• Please log in to reply
101 replies to this topic

#17 Nungali

Nungali

Reverse geyser

• The Dao Bums
  • Pip
  • 7326 posts
  • Interests:Hermetics, Martial Arts, Gardening, Anthropology, Tarot, construction with bamboo, being alive.

Posted 31 December 2015 - 01:55 PM

It might help to post sources when making such quotes, then they can be tracked and seen where and at what time they originated.

What 9th posted is definitely  part of that 'Victorian occultism'  that came before the age of a lot of discovery and research in archaeology, anthropology, linguistics, etc  that helped us develop a more accurate and enlightened view. 

Its still rife through some 'backward occultists'  .... even today, Steiner schools still teach about Atlantis, Lemuria and  ( a bit more 'politically / racially correct' ) ideas about 'root races' *.  Its not 'progressive occultism', its 'archaic occultism', nether the less, a subject I find fascinating  ( and also fascinating, to me ,  the lengths people will still go to today to try and still prove it ; illogical disjointed arguments, citing quiet pathetic 'evidence '  { new age 'theories' and silly video clips } , faking evidence , photoshopping pictures, etc. ) . 

The quote in post 16 , seems from a latter period, when things got 'cleaned up a bit' . 

* There was a story here recently where a complaint was lodged about a Steiner School's teachings;  a man was concerned when his daughter came home upset that her artwork was deemed 'not good' as she used too much brown, and brown was not a good color . So he went to see the teacher to get an explanation . The teacher gave a long rave about Steiner and color theory, constantly referring to all the bad qualities of brown. The man was incredulous, he said he sat there listening to this woman gush on and on about these ideas and theories, and she seemed totally oblivious to the fact that he was a Pakistani (and so was his daughter) with very brown skin.  .....   that's like giving a negro a lecture on why black is not a good color ! 

These 'occult' ideas were actually based on  the science and postulations and limited research of those times, now  old defunct science . There still seems a proclivity, even today, to want to ignore science in favour of this occultism that was based on , now old and defunct science anyway  .   Why not incorporate  the latests science when we investigate occultism today ? 

...  well, some do, but then you get people  doing that, and still believing in Atlantis and 'root races' along with  how quantum physics equates to  .....     :blink:

• Aetherous said thanks for this

The serpent which came forth from the earth has risen; the flame which came forth from Nun is fallen.

#18 Nungali

Nungali

Reverse geyser

• The Dao Bums
  • Pip
  • 7326 posts
  • Interests:Hermetics, Martial Arts, Gardening, Anthropology, Tarot, construction with bamboo, being alive.

Posted 31 December 2015 - 01:57 PM

forgot the link   

https://en.wikipedia...an#19th_century

- you will also notice that a lot of this 'victorian occultism' and the science then was still based on the Bible . This huge chart showing human 'history' even used to be stuck up in the British Museum  

https://en.wikipedia..._Map_of_History

Screen-Shot-2012-05-18-at-12.00.26-PM.pn

adams.jpg

Edited by Nungali, 31 December 2015 - 02:10 PM.

The serpent which came forth from the earth has risen; the flame which came forth from Nun is fallen.

#19 Bodhicitta

Bodhicitta

Upasaka

• The Dao Bums
  • Pip
  • 195 posts

Posted 31 December 2015 - 03:03 PM

For sourcing the Blavatsky quote in my post 16, just copy a few words in sequence and search.  Her 1890 article "Recent Progress in Theosophy" will come up.

Buddhas proclaim the Dharma with one sound, each living being understands according to it kind.

Vimalakirti Sutra

#20 Nungali

Nungali

Reverse geyser

• The Dao Bums
  • Pip
  • 7326 posts

Posted 31 December 2015 - 03:35 PM

http://www.academia....azi_Race_Theory

page 5 to 7 

#21 Bodhicitta

Bodhicitta

Upasaka

• The Dao Bums
  • Pip
  • 195 posts

Posted 31 December 2015 - 05:23 PM

For cranks looking for an exotic enemy, Blavatsky and her Theosophy are too tempting to pass up.  But the true history of Nazi racism is based in the 'science' of eugenics.  The Nazis (and German science before them) lapped up these racial notions.  

