Sign in to follow this  
Wells

Brexit

Sarah Olney's interview with Julia Hartley-Brewer was cut short by her press officer after a brutal grilling from our presenter.

The interview lasted just three minutes before the newly elected Richmond Park MP was dragged off air.

Julia began by mischievously asking "when's the second by-election," before suggesting that the Richmond Park voters didn't really know what they were voting for - echoing the claims made by Remainers seeking a re-run of the EU referendum.

Our presenter also pointed out that Olney's margin of victory was similar to that achieved by the Leave campaign in June.

Olney insisted she and her fellow Lib Dems accept the result of the EU referendum and merely want a further vote on the terms of Brexit - prompting scorn from Julia.

The interview ended with Olney falling silent, before her press officer ended the call. 

Listen to the interview above.

This is results was a great one. A smug Tory with a massive majority thought that if he stepped down from his party in protest against a new air-plane runway in his constituency he would cruse back into his seat as an independent.

NOOOOOOO

Rather then the locals being impressed with his integrity in standing up for them about an important local issue - the area, which voted 73% in favour to remain in the EU, used it as an anti-anti-EU vote and elected a completely dormant candidate, just because that candidate favours remaining in the EU.

For those unfamiliar with UK political parties, the winning candidate was a Lib Dem, a small centre party between right wing Conservatives/Tories and left wing Labour. This small party went into coalition with the Tories two general elections ago as the Tories didn't have enough seats for a majority. The Lib Dems then had some power and influence but were totally destroyed in the last election for sacrificing their principles.

But now - they just over turned a massive majority and come back from the dead for being a pro EU party. As said two paragraphs ago, this region was always strong remaining  - but, as the article says, Brexit is now a defining issue in nearly everything political

Edited by Miffymog

O Fortuna

velut luna

statu variabilis,

semper crescis

aut decrescis;

vita detestabilis

nunc obdurat

et tunc curat

ludo mentis aciem,

egestatem,

potestatem

dissolvit ut glaciem.

That's all I have to say.

• Like 2

I voted leave. I didn't do it out of racism or border control but purely because of the silly amounts of money we are forced to send to countries such as France and Poland when we can't even afford to fix our own problems (like the thousands of ex military homeless people living in cities in England, our lack of defence budget, our ongoing fight with the SNP, etc).

Then I met some new people. Some of them are current generation immigrants. One of those is my kundalini teacher. Obviously they voted remain. And I feel a bit guilty. But I also feel that sacrifices have to be made to make a country better. But on that hand when you understand that everyone is One, what is a country exactly? So I am unsure. If I had to vote again I probably wouldn't vote at all, because I feel so conflicted.

Meanwhile in the UK you are only "cool" if you are a far left wing feminist SJW, a good example are all these "No tories" lines on peoples dating profiles.

Watching and trying to follow the livestream Supreme Court today I can't help thinking the following:

Before the referendum there should have been clear legal advice on the process of Article 50 and how it can be activated.  So we all knew where we stood and what the status of the referendum was.  Secondly there should have been an independent study of the possible effects of the yes or no vote.  e.g. hard brexit implications, soft brexit implication, remain implication, so people could make an informed choice.

Cameroon was an arse.  My conclusion.

Watching and trying to follow the livestream Supreme Court today I can't help thinking the following:

Before the referendum there should have been clear legal advice on the process of Article 50 and how it can be activated.  So we all knew where we stood and what the status of the referendum was.  Secondly there should have been an independent study of the possible effects of the yes or no vote.  e.g. hard brexit implications, soft brexit implication, remain implication, so people could make an informed choice.

Cameroon was an arse.  My conclusion.

This is true. Cameron could easily have worded the referendum so that the outcome was simply legally binding. Instead, he made the wording of it advisory, as he had no desire himself (possibly due to personal financial reasons) to leave the EU.

But - the good news is that, from what I've been picking up from reading various news websites, if triggering article 50 goes to Parliament first, both Tory and Labour MPs will vote it through. Labour, in the form of Corbyn may well try to make it slightly awkward, but when he does makes these noises, other Labour MPs just talk it down.

Possibly bigger than this is the outcome of the Italian vote yesterday. The relatively pro-EU Premier was voted down by a 60% - 40% majority. He has now stepped down.

His pro-EU political party has 31% support of the country, however, the anti-EU 5 Star party has 30% and the anti-EU Northan League party 16%.

If these two who both want out of the EU go into some sort of coalition in order to achieve their aims, they have a clear majority. And how these two parties take advantage of the mild political chaos in Italy will have a large impact on the future of the EU.

But Italy is in a tough place. They hate the 100,000 plus immigrants that have landed on their shores in the last year. They think the open borders of the EU encourage this. They also hate the austerity measures imposed upon them by the ECB.

However, their banking industry is in taters and is quite likely to require a bail out from whom? The ECB, or other words, Germany.

Possibly bigger than this is the outcome of the Italian vote yesterday. The relatively pro-EU Premier was voted down by a 60% - 40% majority. He has now stepped down.

His pro-EU political party has 31% support of the country, however, the anti-EU 5 Star party has 30% and the anti-EU Northan League party 16%.

If these two who both want out of the EU go into some sort of coalition in order to achieve their aims, they have a clear majority. And how these two parties take advantage of the mild political chaos in Italy will have a large impact on the future of the EU.

But Italy is in a tough place. They hate the 100,000 plus immigrants that have landed on their shores in the last year. They think the open borders of the EU encourage this. They also hate the austerity measures imposed upon them by the ECB.

However, their banking industry is in taters and is quite likely to require a bail out from whom? The ECB, or other words, Germany.

Typo meets colloquialism -- "banking industry is in taters" had me momentarily thinking, "Taters? What the heck??? Oh! Tatters"

Now I'm hungry.

Back on-topic (sort of) remember how I said early in that other Brexit thread <link> that the US Presidential election of 1860 was relevant? The slavery-supporting Democrat Party was in the majority but was split between those who wanted to take a hard stance and those who wanted a softer stance. The slavery-opposing Republican Party won the election without even bothering to put itself on the ballot in every state. One of the Union members decided to leave the Union and the central government first agreed and then refused.

The next few decades were ugly...

• Like 1

Sign in to follow this