Sign in to follow this  
smilingone

Preventing to fight

What are the theories behind preventing a fight. I've heard people in situations where the person that wanted to fight couldn't do anything. Is it due to the accumulated power that can Change someone's mind? Is it a state of mind that can no one allow to touch you?

What are your thoughts

• Like 1

Interesting question.

Sometimes eye to eye contact and the transmission of energy is enough to stop an aggressor.

• Like 2

If you're good at telepathy, normal people are easily stopped with the thoughts....they are THAT pathetically undisciplined, lol.

• Like 1

De-escalating a situation is a good skill to practice. I remember Dr. Morris mention the technique of countering a potential attackers intent before he's able to act on it....high level stuff. Probably takes decades of cultivation.  

• Like 2

What are the theories behind preventing a fight. I've heard people in situations where the person that wanted to fight couldn't do anything. Is it due to the accumulated power that can Change someone's mind? Is it a state of mind that can no one allow to touch you?

What are your thoughts

It depends on how empty the intended opponent is. My teacher explains it this way - when you are empty, someone who wants to fight you or attack you simply doesn't find anything to use as an opposing force. And it is not just physical force but even mental resistance. Therefore they don't have any way to impact you...

• Like 1

It depends on how empty the intended opponent is. My teacher explains it this way - when you are empty, someone who wants to fight you or attack you simply doesn't find anything to use as an opposing force. And it is not just physical force but even mental resistance. Therefore they don't have any way to impact you...

Interesting, thanks for sharing this insight. 

• Like 1

What are your thoughts

While there may be subtle energetics and other advanced and theoretical considerations, I focus on the mundane and accessible options -

1. Be aware of your environment and avoid getting into a situation in the first place

2. Let go of your ego

3. Be willing to admit you're wrong and take responsibility - even if you don't think it is your fault

4. Be willing to apologize and do so with sincerity and contrition

5. Try to avoid verbal and physical escalation - when it seems like the other person(s) is getting inflamed, apologize and disengage

6. Don't be afraid to run

7. Don't be attached to stuff - let them have things that can be replaced. Your life and organs cannot be. 

You may be able to generate enough personal power to force others to disengage out of fear or respect but that takes serious training and self-confidence and even then is not always effective, especially if the other party is armed or intoxicated

When we talk about being empty - this is what that means, empty of ego, empty of self, empty of judgement and opinions.

Not everyone wants to yield like this but these are steps that can avoid confrontation. No matter how skillful we are in the martial arts, there is always someone better... or armed. I had a Wing Chun teacher who grew up in a very rough Baltimore neighborhood and was a serious street fighter. He was unfortunately incarcerated and came out of jail with no teeth... Before going to jail he used to say there are two ways to win a fight - 1) beat the opponent   2) avoid fighting...   and one way to lose.

• Like 2

While there may be subtle energetics and other advanced and theoretical considerations, I focus on the mundane and accessible options -

1. Be aware of your environment and avoid getting into a situation in the first place

2. Let go of your ego

3. Be willing to admit you're wrong and take responsibility - even if you don't think it is your fault

4. Be willing to apologize and do so with sincerity and contrition

5. Try to avoid verbal and physical escalation - when it seems like the other person(s) is getting inflamed, apologize and disengage

6. Don't be afraid to run

7. Don't be attached to stuff - let them have things that can be replaced. Your life and organs cannot be. 

You may be able to generate enough personal power to force others to disengage out of fear or respect but that takes serious training and self-confidence and even then is not always effective, especially if the other party is armed or intoxicated

When we talk about being empty - this is what that means, empty of ego, empty of self, empty of judgement and opinions.

Not everyone wants to yield like this but these are steps that can avoid confrontation. No matter how skillful we are in the martial arts, there is always someone better... or armed.

Good stuff.  Another point my sensei would make was after you win, or lose- keep quiet and walk away quickly.  Often a winner will pontificate and get waylaid by the losers friends or enrage a downed foe so they get up and keep fighting.  Or a loser on the ground shouts out a defiant 'screw you' and is re-engaged to their detriment.  Don't play the cowboy or philosopher, just leave. 

A strong spirit  can protect you, but leaving tends to be a sure thing, depending on your spirit, you can never be really sure.  All that being said, sometimes a fight isn't so bad. 

• Like 1

Sign in to follow this