Sign in to follow this  
Veezel

The Golden Rule and Taoism...

I recently bought a book, Ethics for Dummies, and it talked about the Golden Rule.

Being a Christian, I went straight to the section of the book that talked about the Golden Rule in terms of Christianity.

This Golden Rule thing got me thinking, and led me to conclude to what I consider to be a fact...

Part of being aligned with Tao is about following the Golden Rule. We must all treat each other the same way we would want to be treated. It is one of the many paths to THE path...

What do you all think?

• Like 1

What if one is a masochist?

Perhaps just because they enjoy hurting themselves doesn't mean they want others to hurt them.

What if one is a masochist?

:lol:

Welcome to the bums, Veezel. Brian is a very naughty boy!  :)

Perhaps just because they enjoy hurting themselves doesn't mean they want others to hurt them.

A masochist actually does enjoy being hurt and humiliated by others. 

Edited by Kar3n
  • Like 1

The golden rule seems to take it for granted that we would treat ourselves better than we´d treat others.  In my experience, that´s just not true.  Many people, even those who aren´t really masochists in the usual sense, treat themselves with less compassion than they treat others.  

Edited by liminal_luke
  • Like 1

I don't know. Is that lion hunting a wildabeast aligned with Tao? Is it operating by the Golden Rule? I thought Tao was Nature, at least in some aspects....does Nature operate by any such rules?

• Like 2

I don't know. Is that lion hunting a wildabeast aligned with Tao? Is it operating by the Golden Rule? I thought Tao was Nature, at least in some aspects....does Nature operate by any such rules?

Lions are wild animals.

Perhaps human nature is about following the Golden Rule. Maybe we were meant to treat each other with love. We are, after all, the premiere social creature of earth.

• Like 1

The East seems to focus on individual awakening via going inwards. The Western traditions tend to focus on societal awakening involving going outwards. These are generalized ideas of course, with exceptions, but true for the most part. Where Western traditions have tried to go inwards they've come up s bit short (contemplative, for example). Where Easterners have tried to go outwards they've fallen a bit short in efficacy as well (Tibetan prayer flags, etc.) There are exceptions (Christian mystics, Gandhi, etc.), but mostly this is true. So when we look at Jesus' statements concerning ethics, we have to keep the paradigm of collective awakening in mind (the ekklesia) and not forget that Chiang Tzu or Lao Tzu might've had a different measure of enlightened living in mind.

• Like 2

It's not so much about love.  I think the world would be much improved if we treated the other with respect.  In my mind, love sets so high a bench mark that it ends up being easily disregarded.   People I love, family and very close friends are given a blank check by me.  What ever they need.  I can't and won't do that for strangers.  Though I can treat them well and give them respect or strive too. 

• Like 5

Christianity had its golden rule; Confucius had an inverted sense of the golden rule.

I believe Dao gave rise to both and yet is neither itself. 

So we see that Dao is indifferent to what arises because 10,000 golden rules will arise in man's Way.

• Like 3

I thought the Golden Rule was oneness? That we are the Dao and the 10,000 things simultaneously?

At the same time, each person must follow their De, their Virtue, their True Nature... not all the ego layers and learned behaviour.

Telling people to treat others the way they want to be treated is useful on paper but in practice a bit unclear because everyone has a different De and they may not intersect. We may hurt people intentionally or accidentally as part of our De.

However, we are all of the Dao and are therefore never separate, and therefore there is only One Nature. From that perspective it becomes easier to honour one another, though it doesn't necessarily mean uniform behaviour.

Societies create a common reality through customs and social norms, and then there are individual realities happening underneath that, privately.

• Like 5

I thought the Golden Rule was oneness? That we are the Dao and the 10,000 things simultaneously?

At the same time, each person must follow their De, their Virtue, their True Nature... not all the ego layers and learned behaviour.

Telling people to treat others the way they want to be treated is useful on paper but in practice a bit unclear because everyone has a different De and they may not intersect. We may hurt people intentionally or accidentally as part of our De.

However, we are all of the Dao and are therefore never separate, and therefore there is only One Nature. From that perspective it becomes easier to honour one another, though it doesn't necessarily mean uniform behaviour.

Societies create a common reality through customs and social norms, and then there are individual realities happening underneath that, privately.

I like this, Orion.

Sometimes love is having enough sensitivity to treat somebody how they would like to be treated, even if that´s different from how we wish people are with us.  

Edited by liminal_luke
  • Like 3

R.E.S.P.E.C.T. first recorded by Otis Redding. Further refined / defined by Aretha Franklin!

We owe everything we encounter respect.

I agree with  thelerner love is to high a bar.

Too often respect is a struggle. At least for me.

• Like 1

I thought the Golden Rule was oneness?

Another golden rule, perhaps one that controls our outer lives more is:

Whoever has the most Gold -Makes the Rules.

Hmnn, cynical, but wisdom is also gold.

Enough wisdom and we can slip through

social and cultural constraints

and live the life we choose.

• Like 2

Sign in to follow this