"Many practices in the old days were geared towards the achievement of immortality. Taoists ate pine needles, cones and resin in the belief they made their body parts more durable. They avoided eating grain because it was believed that grain nourished death-causing demons in the heart, brain and stomach. Taoist drugs and breathing exercises often were intended to suppress these same demons."

http://factsanddetails.com/china/cat3/sub10/item92.html

img-china-pinetree_big.jpg

• Like 3

Are there additional/ more in-depth texts regarding pine sap and it's physical and meta properties?

Of your opening post, I have heard that before.  All about alchemy and the search for immortality.

I'm sure there is more information available on this but I have no idea where to look.

I'm under the impression some species of pine are more food friendly then others.  Maybe, double check before assuming they're all the same. 

There is something special about meditating underneath pines.  Good wah, the scent, the coolness, their shape is special, like a living cathedral. 

Edited by thelerner
  • Like 2

Are there additional/ more in-depth texts regarding pine sap and it's physical and meta properties?

tons of it

Succinum (Amber): Use in Chinese Medicine
www.itmonline.org/arts/amber.htm
  •  
  •  
Succinum originates from the resin of ancient and long-extinct trees, including conifers (e.g., pine trees) as well Fabaceae and other genera. To become amber  ...
Succinum (Amber, Hu Po) - Chinese Herbs Healing
www.chineseherbshealing.com/succinum-amber/
  •  
  •  
As a matter of fact, it is kind of fossilized resin of prehistoricpine trees and has ... been used in Traditional Chinese medicine (TCM) and homeopathic remedy.
Early Daoist Dietary Practices: Examining Ways to Health ...
Shawn Arthur - 2013 - ‎Religion
The text says, “Pine sap tastes bitter and is moist. ... Whereas the Bencao jing focuses on pine sap, later Chinesepharmacopoeia describe the benefits of the ... Modernpharmacological research has examined many parts of the pine and has  ...
Encyclopedia of Traditional Chinese Medicines - Molecular ...
Jiaju Zhou, ‎Guirong Xie, ‎Xinjian Yan - 2011 - ‎Medical
... Northern Catalpa Northern Dutchmanspipe Northern Dutchmanspipe Root Northern Monkshood* Northern Pitch PineNorthern Wolfberry Root-bark* Northsea  ...
Medieval Chinese Medicine: The Dunhuang Medical Manuscripts
Christopher Cullen, ‎Vivienne Lo - 2004 - ‎Health & Fitness
... 30 pharmacological illustrations 301, 304–5, 417pharmacology 12–13, 322, ... 39, 56, 86; ingesting 278 'pills of black gold' 39 pine resin pills 408 pine-soot  ...

Pine Herbal Monograph - Natural Herbal Living Magazine
https://naturalherballiving.com/pine-herbal-monograph/

also

Asceticism in Early Taoist Religion - Stephen Eskildsen ...
books.google.com › History › Asia › General
Asceticism in Early Taoist Religion demonstrates that although Taoist ascetics ... Eskildsen traces how this problem may have emerged, and how it was viewed ...
Edited by Taoist Texts
  • Like 4

Thank you Taoist Texts!

Yes, reading of say eating pine sap of a 1000 year tree will give immortality etc. The Pine Tree with many positive associations.

Pine sap is of particular interest, any thoughts on distilled pine sap?

Thank you Taoist Texts!

Anytime

Pine sap is of particular interest, any thoughts on distilled pine sap?

It depends on the amount you plan to take. If its a couple of pills per day - the distillation does not matter; if more - the distilled being more potent can cause side effects.

However the issue is the mechanism of sap's action on the body. Unfortunately it only works when all other food intake is stopped.

Yu Daoyuan and her sister Yu Daochao were said to have been chambermaids at the Qin court. Having fled to the mountains after the fall of the Qin, they learned the dietary regime from a Daoist hermit, Gu Chun, in the mountains, and transformed themselves into divine transcendents. After years of consuming pine needles, they grew hair all over their bodies and became known as the “Hairy Maidens” (Maonü). Three hundred years after the fall of the Qin, they entered Mount Wuyi in Fujian and were seen by locals during the reign of Chengdi of the Han Dynasty (32–7 B.C.E.). For hagiography of the Yu sisters, see Wuyi chongjian Zhizhi an ji, in Xiuzhen

