manitou

The Dalai Lama's impression of the Trumpster

Now, this is funny.

Did anyone happen to catch Charlie Rose's interview with the Dalai Lama yesterday?  I didn't see the whole thing, just one small segment they showed on the news this morning.

Charlie Rose asked the Dalai Lama what his impression of Donald Trump was.  The Dalai Lama immediately positioned his arm around the back of his head and held his flat hand in the position of where Trump's combover hair would be.  And he also pursed his lips, even saying something about Trump's small lips.

My first reaction was of disbelief; I'm no fan of Mr. Trump, but I couldn't imagine the Dalai Lama doing anything that unkind.  But then I burst forth with a belly laugh, realizing that with the Dalai Lama's somewhat limited English ability, he probably thought Charlie Rose was asking him to do an impression of Donald Trump.  And so, in his playfulness, he did.  It's the only thing that makes sense to me.

I think it's hilarious.  I'm guessing the Dalai Lama is feeling a little silly right about now...and I'm guessing Trump will sue.    :D

Edited by manitou
  • Like 1

I also recently witnessed another spiritual figure making fun of Trump...who it is, I won't mention. Both cases highlight the fact that no human being is perfect, and these people are certainly human...even the Dalai Lama can have a knee jerk reaction to a person - to speak ill of someone they've never met and make fun of their facial features or something. Or to publicly announce a biased political opinion that might divide their audience, which in some circles is also considered an imperfection.

Of course spiritual figures should be permitted the freedom to have a political opinion, and to poke fun. They are human and have autonomy of will...they should not be held to an unrealistic standard. Us unspiritual beings are also free to have our political opinions and are free to trash talk. But all of our actions always speak to our level of cultivation...by their fruits you know them. Every moment in this life is a pop quiz, testing what we'll do, and no one here has passed all the testing yet. This is how we know these people are just like us, flawed, when these mistakes happen.

It's also a fact that a person can do 100000000 great things, and 1 bad thing, and suddenly they're seen as a bad person (for good reason - to maintain order and progress). So when a spiritual figure slips up, it's good to remember this, too. The good they've done. And the necessity to criticize the bad they do.

Finally...my personal view is that when the world and its popular figures are pretty much all against someone for no good reason (you can tell it's no good reason when they make fun of things like their hair or small mouth, rather than speaking about real world actions they've taken, like deleting subpoenaed emails), it's a sign that the person in question is genuine. So genuine that the masses can't handle it, and attempt to smear them or use them as a scapegoat. Society is weird when it acts as a hive mind rather than as a group of individuals.

I think it's good to recognize the movements of the masses, and especially in those times try our best to step outside of those movements, to think independently.

• Like 1

I really think it was a language thing - the difference between 'having an impression' and 'doing an impression'.  

• Like 2

Always a chance he knew exactly what was being said and was making a very funny joke.

Is a joke funny when it is at the expense of others? Such just lowers the energy of all around.

Let us hope that Manitou is correct and it was a simple misunderstanding.

• Like 1

Its a bit of a non story really, you can watch it here: 

He often jokes about peoples appearance in a light hearted way, last time Piers Morgan interviewed him he said fundamentally there was no difference between himself and Piers, except that Piers has a big nose... its just a joke

Edited by Jetsun
  • Like 3

Always a chance he knew exactly what was being said and was making a very funny joke. 

This could be the case, and this would indicate a very childlike humor.  But could not that be seen as returning to the state of a child?  He certainly has a playfulness about him.  It can almost be seen as an innocence.

This could be the case, and this would indicate a very childlike humor.  But could not that be seen as returning to the state of a child?  He certainly has a playfulness about him.  It can almost be seen as an innocence.

When a child makes fun of other children, it is hard to see how that is an example of innocence.

• Like 1

He often jokes about peoples appearance in a light hearted way, last time Piers Morgan interviewed him he said fundamentally there was no difference between himself and Piers, except that Piers has a big nose... its just a joke

From stories I've heard he's quite hip and open minded, deeply spiritual as welll as keeping up with the latest science plus has a great sense of humor.  A very good man. 

