dawei

Time to Rotate

My personal life is just that, T_I, personal. But since you brought it up, yes, I am married to Tom/jonesboy. 

My affiliations with other sites, my husband, the friends I hold dear nor my chosen practice have nothing to do with my ability to moderate fairly and honestly on this or any other forum.

Thanks for your up front reply Kar3n. Whilst I agree that such affiliations as you mention don't necessarily affect your ability to impartially moderate here, this is what I'd like Dawei to explain further.....

An independent moderator here raises concerns about certain practices related to a particular group. Subsequently, said moderator is dismissed and replaced with a moderator from the group in question.

Have I got this completely wrong? I'm only going on what I've read in this thread and a few other hints and concerns that have been raised in other threads in the past that I haven't been interested enough in to closely follow.  

Edited by Yueya
  • Like 2

Thanks for your up front reply Kar3n. Whilst I agree that such affiliations as you mention don't necessarily affect your ability to impartially moderate here, this is what I'd like Dawei to explain further.....

An independent moderator here raises concerns about certain practices related to a particular group. Subsequently, said moderator is dismissed and replaced with a moderator from the group in question.

Have I got this completely wrong? I'm only going on what I've read in this thread and a few other hints and concerns that have been raised in other threads in the past that I haven't been interested enough in to closely follow.  

I was on staff prior to all of this.

I was asked last year to be on staff, and turned it down. It was actually MS who suggested me as a mod to Dawei last year. I saw a conflict with me being a mod so soon I after joined because I did not even have the credentials here to have a ppf. I surpassed the 6 months and the 200 posts and let Dawei know that if he still felt like he wanted a woman on staff I would be happy to be of service.

I was asked last year to be on staff, and turned it down. It was actually MS who suggested me as a mod to Dawei last year.

A number of names were under consideration at the time. I have no recollection of having recommended you, although I don't deny the possibility. If so, most likely without being aware of you being a member of the "light group."

Also, it was not until later that I became aware of the problematic aspects of the latter.

Once again, it's not personal, Karen. I do enjoy your occassional company in the chatroom. :)

Edited by Michael Sternbach

A number of names were under consideration at the time. I have no recollection of having recommended you, although I don't deny the possibility. If so, most likely without being aware of you being a member of the "light group."

Also, it was not until later that I became aware of the problematic aspects of the latter.

Once again, it's not personal, Karen. I do enjoy your occassional company in the chatroom. :)

We had a conversation in chat, late January, you, yourself, told me that you made the recommendation. I thanked you for your vote of confidence. :)

It is apparent that vote has gone down the tubes, which seems odd, because you knew who I was married to after our first introduction in chat. Prior to that you were privy to some controversy surrounding the "light group", even to the extent of defense in past threads.

The "light group" is not the first group of people to be scrutinized on TDB, and I am certain it will not be the last. Is it for everyone? Probably not. But, neither is every other system, else there would not be so many to choose from and so many practitioners of various systems.

All of this is really a shame, as I do not believe a single person on this forum wishes anyone harm or is of ill-intent.

What happened to eclectic, egalitarian and civil, bums?

• Like 1

We had a conversation in chat, late January, you, yourself, told me that you made the recommendation. I thanked you for your vote of confidence. :)

It is apparent that vote has gone down the tubes, which seems odd, because you knew who I was married to after our first introduction in chat. Prior to that you were privy to some controversy surrounding the "light group", even to the extent of defense in past threads.

The "light group" is not the first group of people to be scrutinized on TDB, and I am certain it will not be the last. Is it for everyone? Probably not. But, neither is every other system, else there would not be so many to choose from and so many practitioners of various systems.

All of this is really a shame, as I do not believe a single person on this forum wishes anyone harm or is of ill-intent.

What happened to electric, egalitarian and civil, bums?

Edited by Apech

Seems that ALL of your various practices are really helping you on your spiritual growth, huh. :-/

Just sayin.

• Like 7

Seems that ALL of your various practices are really helping you on your spiritual growth, huh. :-/

Just sayin.

You are right.  thank you Rene.

• Like 2

Just sayin.

That was so tactful it gave me a belly laugh.

Yes.  One foot still nailed to the floor.

What happened to your PPF?

It's toast.

It's toast.

Yeah, I noticed that.  It's the "why?" that I don't understand.  I thought it was flowing nicely.