Read Mr Black on the nasty history:  http://historynewsne...rg/article/1796

An excerpt:

Only after eugenics became entrenched in the United States was the campaign transplanted into Germany, in no small measure through the efforts of California eugenicists, who published booklets idealizing sterilization and circulated them to German officials and scientists.

Hitler studied American eugenics laws. He tried to legitimize his anti-Semitism by medicalizing it, and wrapping it in the more palatable pseudoscientific facade of eugenics. Hitler was able to recruit more followers among reasonable Germans by claiming that science was on his side. While Hitler's race hatred sprung from his own mind, the intellectual outlines of the eugenics Hitler adopted in 1924 were made in America.

- See more at: http://historynewsne...h.oZU2Hd85.dpuf

Edited by Bodhicitta, 31 December 2015 - 05:27 PM.

Buddhas proclaim the Dharma with one sound, each living being understands according to it kind.

Vimalakirti Sutra

#22 Nungali

Nungali

Reverse geyser

• The Dao Bums
  • Pip
  • 7326 posts

Posted 31 December 2015 - 07:00 PM

Who are these 'cranks' you are referring to ? 

I actually have no idea what your post is on about .  Did you even read the reference I gave you before spouting off  against it and claiming   what it says ? 

If that is what you refering to ?

An except ;

' In the form presented by Blavatsky, the Theosophical human evolution narrative did not support Germanic notions of ultimate superiority. While it certainly supported assertions of Aryan descent, it did not promote the Germanic people as the future superior race, nor did it make the kinds of distinctions between the Aryans and Semites which became important in Nazi race theory. "

It does however state the same biases that  were pointed out by 9th in post  # 15. 

You aren't a Theosophist by any chance are you ? 

#23 Bodhicitta

Bodhicitta

Upasaka

• The Dao Bums
  • Pip
  • 195 posts

Posted 31 December 2015 - 08:00 PM

Nungali, I am not responding to you per se, but to common misconceptions about 'racist' Theosophy.  The Nazis threw European theosophists into prison camps - not what they would do to those considered their fellow racists.

My sympathies are with Buddha and his lineage, one of whom was Helena P Blavatsky, who was probably the first Occidental to take refuge in Ceylon in 1880 I think.

Vimalakirti Sutra

#24 Michael Sternbach

Michael Sternbach

Star-Lord

• The Dao Bums
  • Pip
  • 2581 posts
  • Interests:Eastern and western metaphysics, astrology, holistic healing, martial arts, natural sciences, movies, dancing

Posted 31 December 2015 - 08:12 PM

Nungali,

Overall, I think your post #17 and #18 are a fair treatment of the topic. The Theosophical system of Blavatsky & Co. is in fact a remainder from Victorian times with a number of unsustainable notions. Which is not to say that there could not be certain conceptions distilled out of it that could still be put to a constructive use. Instead of elaborating on this, may I refer the interested reader to my post #4.

That Blavatsky's ideas played a certain role in the esoteric dressing up of Nazi racism is hard to dismiss. I leave this question  to the historians. Personally, I hold on to Bruce Lee's philosophy of absorbing what is useful and discarding what is useless. Interestingly, this is also what the foreword of Alice A. Bailey's A Treatise on Cosmic Fire suggests (and we are no longer surprised that to the OP, anything written by Bailey is a mere digression from Blavatsky's eternally true words).

Of course, about Atlantis, we will have to talk more, but that should be reserved for a certain other thread, which my new job as a mod somewhat keeps me from pursuing further. However, we're not done yet.

