Sign in to follow this  
Bruce Qi

best book on kundalini ?

I know a teacher is best but I am after a book with real practical info in it.

I have the kundalini tantra book by Satyananda Saraswati and thought this was the real deal till I came across people mentioning some flaws in it.

any recomendations ?

I have the kundalini tantra book by Satyananda Saraswati and thought this was the real deal till I came across people mentioning some flaws in it.

any recomendations ?

Don't practice from a book. I would recommend finding a Tamil siddha yoga teacher. The system is methodical and safe in terms of practice. The kundalini will rise on its own once you have purified the channels and start the pranayama practice.

I would agree that you should find a good teacher. Books as a whole are useless with the high energy flows (Kundalini) as it is not a "one size fits all" process. A good teacher can monitor the activity in your energy body and guide you with your specific bumps along the road.

Gonna third the recommendation for a teacher. In the long run, I would think you'd be better off waiting until you have a teacher and then practicing properly under their guidance, even if that means reorganizing your life or waiting a few years until things align, than trying to wing it with books.

Just wondering, are there any foundational practises he could do in preparation which are not risky?

I'm currently doing the 6 healing sounds which I feel is both safe and beneficial, are there any equivalent for kundalini?

Just wondering, are there any foundational practises he could do in preparation which are not risky?

standing practice, shaking/spontaneous flow, qi gong/yoga practice, mediation practice, chanting... 

no need to over complicate things. set a solid foundation and let the rest naturally unfold.

my experience- books are better when they confirm a state/experience as opposed to describing something abstract that one has no relation to; makes things too confusing. we end up reaching for fairy tales instead of settling into what is real.

seems to me that you have no need for a teacher or book at this point. look up said practices. integrate them into your life. 'when the student is ready, the teacher will appear.'

best to you.

Rishi Das

EDIT: re-phrasing

Edited by Rishi Das
  • Like 1

my experience- books are better when they confirm a state/experience as opposed to describing something abstract that one has no relation to; makes things too confusing. we end up reaching for fairy tales instead of settling into what is real.

I've had lineage teaching in Chan, but not any in Daoist practises. I try something out, and if I actually feel that something is going on, I know I'm going in the right direction.

There's a problem here, if I don't get any initial feedback from a technique immediately, I've no idea whether I should continue it. With those things which I currently practice, ZZ and healing sounds, I've got that immediate feed back and experience and so know I'm going in roughly the right direction, but there is also a sense of walking around in the dark.

any recomendations ?

What flaws were presented to you about this book?

• Like 1

I've had lineage teaching in Chan, but not any in Daoist practises. I try something out, and if I actually feel that something is going on, I know I'm going in the right direction.

There's a problem here, if I don't get any initial feedback from a technique immediately, I've no idea whether I should continue it. With those things which I currently practice, ZZ and healing sounds, I've got that immediate feed back and experience and so know I'm going in roughly the right direction, but there is also a sense of walking around in the dark.

initial feedback is good. also important to give the practice enough space/time to settle in before disregarding it completely. just my experience...

ultimately, if it is real there will be no denying it.

also, nothing wrong with walking around in the dark; at least your up and walking. drawing on experience, it can be liberating to relax into that discomfort of not knowing. 

addressing the OP, again - my opinion...simplify, simplify, simplify. find a simple practice and give yourself to it, completely.

Rishi Das

EDIT: spelling correction.

Edited by Rishi Das
  • Like 2

Sign in to follow this