The Japanese likewise practiced various dietary abstentions: nikudachi from meat, shiodachi from salt, kokudachi for abstention from the Five Cereals and hidachi or from cooked food (Blacker 1999). Japan’s famous sages, such as Ryosan retired to Mt. Kimpu eating only leaves, or Yosho who diminished his intake to a single grain of millet and then ceased altogether and vanished only to be seen flying like a “unicorn or phoenix” (Blacker 1999). The Japanese have a specific practice, “tree-eating” or mokujiki, to help give up the cereals which consists of eating berries, bark or pine needles. Blacker mentions, Mokujiki Shonin, the Saint Tree-eater, which is applied to ascetics since medieval times.

https://sites.google.com/site/delawareteasociety/yoked-to-earth-a-treatise-on-corpse-demons-and-bigu

• Like 1

Hm interesting, that site sparked my initial interest in pines and pine sap as medicinal. Distilled pine sap is a folk medicine known to be very effective in destroying parasites and related, which the ancient Taoists considered to be demons (parasites are demons), that manipulate us in many ways, cravings/desires, emotions that are self destructive, their desire being to eventually consume us in full. So they take away our life force, clarity, consciousness etc difficult to become an Immortal/ strive for longevity or general optimal health when you basically have vampires feeding on your vital energies constantly.

I was reminded of this recently, it had slipped my mind. I think the Taoist are correct. I have tried small amounts, drops of distilled pine sap recently and found a boost in energy, clarity, vision. I don't recommend anyone do this though. If interested to research thoroughly. People have lots of different responses. My diet has been mostly whole-foods vegan for the past near 3 years. With water fasting and related throughout. Minimal grains and in my 20s so I'd say my physiology is a lot clearer than most, there will be different reactions. I tried some in sugar after a breakfast of grapes and was feeling very good. Taking it without food is very interesting though. It seems the ancient Immortals went through a transition of removing themselves from earthly food and the bugs/demons within that hold us here through that.

• Like 1

Pine sap when it dry s is colophony, some people are allergic to it and causes them skin rashes. Pine pollen is taken to increase Jing, it actually contains a small amount of phyto testosterone. I used to dump it into my smoothies.

Be careful about what herbs you take, don't think because its in some old book its safe. My sister is a conventional doctor and she has told me she has had a few patients who damaged their kidneys through taking various Chinese herbal medicine. One woman was telling my sister about the benefits of taking herbs when my sister had to inform her one of her kidneys was damaged to the point it would need to be removed...so be careful, always read what the latest research has to say on side effects .

• Like 3

Same can be said of pharmaceutical drugs "drug deaths have risen considerably since then -- documents 106,000 deaths per year from the "adverse effects" of FDA-approved prescription medications." The Journal of the American Medical Association (JAMA) Vol 284, No 4, July 26th 2000, authored by Dr Barbara Starfield, MD, MPH, of the Johns Hopkins School of Hygiene and Public Health.

Yes, important to research all these things.

Maybe she had kidney damage from aspirin or vaccines...who knows. I know a number of young women who now have ovary problems after the HPV vaccine.

Don't wish to make this a debate about vaccines though.

Edited by Sionnach
  • Like 1

I suggest searching for "Chinese herbal medicine renal failure damage"

Western medicine at least goes through trials and toxicology testing. Some herbs are mildly toxic and their damage is only seen after prolonged use.

Pine sap when it dry s is colophony, some people are allergic to it and causes them skin rashes. Pine pollen is taken to increase Jing, it actually contains a small amount of phyto testosterone. I used to dump it into my smoothies.

Be careful about what herbs you take, don't think because its in some old book its safe. My sister is a conventional doctor and she has told me she has had a few patients who damaged their kidneys through taking various Chinese herbal medicine.  

actually just one was positively identified so far ( i happen to translate a tcm pharmacology manual on it right now)

http://www.chineseherbshealing.com/aristolochia-fangchi-guang-fang-ji/

actually just one was positively identified so far ( i happen to translate a tcm pharmacology manual on it right now)

http://www.chineseherbshealing.com/aristolochia-fangchi-guang-fang-ji/

That is not correct, in addition to the patients my sister treated who suffered kidney damage due to Chinese herbal medicine there are many others.

I in fact also have mild kidney damage due to Chinese herbal medicine I took when I was a teenager for acne on my back.

