26 replies to this topic

#17 Andrei

Andrei

Dao Bum

• The Dao Bums
  • Pip
  • 1383 posts

Posted 25 October 2016 - 11:07 AM

That sounds a bit depressing man. Am I really more prone to anxiety and releasing cortisol

Yes but you can control that. Look into adaptogen herbs, or adrenal support herbs.

What comes into my mind right now is Rhodiola, Ashwagandha and Reishi.

This is what I take and I am fine. And go to gym and keep your muscular tonus and strength and you'll be fine.

#18 dust

dust

灰眼胡

• The Dao Bums
  • Pip
  • 2207 posts

Posted 25 October 2016 - 11:55 AM

Pizza, burgers, enchiladas, burritos, nachos with beef cheese salsa lettuce sour cream, sandwiches with meat inside, eggs and toast with bacon, chicken egg rolls, etc. I'm really just describing normal types of foods eaten in America that tend to have balanced carb-protein-fats...those work fine for gaining while lifting weights.

You're describing an American diet, sure. You're also describing the highway to heart disease, stroke, diabetes, and even dementia. This diet could make him bigger, but not in a good way. Health should not be sacrificed for size.

I think the rest of your advice is great, but eating lots of animal products is incredibly unhealthy. Ask for the evidence and it will be given. For starters, though, http://news.national...iet-ngbooktalk/

Fat is good, not saying it's bad. For healthy, delicious, calorie-dense weight-gainers, I'd suggest nut butters (peanut being the cheapest, also an excellent source of protein and micronutrients), hummus (can be cheap), beans (very cheap), stuff with vegetable oil (olive, rapeseed, sunflower, etc), and maybe fish (price depends on location; also a source of essential and usually lacking nutrients like DHA and vit D).

• dwai said thanks for this

I'm just trying to be somebody I can talk to in the morning with a smile

#19 C T

C T

Gap Bum

• The Dao Bums
  • Pip
  • 7316 posts
  • Interests:Charlie's Tango..
    November's Echo

Posted 25 October 2016 - 01:12 PM

one can nutrify the body, but not know how to nourish the mind

or, nourish the mind only, and neglect the body

both are essential and will help towards a fulfilling life

find the balance - its free

maintaining that might cost a little, but worth a lot in time

nutritious foods are not those that sit on glitzy display stands in the supermarkets shouting 'organic' 'free range' and what not

they are found in discarded bones in butcher shops

and within these humble rejects lie marrow... even a bit of it each week works wonders

most butchers give them away freely

or some would ask for a token sum

a few cents maybe

just some large knuckle bones, ball joints, femurs

a few of these, boiled for 4 to 6 hours, with some carrots

onions, sweet potatoes, or add parsnips, turnips and sweetcorn

eat with rice... and a bit of kimchi (pickled cabbage, great for metabolism)

personally, i like to add a few drops of soya sauce onto the meltingly soft meat

simply satisfying

round it off with a cup or two of sencha or green tea

then sink into a feeling of deep satisfaction 

the kind that no amount of money in the world can buy...

• thelerner, Brian and Rishi Das said thanks for this

Om svabhava shuddha sarva dharma svabhava shuddho 'ham!
Om shunyata jnana vajra svabhava atmako 'ham! 
Om ah hum hra phat!
Om muni muni mahamuni Shakyamuniye svaha! 

Appearances are mind, mind is emptiness, emptiness is spontaneous presence, spontaneous presence is self-liberation.
(9th Karmapa)

The objects perceived by sentient beings 

are like the appearance of illusions;

Sentient beings themselves are in the nature of illusion

they all arise through dependent origination. - Nagarjuna

#20 Andrei

Andrei

Dao Bum

• The Dao Bums
  • Pip
  • 1383 posts

Posted 25 October 2016 - 01:34 PM

I think the rest of your advice is great, but eating lots of animal products is incredibly unhealthy. 

No, that's not true. Adrenals need a lot of protein to process and because someone is eating too little protein the adrenals catabolize (catabolism means eating your own muscular tissue) your own muscles hence the skinny type. If you want to increase in muscular mass you should increase the protein intake, it shouldn't be too much (6-9 oz per day) but this is much higher than an average person which should be around 3-6 oz per day. The problem with standard american diet is that they combine animal protein with carbs (french fries, buns, sugar in coca cola and other sodas, which increase the insulin secretion which produces diabetes and obesity). This is unhealthy, combining carbs with proteins at the same meal.

