zippity4u

wildcrafting

Hello,

Does anyone here wildcraft? I enjoy collecting mushrooms(oyster, reshi, morel, etc.) as well as nuts and berries.I also collect medicinal herb  

• Like 2

I didn't know what 'wildcrafting' meant until I read your post. In the UK I think we just call it foraging...?

I love bramble fruits. Some excellent blackberries around here, picked a lot the last two summers.

Went looking for hazels last year but was too late. Will try and think of it earlier this year.

Would love any advice those in the UK can offer...

This is something I want to try to get into. As I was getting my CSA share (a cooperative farm where I prepay for organic local vegetables), I saw a man picking through the weeds. I kindly asked what he was picking. He told me mustard greens, and handed me a piece. I asked if he just usually eats it straight from the ground. He said normally he washes it, but the farm grounds were clean enough that he trusts there is no contamination.

He said he finds berries, lambs quarters, purslane. I know there are several other edibles. i live outside of Philadelphia, and there are a bunch of dandelions out. I wanted to make 'dandelion wine', which uses the yellow petals as a base. From what I've read, you pour boiling water over the petals, and let it sit for two days. Then strain it out, and add the other ingredients and let age. All parts of the Dandelion are suppose to have numerous health qualities. Extracts can be made with all parts of the 'weed'.

Stop at Barnes & Noble, plenty of books on foraging. I'm sure your local library would have the same. I find it interesting that so many people in the US are so adamant about killing weeds, and using harmful chemicals on their lawn to eliminate them. But if more people would be educated on the subject, our planet would be less polluted, people would be healthier, and people in poverty can get a little more self sufficient.

Wildman Steve Brill, check out his website. He comes through my area at least once a year, and gives a two hour tour through our local woods. From what I've read, he identifies local edibles and shares them with the group. I assume he travels around, so I find that to be impressive to identify in various locations.

When I was a child, I remember my father going to a local graveyard and digging up wild horseradish. He wasn't knowledgable on the subject, but someone told him how to identify that particular root. Since he loved horseradish with his food, he was extremely excited, and made his own condiment. I remember people saying how hot the stuff was, either because it was fresh or since it was 'wild' (or maybe both).

One thing I highly recommend, especially for beginners in this subject, don't eat an abundance of anything you haven't had before. 1) you could be allergic to a plant that you never knew about 2) you could misidentify the wrong plant, and potentially mistake it for a poisonous plant. I've read in survival books that if you weren't sure about whether a plant was edible/poisonous of not, eat a small piece, then wait an hour. If no harmful effect, eat a little more and wait again. I guess you can try a third time, but after that, it's probably fine.

One last thing I'd like to share, and these are abundant in the US (and I would assume the UK. Please tell me if you have them)... Pine Trees. Apparently the pine needles are loaded with vitamin c if made into a hot tea, along with other healthy compounds. The native Americans used it extensively. Again, I believe there are some species that they don't recommend doing this for, but the White Fur variety is highly recommended for tea.

• Like 1

This is something (one of many some things) I've been meaning to learn more about for years.  I know there are plenty of resources about, and I know there are people in the area here (Southern Maine, USA) who are very knowledgable.  I've just got to do it - thanks for the reminder!

yep, it is.

Because of illness i'm not able to go out but I've long gathered things when i was out walking.

The young leaves of birches are also good for tea, nettles are nice as veggies (also young) and of course in autumn you can gather elderberries, they're nice to eat in small quantities, but when you juice them you've a very good tonic for winter-illnesses, mix with hot water (and a bit of lemon if you like that) and it will soon make you feel better.

many things to be found outside, enjoy!

The young leaves of birches are also good for tea

Just the other day I stumbled upon some black birch trees...didn't realize what they were but was instinctively led to break off a twig and smell it. It would make for the perfect homemade birch beer!

• Like 3