Sign in to follow this  
Jade02

Is it enough?

Is it enough to follow taoist philosophy or do I need to practice Qi Gong? 

My opinion only - others will disagree:

Yes, following Taoist philosophy is enough to be able to live a life of contentment.

However, it is the individual who determines what enough of life is.

• Like 6

Always make sure you have a stock of good clean socks. Especially in the winter.

In exploring Daoist philosophy, we probably learn this at some point, but it's good to know it beforehand as there's a lot of Daoist philosophy to take in, and sock supply isn't specifically mentioned in most of the Daoist texts.

In exploring Daoist philosophy I think we also pick up one of two ideas: either that maintaining a supple and strong body and healthy breath and good flow of energy* is a worthwhile pursuit, or that it is better to simply let oneself be, without "over-managing" the muscles and breath. In the first case, qigong and other practices (stretching, yoga, etc) might be seen as worthwhile; in the second case, not so much.

I tend to hold to the idea that spiritual cultivation and physical cultivation go hand in hand; general contentment is much easier with good health, a happy body, good energy. If qigong helps in this regard, do it. If not, don't.

*whether you view 'energy' in terms of modern Western or ancient Eastern biology I don't think it matters -- we all depend on our energy

Edited by dustybeijing
  • Like 5

Only your destiny defines 'enough'... in which case, it is only leading you on a path... and when is the path enough? 

Only the path can tell you... if you stop, that is your answer.  If you keep going, that is your answer.

• Like 1

It all comes down to what you want to do in life.

If you want to enjoy philosophy from an intellectual perspective, reading books will fill your days with happiness.

If you want to get a six pack abdomen and sweet pecs, frequently going to the gym and lifting weights is wonderful.

If you want to learn to breathe better, and sense some physical energetic feeling, while improving blood flow and regulating your hormones, Qi gong is a great art.

If you want to cultivate consciousness to a high level, I suggest meditation.

You should try to achieve your goals, but first you should be clear about your goals.

Know what you want, make a plan, and do it.

• Like 4

Tao encompasses mind and body, so to align with Tao via mind is helpful, as is aligning with Tao via the body.  Now, if one can do both - even more power to them!  I would hesitate to say one is "better" or "more essential" than the other, though.  I know some Taiji teachers who say "one must do Taiji before they can understand philosophy" - - but I do not agree with that.  And then others might suggest that having a philosophical framework will help them with the meditation practices.  Either way, they both re-enforce each other with synergetic benefits.  I definitely found Taiji and Qigong can effect my meditation in a positive way like nothing else.

• Like 1

I agree with others who say it depends on your goals.

Some of us are body people and gravitate towards using our bodies.  Others are mind people and love all things intellectual.  However we lean, I think it´s always good to do at least a little bit of both.  Study chemistry and lift weights.  Read Daoist philosophy and play volleyball.  

Edited by liminal_luke
  • Like 2

Sign in to follow this