dawei

TDB Upgrade Testing is Happening

Several years ago the programming had the ability to remember what you were typing in a post in the advent that you clicked something wrong or left the page by accident.

Is it possible to reintroduce this ability?

On my iPad I have lost a number of lengthy passages by touching something that sends me elsewhere. Obviously it is nice if I remember to save it along the way or copy as I go but often I do not remember to do so.

Perhaps it is an iPad problem.

(And thank you all for all the incredible work you do here!)

Edited by Spotless
  • Like 1

Several years ago the programming had the ability to remember what you were typing in a post in the advent that you clicked something wrong or left the page by accident.

Is it possible to reintroduce this ability?

On my iPad I have lost a number of lengthy passages by touching something that sends me elsewhere. Obviously it is nice if I remember to save it along the way or copy as I go but often I do not remember to do so.

Perhaps it is an iPad problem.

(And thank you all for all the incredible work you do here!)

I'm not aware of that ability being a part of the server side programming and would think that is a local issue (PC, iPad, etc).

I've  have stuff like that before and I try to use the 'back' button and many times it will show because (I guess) it is in local cache.

• Like 1

In my opinion.

Actions result in reactions.

Honesty is the best policy. 

I would discreetly bring up my suspicion with whom ever I suspected.

That discrete discussion would inform how I proceeded.

discreetly bringing up suspicion with the suspected seems like a good course. 

• Like 1

Not sure I've ever heard someone espouse that philosophy, Stosh. Help me understand what you are saying here -- would you be in favor of the police publishing the identity of everyone who pops up as a suspect in an investigation, or is this more at the personal level, like wanting anyone who suspects you of ill will or bad behavior to immediately confront you?

Courts allow you to hear the charges and plead as a matter of public record.  Do you want your friends to be honest? and to be honest with them? or would you prefer to connive until you got the goods on 'em. Whether you've heard the philosophical value expressed doesn't seem to obviate your support for it.

Can I take your post as a Yes? You DO think its better to be deceitful than to accuse someone ?..

If you do , then you agree with the note to self and I don't see what issue you need clarity on. 

Edited by Stosh

I'm not aware of that ability being a part of the server side programming and would think that is a local issue (PC, iPad, etc).

I've  have stuff like that before and I try to use the 'back' button and many times it will show because (I guess) it is in local cache.

Yeah, web browsers have gotten much better these days, and are sometimes able to know when you have filled in a text-area and fills it in again if the page reloads.

Unfortunately, even though all the main web-browsers have versions written for mobile devices / tablets, those versions are different and aren't full-featured. So some of the features like auto-saving form content don't always work out the same way.

• Like 1

As for the tangent, and suspicions.... being in the moment, doing what the moment calls for... what else is necessary?

Getting lost in suspicions and speculations about... anything... may indeed develop a perspective upon it, but the perspective itself becomes an added complication before it helps us dissolve any other complications. Often we think this perspective is necessary, but is it? Often we spend most of our time chasing the development of such perspectives, and much less time appreciating things exactly as they are - all of the unknowns reveal themselves in the acceptance of the mystery.

• Like 3

Being present in the moment, humble to what the moment calls for, creates virtue.

Great, but moments don't call for anything. 

• Like 1

Being present in the moment, humble to what the moment calls for, creates virtue.

Great, but moments don't call for anything. 

Here I see a saying at work:

The opposite of a great truth is another great truth.

Maybe moments don't call for anything; clear observation is a kind of effortless learning.  With proper learning, right action arises.  ??

• Like 2

Courts allow you to hear the charges and plead as a matter of public record.  Do you want your friends to be honest? and to be honest with them? or would you prefer to connive until you got the goods on 'em. Whether you've heard the philosophical value expressed doesn't seem to obviate your support for it.

Can I take your post as a Yes? You DO think its better to be deceitful than to accuse someone ?..

If you do , then you agree with the note to self and I don't see what issue you need clarity on.

I think each situation should be considered on its own merit and one's actions should always be thoughtful.  This may include discretion, tact and suspending judgement but should include deceit of or conniving of one's friends exceedingly rarely.  I think the same basic principles apply in the public square, too.

It is my experience that blurting out without reason every thought or contemplation or suspicion which crosses one's mind is generally neither appropriate nor kind.

Monks, a statement endowed with five factors is well-spoken, not ill-spoken. It is blameless & unfaulted by knowledgeable people. Which five?

It is spoken at the right time. It is spoken in truth. It is spoken affectionately. It is spoken beneficially. It is spoken with a mind of good-will.

"A statement endowed with these five factors is well-spoken, not ill-spoken. It is blameless & unfaulted by knowledgeable people.

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka/an/an05/an05.198.than.html Edited by Brian
  • Like 2

Here I see a saying at work:

The opposite of a great truth is another great truth.

Maybe moments don't call for anything; clear observation is a kind of effortless learning.  With proper learning, right action arises.  ??

That may be the accurate truth I dunno, I do get the idea that overdoing things , bringing headaches on oneself ,or ever grasping for the next dopamine fix, vaguely describes the problems of excess,, but getting Very specific, nothing much is necessary, flourishes of art , kind words , human connectedness , small luxuries , not a single post on here technically is "called for" --None of anything is called for! unless a person wants these things in their life.

Without even these excesses and humble joys ,, I'm not sure one is having much fun in this go-round..They might..but it sounds sucky.    

That,... and , though some folks have said they somehow can wu wei through a day where they dont feel like they are making the decisions they act on,, I gotta think they still are making those decisions,

the universe doesn't hand out assignments that I've ever heard, or pick sides. 

So, though I know this is an umm extraneous diversion , umm-- All of it is . .. I think.  

• Like 2

I think each situation should be considered on its own merit and one's actions should always be thoughtful.  This may include discretion, tact and suspending judgement but should include deceit of or conniving of one's friends exceedingly rarely.  I think the same basic principles apply in the public square, too.

It is my experience that blurting out without reason every thought or contemplation or suspicion which crosses one's mind is generally neither appropriate nor kind.

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka/an/an05/an05.198.than.html

Actually , after those posts I spent quite a while considering this , I cant trump the rationale you're suggesting .. :) at this time. 

• Like 1

Ah... I should of made this the requirement of Off-Grid...  and then have a counter for how often a member violates it... and if too many in the same day, they get 3 floggings [days off]...   I think almost nobody would be around to post in it anymore :)

But let's leave the off-topic banter and leave the thread to being about the 'updates'...  I can certain split this all off if folks want to drive it into further the ground...   Hopefully I was not just blurting out  :D

• Like 4

If anyone is interested, postponing upgrade for now. Managed to trip the elusive CSS bug that so far hasn't been an issue. Tried three more upgrade sequences, attempting to remove whatever was triggering the bug. Tried the suggested tricks to get it working again. Nada....

Guessing we'll need to take the time to figure this one out rather than evading it. :)

• Like 9

If anyone is interested, postponing upgrade for now. Managed to trip the elusive CSS bug that so far hasn't been an issue. Tried three more upgrade sequences, attempting to remove whatever was triggering the bug. Tried the suggested tricks to get it working again. Nada....

Guessing we'll need to take the time to figure this one out rather than evading it. :)

We'll keep the course :)

• Like 3

Good work ... what's a CSS bug? he asked ignorantly. :)  Does it have six or eight legs?

Edited by Apech
  • Like 2