"Dao" can be translated simply as "way", but it also means the transcendent principle in the ancient Chinese philosophy represented by Lao Tzu and Chuang Tzu. Various translations have been suggested over time, and some translators of Daoist texts even preferred not to translate it at all. Keeping in mind that, as the Daodejing says, the Dao that can be named is not the real Dao...

"Bum" is an English word. English is not my first language, but I think a "wanderer" would be synonymous, especially one who is not in an awful hurry to arrive at a particular destination.

So we like to spend some time for "discussions on the way" here. :)

• Like 5

To my ear "bum" also suggests a certain informality.  Bums aren´t rushing off to work in three-piece suits; they are more like hanging out.  It´s a bit like "hobo," a sense of being open to what the day will bring.  The closest Tarot equivilent is probaby "The Fool."

Edited by liminal_luke
  • Like 5

That's good.  I won't mess with the Bum part but I could.

I would not think you as the type of guy that would do that !     :blink:

Edited by Nungali
  • Like 2

As I recall (and I could be wrong)  the site creator was looking for a catchy title and partly inspired by the Dharma Bums by Jack Kerouac.   I don't think the intent was to lean us to Tao as much as be a discussion site for philosophy and meditative arts. 

Course we're also originally a breakaway from the Healing Tao USA site. 

Perhaps its a call to discuss (at times) serious topics but not take ourselves too seriously, we're bums after all.

Edited by thelerner
  • Like 3

I would not think you as the type of guy that would do that !     :blink:

I really want to riff on this hilarious comment but I´m speechless. :o

• Like 2

i aint sure about the dao part

but the bum part, i got that down

i reckon if dao were natural and carefree

i would be a carefree natural bum

Edited by zerostao
  • Like 3