Albion

Tao te Ching/Dao de Jing Influenced by Buddhism?

Dear M.H.  

If you'll look at my profile, I come from a place called "The River Valley". I always thought "Wow, what a blessing of Dao to be from 'The River Valley', and how often does Laozi use those terms in the TTC/DDJ?"

I'll tell you where that place is if you wanna PM me. I still keep my telephone book from there so I have a tangible reminder! It says right on front: 'The River Valley'.

Your Bro in Dao,  D.A.D.

P.S. And in my heart, I MISS that place, a lot!

I would ask where the River Valley is but I won't be going up there so the knowledge wouldn't be of any use.  But thanks, really.

The one in my mind is in northern Italy just into the foothills of the Alps Mountains.  Many times did I go there, sitting high on a hill side and just absorb the scenery and the nature.

There are some beautiful ones in Washington state as well when crossing the Cascades from West to East.  Those never effected me like the one in Italy did though.

Yes, I know what you are saying when saying "I miss that place."  But we can always go there in our mind, can't we?

• Like 1

I would ask where the River Valley is but I won't be going up there so the knowledge wouldn't be of any use.  But thanks, really.

The one in my mind is in northern Italy just into the foothills of the Alps Mountains.  Many times did I go there, sitting high on a hill side and just absorb the scenery and the nature.

There are some beautiful ones in Washington state as well when crossing the Cascades from West to East.  Those never effected me like the one in Italy did though.

Yes, I know what you are saying when saying "I miss that place."  But we can always go there in our mind, can't we?

Dear M.H. 

As I USED to be a Backpacker and Mountaineer (what a difference about a second and a half can make in our world huh?), I read a couple of great books by Ruth Rudner who loved the Dolomites (and in fact, she devoted one whole book to them) and because of her writing I ALWAYS wanted to visit the Dolomite Mts. in Italy!

Beautiful places, reminds me some of the American West, especially the Utah high country and (parts) of the Colorado Rockies, and even parts of my beloved New Mexico.

She was an American woman hiking in European Mts., and was always treated 'differently' because of that.

So sorry to get off topic. OK, I'm done now.   Peace, D.A.D.

Edited by DifferentlyAbledDaoist

Well, you started this thread so I guess it's okay for you to go off topic.  Hehehe.

Yes, many American Western movies have been made in Italy.

Sounds like Ruth was talking about an area I know of to the North and then East of where I was stationed.  I visited there a couple times.  Ruggedly beautiful.

Anyhow, yes, many translations of the TTC seem to be teaching Buddhist concepts.  I won't say right or wrong but I will say that it is not being true to Chinese thought.

I read the TTC/DDJ every night before bed, when I am the clearest mentally/spiritually.

Last night I read verse's/chapter's, 11 and 12.

I read from three translations:   'A Translation of Lao Tzu's Tao Te Ching And Wang Pi's Commentary' by Paul J. Lin.

And 'The Way of Lao Tzu [Tao-te Ching] Translated, with introductory essays, comments, and notes' by Wing-Tsit Chan.

And 'Lao Tsu Tao Te Ching' translated, by Gia-Fu Feng and Jane English.

After reading all THREE translations, I got the clearest understanding from Gia-Fu Feng and Jane English.

And that's NOT me being partial, that's simply the truth as saw it, and as I read it!

Go, Gia-Fu Feng and Jane English!!    Keep on Daoing!   D.A.D.

Edited by DifferentlyAbledDaoist
  • Like 1

Question for Marblehead?

Have you ever seen or read this version of the TTC translated by Lin Yutang (with additional commentary by Zhung Zi):

Here it is:

https://www.amazon.com/Wisdom-Laotse-Lin-Yutang/dp/B00243GGLS/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_pdt_img_top?ie=UTF8

Because of a hacker plaguing (spelling?) me, I couldn't order it from Amazon.com, but I DID find one from our British cousins.

I had no idea that this book was/is even still IN PRINT!

Since you are a Zhung Zi fan, I thought that you might know of it.

Do you have it, is it as great as all the reviews say that it is?

Thanks for answering my questions.  

Keep on Daoing,  D.A.D.

Hi DAD,

I have a photocopy copy of "The Wisdom of Lao Tzu".

This was the inspiration that guided me to create my collection in the "Father and Son of Taoist Philosophy" that I posted here on the forum.

I enjoy reading his translation.  Considering when he did his work I think he did an excellent job.

And yes, if money isn't a problem I would recommend both his "Tao Te Ching" and "The Wisdom of Lao Tzu."

I doubt you would regret the purchase.

Dear M.H. 

His Tao Te Ching and 'The Wisdom of Laotse' are NOT the same book? Because I thought that they WERE.

Does 'The Wisdom of Laotse' contain his TTC (at all)?

And I'd like to read your 'Father and Son of Taoist Philosophy' could you put up the URL for it? Please?

Thanks,  D.A.D.

Dear M.H. 

His Tao Te Ching and 'The Wisdom of Laotse' are NOT the same book? Because I thought that they WERE.

And I'd like to read your 'Father and Son of Taoist Philosophy' could you put up the URL for it? Please?

Thanks,  D.A.D.

I have it too...  That Amazon book IS his translation of the TTC... as was stated on Amazon:

"Foreign Language Teaching and Research Press has done a great job in taking Lin Yutang's 1948 translation of the Daodejing and republishing it, producing a beautiful paperback with a fine dust jacket."

And as you requested:

The Father and Son of Taoist Philosophy ...  thread started by the Welcome master, Marblehead 

• Like 2

Today I was [once again] reading the other work claimed to be authored by Laozi, Hua Hu Ching.

But you can read some here, there is a subforum:

http://www.thedaobums.com/topic/30438-hhc-study-background-and-criticisms/

I thought of starting another series on it but sticking to Hua-Ching Ni's elucidation... maybe post something of choice from each chapter instead the entire chapters...

• Like 1

Dear M.H. 

Thanks,  D.A.D.

To the best of my recall;

Lin Yutang did three translations of importance for Taoism:

Tao Te Ching

Chuang Tzu - The Inner Chapters

The Wisdom of Lao Tzu

The first, just Lao Tzu

The second, just Chuang Tzu

The last, a combination of Lao Tzu and Chuang Tzu

Now, hold on and I will link you to the introduction of that series I posted a while back ...

http://www.thedaobums.com/topic/37249-the-father-and-son-of-taoist-philosophy/?hl=father

Enjoy.

• Like 1