Photo

Bagua questions

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#17 GreytoWhite

GreytoWhite

If you do random qigong crap you're gonna have a bad time.

• The Dao Bums
  • Pip
  • 1224 posts
  • Interests:Lotsa stuff.

Posted 14 November 2015 - 03:13 PM

I'm usually there an hour before to do Zhan Zhuang and San Ti. What else should I work on? Should I do straight line walking an hour before?

sketchbo0k is your santi practice guided by your teacher as well or are you practicing this on your own? I would recommend standing only in the stances your teacher has shown you. The energy of xingyi's santi stance is perfectly compatible with dragon bagua lineages but lion and snake bagua not so much.

#18 sketchbo0k

sketchbo0k

Dao Bum

• The Dao Bums
  • Pip
  • 25 posts

Posted 18 November 2015 - 08:47 AM

sketchbo0k is your santi practice guided by your teacher as well

Yup, almost always.

• GreytoWhite said thanks for this

#19 sketchbo0k

sketchbo0k

Dao Bum

• The Dao Bums
  • Pip
  • 25 posts

Posted 25 November 2015 - 11:32 AM

Hey guys,

What can I do to sink lower while mud stepping? My back heel seems to lift off the ground when I try to sink really low. And when I try to sink lower in San Ti the top of my foot begins to hurt (where it says anterior talo-fibular ligament)

ankle.gif

Am I inflexible in that part?

#20 Michael Sternbach

Michael Sternbach

Star-Lord

• The Dao Bums
  • Pip
  • 2468 posts
  • Interests:Eastern and western metaphysics, astrology, holistic healing, martial arts, natural sciences, movies, dancing

Posted 25 November 2015 - 12:00 PM

A small massage ball might help. I got one for enhancing my practice, especially as done in a horse stance. They are available in sport stores, from Amazon etc.

http://www.centerwor...i-massage-ball/

Edited by Michael Sternbach, 25 November 2015 - 12:04 PM.

• sketchbo0k said thanks for this

#21 sillybearhappyhoneyeater

sillybearhappyhoneyeater

Dao Bum

• The Dao Bums
  • Pip
  • 365 posts
  • Interests:I love jazz music, Chet Baker and Charlie Haden especially.
    I'm also very keen on tea and have run an award winning tea company called the tea kings.

Posted 25 November 2015 - 12:24 PM

Baguazhang is typically thought to have a three year foundational period when you should only be walking and perhaps holding some simple postures.   The walking has three levels, upper(high posture), middle (middle posture), low (low posture).

When you start out walking, you hips will not be flexible and it will be very hard to turn with the posture.

If you want to get to a high level of skill, you need to learn to walk in an upright and relaxed fashion.

Some things which assist in this are forcing your back foot to stay on the ground as your front foot steps foward (don't lift the heal), make sure to drop your hips down and pull up through the top of the head, learn to control your footwork with your deep abdominal muscles (this takes time).

Ideally, you should make walking and basic practices your daily practice and just walk as much as you can without hurting yourself (typically beginners with average leg strength can do about twenty minutes of serious walking at a time, but you may be able to practice several times in one day).     Depending on what your teacher wants, he may instruct you to turn your hips or not at this time.  Just try to follow his advice about this, since he can see your body and we can't.

When i started out studying with my teacher, his English was also quite so so, but over many years my classmates and I helped him improve his English skills and I ultimately went on to become fluent in Mandarin.

Martial arts opens lots of doors for all of us to grow and learn. :):)

• GreytoWhite, Brian and sketchbo0k said thanks for this

www.daoistmeditation.com

please read my book "internal elixir cultivation, the nature of Daoist meditation"

http://daoistmeditat...theory-classes/

weekly classes in Daoist meditation methods.

www.chayotea.com

great tea from China and taiwan.

#22 mostly_empty

mostly_empty

Dao Bum

• The Dao Bums
  • Pip
  • 100 posts

Posted 26 November 2015 - 10:18 AM

Hey guys,

What can I do to sink lower while mud stepping? My back heel seems to lift off the ground when I try to sink really low. And when I try to sink lower in San Ti the top of my foot begins to hurt (where it says anterior talo-fibular ligament)

ankle.gif

Am I inflexible in that part?

Check the tension in the calf especially, then kwa and also the knee. 

#23 Gerard

Gerard

Dao Bum

• The Dao Bums
  • Pip
  • 3498 posts

Posted 26 November 2015 - 05:09 PM

Focus on walking solely the circle for many years (allow me to say all your life as Bagua is bottomless) and nothing else. Focus on the 8MP and nothing else. Back up your training with FOUNDATION WORK, He Jinghan has kindly put numerous free and highly valuable resources both in his YT Channel and blog (Baguaquan lessons). Take herbs to clear internal organs and channels, you'll have some sort of deficiency; Chinese Herbs speed up the healing process. Tonification can last for many months or even a year or two if you have been deficient for a very long time. If you are already past 45 years of age Kidney tonics  (i.e. Liu Wei Di Huan Wan/Rehmannia 6) will be the best friends for the remaining of your life.

A good herbalist will monitor your progress.

Work with trees, a wonderful exercise I recommend is going up and down very slowly (change your feet stances from both legs together to a horse stance) and as long as you can, try to be very yin developing a relationship with the tree you are exchanging energy with (Taoist equilibrium exercise); something interesting may happen as a result of this particular training: I call it SPIRIT WORK which will remove all karma; in addition it will nourish the big three foundation organs: Kidney (trees absorb water from the roots>Water Element), Spleen (trees get their nourishment from the soil>Earth Element) and Liver (trees are a true representation of the Wood Element, generative force, the higher soul, reach up to Heaven, giving birth to pure Yang/Heart).

Therefore trees are wonderful beings to work with and help you deepen your Bagua practice.

Best of luck! :)

• Astral Monk, sketchbo0k and Papayapple said thanks for this

#24 Sudhamma

Sudhamma

Dao Bum

• The Dao Bums
  • Pip
  • 53 posts
  • Interests:Practise and teach 'San Pan Gong', Taiji Longivity Ruler, Baqua Roushenggong, and Ma (Yungsheng)-style Taijiquan.

Posted 03 January 2017 - 09:55 PM

Circle walking with an emphasis on stepping is a 'lian gong' foundation requirement. There are about 4 types of 'walking' with chicken stepping, mud-sliding, low stance stepping, and high stance (natural quick step) being taught respectively by respective schools of Baquazhang. Chicken stepping: Yin lineage, especially of the Gong Bao Tien's school; Mud-sliding: Cheng lineage; Low-stance: Ma Gui lineage. Normally, the 'lian gong' stepping is the foundational training of ding-zhi 8 mother palms. In respect to the various schools, the linear walking must also be in line with the stepping requirements of your school.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users