I was drinking this brew and was getting slight pains in my back. One day I came home from School to brew the medicine and my mum had burned the lot of it down the garden. She instinctively felt it was doing me damage. I was very annoyed because it was expensive. Later I went to the doctor and my kidney function test came back with kidney damage, I went on a detox to try to clean my system out and my kidney function improved but never went back to normal. Thank god my mum burned it and prevented me from taking any more.

If your one of these people who brews loads of tonic herbs for health you could be actually damaging your health instead of improving it, if you do take lots of herbs I suggest you get a kidney function test

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-185217/Chinese-medicine-gave-kidney-failure.html

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-1254746/Chinese-medicine-caused-kidney-failure-cancer-So-safe-popular-cures.html

http://www.hindawi.com/journals/crim/2015/150204/

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/health/1343598/Chinese-herb-remedy-linked-with-cancer-of-the-kidneys.html

http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/tech/science/columnist/vergano/story/2012-04-07/do-herbal-remedies-work/54102616/1

Edited by d4rr3n
  • Like 2

That is not correct, in addition to the patients my sister treated who suffered kidney damage due to Chinese herbal medicine there are many others.

well i  meant it was an only official warning so far

Thank god my mum burned it and prevented me from taking any more.

mother knows best

If your one of these people who brews loads of tonic herbs for health you could be actually damaging your health instead of improving it, if you do take lots of herbs I suggest you get a kidney function test

Thanks, i never take anything save aspirin

My sister is a conventional doctor and she has told me she has had a few patients who damaged their kidneys through taking various Chinese herbal medicine. One woman was telling my sister about the benefits of taking herbs when my sister had to inform her one of her kidneys was damaged to the point it would need to be removed...so be careful, always read what the latest research has to say on side effects .

I suggest searching for "Chinese herbal medicine renal failure damage"

Western medicine at least goes through trials and toxicology testing. Some herbs are mildly toxic and their damage is only seen after prolonged use.

Research?

Daoist (and ancient Chinese shamanic) medicine is older than any Western research and anything they can prove. It's a like a baby swimming in a bathtub. No understanding of the basic principles of yin-yang, 5 elements, and so forth.

People who hurt themselves are because they self-medicate and/or take more than what was prescribed to them; they ignore the advice given by their Chinese Medicine trained professionals.

Please inform yourself a bit more before making any assumptions about Chinese Medicine. You need to study and pratice under the supervision of a qualified herbalist the subject matter (10 years of formal study) to fully understand how it works.

The reaction of Western Medicine against the Chinese one it's based on fear, they are scared of losing the rising popularity of an energy-based system. Good, they can pack up their chemicals and nasty invasive procedures and let people choose whatever they prefer without having to resort to scare tactics.

Let me also add something even deeper, the underlying cause of disease, something Western Medicine would never have dreamt of (some Western researchers have an understanding of this, but they work at very high level so I doubt their ideas would be carried over to real life):

Healing, a Tibetan Buddhist perspective.

It's all in the mind/spirit. :)

Edited by Gerard
  • Like 4

I've lived off pine for days. Eating the inner bark, chewing the needles and swallowing the juices, making fire from the dry wood underneath, and sleeping under the branches while using g the needles as a bed and blanket. Pine trees indicate survivability.

• Like 3

Pine pollen contains phyotestosterone and it's quite invigorating to take. I usually make it into an alcohol based tincture. It's considered a longevity tonic in many lineages.

The resin is good for burning, for the same effect. I like cleansing spaces with it too.

• Like 3

I've lived off pine for days. Eating the inner bark, chewing the needles and swallowing the juices, making fire from the dry wood underneath, and sleeping under the branches while using g the needles as a bed and blanket. Pine trees indicate survivability.

What was your experience, if you may?

For example, around 7 days of mangoes only I started to experience bliss and a very subtle communication with the Mango Tree, I thanked it for it's divine fruits, nourishing me wonderfully. I believe diet is of greatest importance, once that is established meditation and so on.

Edited by Sionnach

For example, around 7 days of mangoes only I started to experience bliss and a very subtle communication with the Mango Tree, I thanked it for it's divine fruits, nourishing me wonderfully. I believe diet is of greatest importance, once that is established meditation and so on.

A lot of respect for pines was the main result. In China and Japan the mystics tended to live in pine forests. I also had a mountain lion stalking me so there was some adrenal action going on...

• Like 1