Yeah, I noticed that.  It's the "why?" that I don't understand.  I thought it was flowing nicely.

I might open it again - I operate on gatito principles these days. :)

• Like 2

I used to write with invisible ink but I could never proof read what I wrote.

That's a fast disappearing skill these days.

• Like 2

Oh yes, I remember now. The thing is, there was no talk of replacing content mods at the time, but we were looking for a female one to complete the team.

Also let it be understood that the problem is not your association with the "light group" per se. I have no objections to you being another mod in a well balanced team such as existed for a short while.

By the way, two to three mods are sufficient for this site.

What happened to eclectic, egalitarian and civil, bums?

My thoughts exactly!

• Like 2

Oh yes, I remember now. The thing is, there was no talk of replacing content mods at the time, but we were looking for a female one to complete the team.

Also let it be understood that the problem is not your association with the "light group" per se. I have no objections to you being another mod in a well balanced team such as existed for a short while.

By the way, two to three mods are sufficient for this site.

My thoughts exactly!

Who said anything about replacing anyone? That was never implied or stated to me or by me at the time, nor has it been since.

• Like 2

Hi T_I,

I acknowledge and return your salutes.

While I am not always in agreement with all of your outlooks as encountered in a number of posts, this one does speak to several valid concerns.

MS,

I have to say that this comment of yours saddens me very much.  I am not surprised that TI would stoop so low that he would post stuff where he would make comments (and try to drawn in) about my daughter based on some email discussion from maybe  8-10 years ago, but I am surprised that you would be supportive of it.

Yes, TI has read endless books, but the fact you see him as spiritually advanced and that I should follow his advice is also very puzzling to me.  As you personally and directly know, I can easily demonstrate everything I have said.  Additionally, I think it is fair to say that I have always attempted to explain in full detail all of the energetic happenings.

Best,

Jeff

2 or 3 mods can handle this site just fine. 

However I think part of the intended direction could be to have more staff, that does less. This would allow for there to be less people in control, while there are more people around to help de-escalate issues when needed, but overall for things to be allowed to carry out their natural course.

Here are some quotes from our original mod discussion with dawei, to perhaps help others understand the direction intended by our admin, and how things are affected when mods start trying to control things.

I think the rotation decision is being taken as more biased than it is. There may be some difficulties in seeing around the perspective of being part of a group that is being attacked, and as mentioned before dawei has taken steps to get non-biased opinions from other sources.

But the actions taken are completely aligned with the set intention for the mod team and moderation in general. The pattern seems to be that when things escalate as related to any particular mods, it is time to rotate. The role of mods is to diffuse and de-escalate, not the other way around.

This type of hands-off moderation is also the direct request from Sean.

"Moderating" is really tough on folks... even good guys/gals try it, get upset, get powered up, and even suspended... a few have been removed from staff... one caused the rest of the team to threaten a revolt if another wasn't removed.. one was banned. And that is just from my tenure! There are lots of older stories I heard... And that is the thanks they got for trying their hand at moderation.

I had the idea to get rid of "moderators" (folks who are responsible to moderate) as that is the stress factor... and just have a staff which is more select about their use... mostly tech oriented and cover registration, puppet accounts, etc. And only Admins did the moderation. Folks here would likely see a single admin doing that as too unilateral power (which exists anyways ), but I wouldn't mind 2-3 admins.

What do you guys think of an advisory board which speaks on behalf of the board members?

I had a long chat with Gendao who is a member since 2007 and is all about less moderation.

I can't get female moderators but maybe they would agree to an advisory board.

COmments?

I actually foresee a day of almost no moderation action in the sense that a few Admins/Techs simply oversee it all.

Could you imagine not just a board which is trying to rely on self-moderation but a staff which equally trusts any action the other might take?

So instead of moderators who need discussion and consensus and who seem to just get stressed from the job, there are admins who just administer the board and seek the least action possible but do what each feels they need to do.

Are you interested in this kind of model or just towards helping the member self-moderation?

The last staff set was really too aggressive at times when I wanted it to relax. So I'm looking to relax our methods.

I'm not into policing others either but maintaining the board's integrity while giving as much freedom as possible.

So you guys don't need to feel like you need to spend more time online here... In the past, which can attest to, staff had so little overlap that decision making was a problem and could go two weeks before they agreed; and sometimes didn't.

