gatito

Lost in Translation - sanskrit

Lost in Translation - sanskrit  

3 members have voted

1. 1. I read/write/speak sanskrit.

2. 2. I'm interested in learning/teaching sanskrit.

I've noticed that a substantial proportion of the posts here are by people who don't seem to understand the source texts from which they derive their quotes.

Anyone here read/write/speak sanskrit?

Anyone here interested in learning/teaching sanskrit?

I'd be interested in seeing many of what are called the safe or generic mantra's (in alphabetical order) translated along with them being given a short background history related to their spiritual meaning, sect and or cultural sub-divisional usages.  

Also with them being given in the order of "Hindu" related forms first, then perhaps those which may have cross-over usage among different ways.  

Thank you and or others for such submissions

• Like 2

I've noticed that a substantial proportion of the posts here are by people who don't seem to understand the source texts from which they derive their quotes.

Anyone here read/write/speak sanskrit?

Anyone here interested in learning/teaching sanskrit?

I read and write sanskrit but not interested in teaching it because I don't have the time to teach it.

• Like 1

3bob and dwai

Thanks for your replies.

I'll pick up 3bob's question on mantras later and I'll be grateful if any fellow sanskritists take the time to correct me if I make any errors.

• Like 1

I am learning Sanskrit.  I can read/write, understand to some extent.  Still working on the understanding part.  I found the Introduction to Sanskrit: Part One by Thomas Egenes, gentle as a starter.  Part II of the same series was a leap, uses Gita verses to teach.  Laghu Siddhanta Kaumudi was very helpful. 

After learning some basics from books, reading Chandamama picture stories helped me a lot.  Chandamama went out of business a while back.  Their picture story books were so popular and published in several languages for decades.  Few people know these story books were also published in Sanskrit.  Their older story books in other languages like English, Hindi, etc. are available in many places online.    I was looking for these Chandamama sanskrit picture story books/magazines all over for several years.  Could not find them.  I went even to their head office directly in Chennai few years back to buy the print edition of these older publications -- (where the head office used to be, it was closed).  I used to enjoy these stories (in other languages), when I was a kid.  It is unfortunate this company went out of business.

Finally about a year back (after several years of searching), I found their publications starting from 1986, all the way to 2000 (several books/publications per year) on the following links.

This is a fun way to learn, especially for those who are familiar with many of these stories already.   I hope these links help someone (I don't think there is any copyright issue, since the company is out of business, and the books are not sold anywhere.  I tried to buy them from any possible source for several years without any success):  

https://archive.org/details/Chandamama_Sanskrit_1986  (All chandamama sanskrit picture story books publised on 1986)

https://archive.org/details/Chandamama_Sanskrit_1993  (1993)

https://archive.org/details/Chandamama_Sanskrit_2000  (all the way up to 2000)

Edit:  All the books from each year can be downloaded as pdf/epub/mobi and in other formats.  Scroll down on the page and go below the picture, on the bottom right hand side there are options to download.  Great to read from iPad, Galaxy Tab or  Kindle.

Edited by kāvēri
add info about download
  • Like 4