• Like 3

or giving a lesson on English   :)     I am a similar 'Sufi prankster '  *   at times ;

In doctors surgery, I have not been happy with the doctors disinterest and unlistening to my  described  symptoms , he sciibbles on a script pad tears it off and says 

"Here, apply this to your rash twice a day. " 

I apply the script to my chest  " It doesnt appear to be working ." 

he gives me a strange look and  " No .... take that to the chemist and he will give you .....  "

:D 

*  also known 'down here' as a 'smart arse' . 

• Like 3

If he is anything like the Lamas I have had contact with    yes !    One cracked me up !  and he was pretty ..... 'sharp' .... at  some people .... they are looking at getting you to see your reactions and attitudes at times .

Another time, at the Buddhist center . One goes ;   'We are out of milk , I am going to the shop. Do you want to come for a drive?"

"Sure, why not . "  

We get in their car,  its a bit hotted up, he does this big burn out fish tail and drives like a hoon .  Something seemed really  funny to me about that ..... he had robes on and stuff  (street robes ) ,  he was a Tibetan and looked like one  ,  so obviously a monk   -   how undignified !    :D  

• Like 1

Oh come on. The guy is hilarious! It's a PERFECT response to "what's your impression of ___" if you don't want to give a political answer!

Assume the best. Really, if there is any human being on this planet who deserves we at least give the benefit of the doubt, surely it's that guy.

RC

• Like 1

Oh come on. The guy is hilarious! It's a PERFECT response to "what's your impression of ___" if you don't want to give a political answer!

Assume the best. Really, if there is any human being on this planet who deserves we at least give the benefit of the doubt, surely it's that guy.

RC

Except when its Trump doing the impression...  where is the laughter then  :)

To me, that is real telling part ;)

My first reaction was of disbelief; I'm no fan of Mr. Trump, but I couldn't imagine the Dalai Lama doing anything that unkind.

Trump looks like a deformed cartoon fish with a wig.

Every time he opens his mouth, a bucket of shit slops out. He's disgusting mentally and physically. If he ever said anything nice or positive, if he was a kind and warm person, he'd probably seem a lot less ugly. But he's not, and he doesn't.

So, I don't see the Lama's 'impression' as unkind. It's a fair impression, and with no hint of malevolence when he does it. Unlike what I just said. That was unkind. But still fair.

Trump looks like a deformed cartoon fish with a wig.

Every time he opens his mouth, a bucket of shit slops out. He's disgusting mentally and physically.

The pure sees the world as pure, and sees the good/true nature in people.

Saying this because Daobums is a spiritual cultivation forum.

• Like 1

"The universe is a huge joke. If you don't find it funny, that's because you haven't reached the punch-line yet" - Kema Ananda 

• Like 2

A number of other topics regarding rape, race, sex, violence, conflict, politics, philosophy, etc, and the opinions espoused within these by certain members, go a long way past what some might consider unacceptable on such a forum.

So I'm not clear on the problem of speaking (my view of) the truth -- in figurative terms -- about a sociopath under the spotlight of world politics.

At the same time, I was mostly just being over-the-top in my description of Trump to highlight what 'unkind' really sounds like; to show that the Dalai Lama was really rather tame and innocent in his 'unkindness'.

Edited by dustybeijing
  • Like 1

I wasn't saying your post is unacceptable here, by any means. Or that speaking (your view of) the truth is wrong or to be discouraged. Just trying to shine a light on our personal cultivation, for anyone who is interested in such a thing. Not everyone here is.

• Like 2

The pure sees the world as pure, and sees the good/true nature in people.

•what are the Taoist immortal doing when thy get together , Having fun ,smoking , getting drunk , joking .

• Like 1

I wasn't saying your post is unacceptable here, by any means. Or that speaking (your view of) the truth is wrong or to be discouraged. Just trying to shine a light on our personal cultivation, for anyone who is interested in such a thing. Not everyone here is.

Edited to reflect.

I often speak in haste, though I stand by what I said about Trump. He's not a bad man in charge yet, and certainly he doesn't come close to the nastiness of some leaders in the world today, but he's not someone I am able to find any good in, even if such was my way.

• Like 2

•what are the Taoist immortal doing when thy get together , Having fun ,smoking , getting drunk , joking .

oh.. and the sex; its just crazy, those guys know all the tricks.

• Like 1