The GuiGuZi is an interesting text, often considered Daoist in nature, that is included in the DaoZang. It is, in essence, a Daoist approach to the art of rhetoric and persuasion. Thomas Cleary's book "Thunder in the Sky" provides an accessible translation of this text, whose title Cleary translates as "The Master of Demon Valley".

I recently came across a different translation, freely available online, by Michael Robert Broschat. It is a PDF version of a microfilm copy of Broschat's PH.D. Dissertation.

In his dissertation, he describes the history and provenance of the GuiGuZi; explains the methodology he used to translate his version; provides a complete translation; and includes the original Chinese version.

https://digital.lib.washington.edu/researchworks/bitstream/handle/1773/15506/8521564.pdf?sequence=1&isAllowed=y

Edited by Diaitadoc
  • Like 5

Thank you for posting this link.  I have downloaded the text and taken a quick look at the introduction and table of contents and it looks like an interesting dissertation, notable for its early use of computer textual analysis on "microcomputers", the first incarnation of the modern PC.  I don't know when I will have a chance to look at this in more detail as my reading "stack", meant in a computer sense as well as pile of books, it overloaded as it is, but the subject is more interesting than might seem on the surface.

Welcome to the Dao Bums

• Like 2

Glad to see this text... I get a high energy impulse from just reading the first few lines of the dissertation.  With 322 pages, it will likely be worth a read.   I'll try to respond later with my thoughts. 

• Like 1

As the opening part wanted to compare 'Rhetoric' in China vs Greece thought, one should know this book:

Rhetoric in Ancient China, Fifth to Third Century B.C.E. , A Comparison with Classical Greek Rhetoric

By Xing Lu

An Amazon Link to boot:  Here

• Like 2