And the best protein is animal protein especially the fatty type (eggs, beef, pork, cheese, fatty fish, fatty poultry). To maintain health you need to balance the high protein intake with large portions of vegetables (7-10 cups of green and colorful vegetables) that add a lot of minerals enzymes and vitamins to the diet. All these are needed for adrenals to function properly, lots of daily vitamins B, C and D.

• Brian said thanks for this

#21 Aetherous

Aetherous

only a student

• The Dao Bums
  • Pip
  • 9091 posts
  • Interests:bai hao oolong

Posted 25 October 2016 - 03:50 PM

You're describing an American diet, sure. You're also describing the highway to heart disease, stroke, diabetes, and even dementia. This diet could make him bigger, but not in a good way. Health should not be sacrificed for size.

I think the rest of your advice is great, but eating lots of animal products is incredibly unhealthy. Ask for the evidence and it will be given. For starters, though, http://news.national...iet-ngbooktalk/

Fat is good, not saying it's bad. For healthy, delicious, calorie-dense weight-gainers, I'd suggest nut butters (peanut being the cheapest, also an excellent source of protein and micronutrients), hummus (can be cheap), beans (very cheap), stuff with vegetable oil (olive, rapeseed, sunflower, etc), and maybe fish (price depends on location; also a source of essential and usually lacking nutrients like DHA and vit D).

I disagree with the idea that the standard American diet is unhealthy for all people at all times. Truth be told, it's better to eat it than to barely eat anything.

Tara's Triple Excellence Buddhist program

"Motivation is the key; discipline is the key; teamwork is the key" = basic training pushup mantras.

#22 Aetherous

Aetherous

only a student

• The Dao Bums
  • Pip
  • 9091 posts

Posted 25 October 2016 - 03:52 PM

This is unhealthy, combining carbs with proteins at the same meal.

I'm not on board with this, either. Totally important to have carbs, proteins, and fats in the same meal.

• Andrei and Kar3n said thanks for this

"Motivation is the key; discipline is the key; teamwork is the key" = basic training pushup mantras.

#23 dust

dust

灰眼胡

• The Dao Bums
  • Pip
  • 2207 posts

Posted 25 October 2016 - 11:20 PM

And the best protein is animal protein especially the fatty type (eggs, beef, pork, cheese, fatty fish, fatty poultry). To maintain health you need to balance the high protein intake with large portions of vegetables (7-10 cups of green and colorful vegetables) that add a lot of minerals enzymes and vitamins to the diet. All these are needed for adrenals to function properly, lots of daily vitamins B, C and D.

No, that's not true.

#24 dust

dust

灰眼胡

• The Dao Bums
  • Pip
  • 2207 posts

Posted 25 October 2016 - 11:32 PM

I disagree with the idea that the standard American diet is unhealthy for all people at all times. Truth be told, it's better to eat it than to barely eat anything.

Yes, better to eat something than nothing, I'd suggest that advising Taoway on a healthy and nutritious diet will help him feel healthier and put on weight (if he's really too skinny)

Edited by dustybeijing, 25 October 2016 - 11:34 PM.

#25 Sebastian

Sebastian

On Hiatus from DB

• The Dao Bums
  • Pip
  • 183 posts

Posted 26 October 2016 - 05:45 AM

Better to be skinny than a fatty

What about skinny fat then ?

Seems like the best of both worlds.

#26 Andrei

Andrei

Dao Bum

• The Dao Bums
  • Pip
  • 1383 posts

Posted 26 October 2016 - 08:35 AM

the best protein is animal protein

For me it is true. For me is best, for other people I don't know and I don't care.

Totally important to have carbs, proteins, and fats in the same meal.

Agree, with the condition you work out and consume the calories, if you don't consume the calories then all the carbs will be deposited as fats in the intramuscular tissues and then you become skinny fat instead of just skinny. (Which by the way I did and became fat so I had to burn the fat to become as I was before in my youth : skinny.)

What about skinny fat then ?

Seems like the best of both worlds.

It is the worst, the best is to be skinny muscular. Again I have to say : for me is the best.

#27 Aetherous

Aetherous

only a student

• The Dao Bums
  • Pip
  • 9091 posts

Posted 26 October 2016 - 02:26 PM

Yes, better to eat something than nothing, I'd suggest that advising Taoway on a healthy and nutritious diet will help him feel healthier and put on weight (if he's really too skinny)

Sometimes what everyone is calling unhealthy is actually healthy...and what everyone consider to be a healthy diet, actually wouldn't be. Anyway, there is room for both our views on here. _/\_

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users