them down early to ingrain them against their own young ideas of what might be possible - in favor of their parent's bah-humbug viewpoint.

The last line in the OP's article speaks of the benefit of squelching kids' belief in the "supernatural". /-;

As for me and mine, all things are possible and this house believes in Santa. (-:

• Like 6

The Santa Claus myth comes down from Siberian Shamanism in which the tribal shaman gave out Amanita muscaria mushrooms to his/her tribal members. Flying reindeer are common hallucinations.

Amanita_muscaria(tfl-c0229-35).jpg

Edited by ralis
  • Like 3

The Santa Claus character is based on a Dutch version of St. Nicholas, which came to the U.S. through their colonies, like New-Amsterdam, called today New-York. Therefore the debate on the existance of Santa can be reduced to the debate on the existance of that bishop.

Concerning the anamita muscaria theory, it seems rather far-fetched. Ethnologists reported that these mushrooms are indeed consumed raw by shamans in Siberia, but no evidences exists for their use in western or central Europe, contrary to other hallucinogens like the deadly nightshade or the hemp. So if we follow the hallucinogen theory, Santa would more likely be clothed in black and green. A more satisfying explanation would be the use of these colors in St. Nicholas clothings during processions.

• Like 2

I'm with Rene, even though I'm Jewish.  Santa as the spirit of giving and celebration, personified.  No mushrooms needed B)

• Like 4

hanukkah_harry_shirt-2t.gif?w=479

Edit: to make pic appear! Thanks Kar3n!!

2nd edit: Damn. LOL

3rd edit: Least I got the link back on. Oh well.

Ho Ho Ho! Merry Christmas!

4th edit: By Karen

5th edit: wow, that's a whole diff url. I think yours went to the source & mine was layered up. Thanks for doing that, Kar3n! Now I just hope the image isn't offensive; wouldn't that be a hoot? :D

Edited by rene
  • Like 4

It did not like your link, so I found a new link for the same pic.

I knew you could work some magic (-:

Santa-magic-670x447.jpg

• Like 2

Winter solstice is observed by all forever. The spirit of giving is alive and well thanks Santa. America did not celebrate christmas until well into the 18 hundreds because the puritans knew their make believe story had nothing to do with the pagan naturalist who celebrate nature. The puritans god is not apart of nature being from somewhere else.

The psychological damage created by modern religions has a much more severe effect than all holidays put together. Looking at origins of the holidays pre christian shows a great respect for the natural world and the unfolding of life itself/

Edited by Wu Ming Jen
  • Like 1

Yes. It can get quite interesting if origins of the myth are more closely examined. Although, I think that these origins can also be just as psychologically damaging as the modern religions to which you refer.

Krampus_Morzger_Pass_Salzburg_2008_04.jp

Krampus

• Like 1

Sign in to follow this