Bindi

Coconut oil mouthwash

I've just started a regime of 'coconut oil pulling', I've added a decent link here if anyone's interested in having a look, though I don't know that you need to do it for 20 minutes.

Basically you just swish a teaspoon of coconut oil in your mouth and in between your teeth for a few minutes, and bacteria get caught in the coconut oil which is then spat out. After reading the article below I'll see what happens if I do it for longer.

And it tastes just fine :)

http://www.dentistryiq.com/articles/2014/03/how-dental-professionals-can-respond-to-oil-pulling-patients.html

• Like 2

very effective for cleansing the mouth, i use sunflower oil but coconut is more pleasant for sure. when i was first doing it it started pulling nasty stuff out of the gums after a while. a good 20-30 minutes of swirling is necessary and under the tongue is a good spot for drawing things out.

happy pulling! :P

Edited by wilfred
  • Like 3

very effective for cleansing the mouth, i use sunflower oil but coconut is more pleasant for sure. when i was first doing it it started pulling nasty stuff out of the gums after a while. a good 20-30 minutes of swirling is necessary and under the tongue is a good spot for drawing things out.

happy pulling! :P

I'm trying to get my kids to do it and I'm lucky if they do it for 1-2 minutes. Do you know why it is necessary to do it for so long, and whether just a minute or two will still have a good effect?

I'm trying to get my kids to do it and I'm lucky if they do it for 1-2 minutes. Do you know why it is necessary to do it for so long, and whether just a minute or two will still have a good effect?

longer you go for the deeper the tissues it starts drawing stuff out from. considering the small amount of oil in the mouth, it takes a while for the osmotic action to start get any traction. too shorter time would just be equivalent to a mouth rinse/brushing your teeth.

• Like 2

I've been doing this as well, I do feel that it draws toxins out of the gums. I use coconut oil and put a few drops of cinnamon bark essential oil in for extra kick.

• Like 3

I've been very impressed, I've done the coconut oil pulling for a few weeks now, and where I had pain from a developing hole in a tooth, the coconut oil seems to have managed to pull out the bacteria and it doesn't hurt to brush in that area anymore. The true test will be when I go to the dentist next I guess, I'll tell him where the pain was so he can have a proper check (as it was/is between 2 teeth and would be hard to see) and see what's there exactly.

My teeth have turned whiter as well.

But all in all an excellent natural dental therapy so far :) 

• Like 3