You can set your notifications so you get PMs and Reports... otherwise if you check in once a day or every other day, that is fine.

My opinion.... we three share a much closer energy of less resistance and acceptance... we just have to watch the shepherd syndrome; they are not our sheep.... they are free wandering animals of many shapes, sizes, and colors which we allow to find how their own 'ming' (destiny) may play out by finding TDB...

We just want to be careful that folks don't view the staff intrusion as mothering or censoring them.

As I mentioned, over time, I am getting more and more lax about just letting posts... I shaked my head for a long time... now I just get a little smile instead... folks seem expert at calling other folks out but can't see their own actions

One thing that we agree on is that staff comments, official ones, should be quite brief and to the point as folks will read what they want and it might as well be the point we want to make.

If we can avoid calling folks out directly, that is good... meaning it can be addressed to everyone at times.

Yes... Lock a thread for a day or two. We've done that when it is not really One person or just to cool it off.

We can certainly employ that. As you know or can imagine, it takes great balance to decide when to intervene and not to... either side can be mis-timed and cause an issue. So the mod develops the art of timed intervention in a sense.

I am personally getting more and more lax and letting stuff go longer... or just decide when to nudge something...

See this:

http://thedaobums.com/topic/39937-beyond-the-spiritual-heart/?p=661595

But you can see it didn't really help

I want the owner's permission to gel more... this gives the topic starter power to do something. I likely should of not posted that because Bindi has owner's permissions.

And Sean said to try and avoid locking any threads (meaning locked for good)... so we can nudge, split, lock for a day or two... but in really bad cases... so as I'm going more lax the recent staff was getting too serious... so writing was on the wall... time to rotate.

Mod: You two are the new ones. Soaring Crane and Chang will rotate off in about a week or two. We should really have a third, female, but still can't get one to commit. You can observe what we do but we mostly wait for a "report" and are proactive at times. We might even report something ourselves that we see going downhill. More like an 'early warning' among ourselves. I started this idea but felt the recent staff might of used it too much... Got to find the balance to let stuff go and not make the mod job an obsession. You can find Reports in the Moderator CP (MCP). Upper left corner next to ACP.

Mods generally vote on issues. I gave mods the power to suspension anyone 1-3 days without needing another vote as sometimes we need to get someone to stop. I think the last team used this too much but it was effective.

Being a mod is like exercising profound understanding of the masses... there is your thought of what is best, and there is 20 levels of members thinking their idea is best.

It is a great balancing act.

The last time Sean came on the back-end and commented, I made many changes to his ideas... but the previous staff was not really able to adjust to it.

Moderate less; lock less; let folks talk

My approach: Nudge topics if you must; slit topic when it has gone too far.

I would like this rotation to appear to just let stuff go... but your comfort level with that should be shared and discussed as needed. We're a team :)

the three of us should be open with each other.

The important thing is: Less is Best.

Lets talk more and react less

• Like 3

---

as the original post by TI has been removed I have edited my post accordingly as the comment is now superfluous.

Edited by Karl

About a week and a half ago dawei invited me to join staff here, and he and I have been discussing the matter since then.  Anyone who knows me, knows that I really have no desire to hold a staff position on the Dao Bums and have said so several times.  However, I see the unfolding of events the last couple of weeks, as being more than enough reason to override my personal inclinations and accept Dawei's offer.  Doing this for several reasons, not the least of which is that I think that dawei has been a good admin, and my acceptance as a vote of confidence, that he will continue to be a good admin.

I have no affiliation with the group in question and no wish to be involved with them, so this is hardly a move for someone who wishes to stack the mod staff for a take over, rather I take it as an indication that dawei wishes to have mods who can be fair and impartial in all circumstances to maintain the independence and integrity of the Dao Bums.

In our discussions dawei has always shown himself to be open minded and reasonable, and if I didn't believe that was the case I would certainly not be interested in working with him.

I hope that on the inside I will be able to find out more clearly what has been going on and then proceed with "malice toward none, and charity to all" to clear the air as much as possible and restore the confidence of the general membership.

I had asked dawei for the privilege of announcing this publicly, so that I could say some words about why I would take on "the burden of office" and he said OK, so if the offer of a staff position is still open, I accept it.

Zhongyongdaoist

• Like 12