675gdk.jpg

Happy New Year everybody,

Michael

• tumoessence said thanks for this

#25 Nungali

Nungali

Reverse geyser

• The Dao Bums
  • Pip
  • 7326 posts

Posted 31 December 2015 - 10:32 PM

Nungali, I am not responding to you per se, but to common misconceptions about 'racist' Theosophy.  The Nazis threw European theosophists into prison camps - not what they would do to those considered their fellow racists.

Well I suppose the 'master race' comment by  9th  was seen that way by you .   Aside from a possible interpretation of that , I haven' seen  anyone suggest what you are calling a common misperception ... until  post  24 .   So I guess it is common , 

Its still racist  to state what they do state though, even though it may have no connection to Nazi racism.  Thats my objection.

Its all through early occultism ,  you should read what the G,D. said about spirituality in the southern hemisphere ... basically, it didnt exist 'down here'. 

#26 Nungali

Nungali

Reverse geyser

• The Dao Bums
  • Pip
  • 7326 posts

Posted 31 December 2015 - 10:34 PM

Of course, about Atlantis, we will have to talk more, but that should be reserved for a certain other thread, which my new job as a mod somewhat keeps me from pursuing further. However, we're not done yet.

675gdk.jpg

landscape-1428935780-terminator-genisys-

#27 9th

9th

10 of 9 resolved into 7

• The Dao Bums
  • Pip
  • 1221 posts

Posted 01 January 2016 - 07:22 AM

Well, I was only posting that as a Public Service Announcement for anyone who isnt already enslaved by this particular belief system.  Im not looking to "debate" about Blavatsky.  Please, by all means - feel free to blindly follow whatever you wish.

I wear my sunglasses at night

So I can, So I can

see the light that's right before my eyes

Empyreal_THUMBn_smalljpg.jpg

...time is the musician's canvas...

#28 Michael Sternbach

Michael Sternbach

Star-Lord

• The Dao Bums
  • Pip
  • 2581 posts
  • Interests:Eastern and western metaphysics, astrology, holistic healing, martial arts, natural sciences, movies, dancing

Posted 01 January 2016 - 09:08 AM

landscape-1428935780-terminator-genisys-

We know how this always ends...

• Nungali said thanks for this

#29 Bodhicitta

Bodhicitta

Upasaka

• The Dao Bums
  • Pip
  • 195 posts

Posted 01 January 2016 - 09:32 AM

Blavatsky wrote much in only 15 years or so; here is most of what she put pen to paper:

http://www.universal...m/writings-hpb/

• Michael Sternbach said thanks for this

Vimalakirti Sutra

#30 growant

growant

peterpan

• The Dao Bums
  • Pip
  • 274 posts

Posted 02 January 2016 - 06:22 AM

If memory serves in the book Death and the Magician it is reported that Houdini exposed Blavatsky as a fraud, catching her in the act of fakery during a seance.

#31 Bodhicitta

Bodhicitta

Upasaka

• The Dao Bums
  • Pip
  • 195 posts

Posted 02 January 2016 - 06:32 AM

If memory serves in the book Death and the Magician it is reported that Houdini exposed Blavatsky as a fraud, catching her in the act of fakery during a seance.

Houdini began exposing fake mediums after the death of his mother in 1913.  Blavatsky died in 1891, so your memory is poor. 

Vimalakirti Sutra

#32 Nungali

Nungali

Reverse geyser

• The Dao Bums
  • Pip
  • 7326 posts

Posted 02 January 2016 - 12:20 PM

As much as I have been critical, I dont feel any fakery or busted 'magic tricks' detracts from the good stuff she did write.  I dont know one of 'that mob' * that didnt somehow get busted or exposed or had some silly belief going .

* meaning, the ones that seemed to be out there , travelling, 'advertising' (themselves)  ,  at the 'forefront' ... the lesser 

armchair explorers, the 'secondary writers', acolytes, etc. -   less so. 

A part of the magician is the trickster and illusionist ,  they often have ways of drawing attention to themselves 

Rosaleen Norton - the 'Witch of Kings X  '   ( Sydney) and artist

Rosaleen-Norton.jpg

ROSALEEN-NORTON_06.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users