_/\_  The Katyn story is very controversial.  It started out as a piece of Goebbels propaganda in 1943, blaming the Russians for what the Russians maintained was the doing of the Germans in 1940.  This view lasted till the Gorbachev era, when some documents were presented supposedly implicating Stalin.  However, experts later concluded that they were fake.  The case went to European courts and human rights organizations several times, and was bounced back and forth as the side not getting what it sought to prove filed more lawsuits.  No conclusive proof of Russia's involvement was ever obtained, but the myth fueled by propaganda acquired a life of its own.

• Like 1

I'm certainly not conflating Soviet with Russian (nor am I conflating  Prawo i Sprawiedliwość with Polish).

_/\_

• Like 1

I'm certainly not conflating Soviet with Russian (nor am I conflating  Prawo i Sprawiedliwość with Polish).

_/\_

Ah, good old Europe.  :)

• Like 1

_/\_  The Katyn story is very controversial.  It started out as a piece of Goebbels propaganda in 1943, blaming the Russians for what the Russians maintained was the doing of the Germans in 1940.  This view lasted till the Gorbachev era, when some documents were presented supposedly implicating Stalin.  However, experts later concluded that they were fake.  The case went to European courts and human rights organizations several times, and was bounced back and forth as the side not getting what it sought to prove filed more lawsuits.  No conclusive proof of Russia's involvement was ever obtained, but the myth fueled by propaganda acquired a life of its own.

So you are suggesting that Katyn is myth? 

So you are suggesting that Katyn is myth? 

No, I am suggesting that propaganda creates myths around actual events.  Does it surprise you?

• Like 2