Geof Nanto

Favourite Staple Foods

It's not studies that have shown me this.

It's people with hard calcium oxalate crystals that eventually come out of their kidneys.

That's what I saw over a period of about 45-50 yrs.

It's not usually normal healthy people who take up "health foods", so many of the "smoothie" people are pumping calcium around their bodies in the wrong way from chronic lack of sunlight when they start flooding the system with oxalates from raw greens mixed with fruit solvents (or even sugar & chemicals from modern food products).

But not all people.

Some people get plenty of sunshine and good water, lead active lives, and some even eat somewhat modestly.

They seem less likely to develop issues, unless they grabbing a fad and overdose on it.

Everyone is, of course, free to make their own observations, or to believe studies, or just do whatever they like.

It's actually really hard to fully understand these things, studies are not always a reliable way to understand them. And sometimes empirical knowledge such as yours is more important. However studies are a good indicators of how things do work as long as you can be critical of them and understand the limitiations of knowledge one actually gains from the results of certain methodology.

But the reason i would like to see studies is because it has been shown that while high oxalte intake is common in patients with calcium oxalate stones it is not common with calcium oxalate stones in people with high oxalate intake. And anturally one conclusion is that you need a high intake of both calcium and sodium aswell, but i think this is not enough, i am going to make a qualified guess that low production of urine is also required.

What i am saying is that high oxalate intake is not the only factor in the formation of calcium oxalte stones and that if you are otherwise healthy and eat well balanced and drink enough a high oxalate intake should make little difference for the formation of calcium oxalate kidney stones.

But then again if you do have calcium oxalate kidney stones i think reducing oxalate intake will definitely help.

And it seems to me that your empirical data does seem to be inline with this reasoning of mine, but at the same time i don't think it is wise to make the conclusion that high oxalate intake leads to kidney stones from that same data.

• Like 1

In reading this I have been reminded of many of my favorite staples - mung beans, bulgar - I have not even though about these for a little ng time and used to live on these things!

I'm a big fan of mung beans, I eat them a lot. They're cheap and i can buy big amounts of organic mung beans by wheight and get them in paper bags in a big city nearby where i live. And i just love their taste, and one can sprout them aswell, lovely little things.

Currently I enjoy Tabuoli quite a bit and humus has returned to a high point again.

Chickpeas are a favourite aswell i can by them the same way as mung beans and making humus from them is a favourite, aswell as just frying them with spinache and garlic (and lots of oil).

Sweet potatoes are good inside a rolled tortilla with a bit of mushroom or a slice of bell pepper- any pepper.

I like sweet potatoes, but i seldom buy them. Perhaps i should buy them more often.

Kale salads with edemame and a green dressing - not so fond of kale but like the chewing and also liking kale more - it keeps well.

I'm a big fan of Kale, and something i love to do with them is to make crisps(chips) out of them.

I love coffee but I am also discovering tea - currently enjoying smooth full bodied lychee tea - while lemon grass varieties are a staple and jasmine flower. Tea can be "discovered" for a great many lifetimes. From Yak Butter tea in Tibet to a cup with my master - it may take a bit to find yourself in the subtle somewhat timid teas but once you find your pallete in these it is really something.

I drink around a litre of tea a day, and it is very much something you can dive further into for a long time. I'm very much fond of what most people would call more subtle tastes and can love a good subtle white tea. But i can appreciate a stronger tasting wulong aswell

• Like 2

I'm a big fan of mung beans, I eat them a lot. They're cheap and i can buy big amounts of organic mung beans by wheight and get them in paper bags in a big city nearby where i live. And i just love their taste, and one can sprout them aswell, lovely little things.

Chickpeas are a favourite aswell i can by them the same way as mung beans and making humus from them is a favourite, aswell as just frying them with spinache and garlic (and lots of oil).

I like sweet potatoes, but i seldom buy them. Perhaps i should buy them more often.

I'm a big fan of Kale, and something i love to do with them is to make crisps(chips) out of them.

I drink around a litre of tea a day, and it is very much something you can dive further into for a long time. I'm very much fond of what most people would call more subtle tastes and can love a good subtle white tea. But i can appreciate a stronger tasting wulong aswell

Regarding the kale crisps - how do you make them?

Regarding the kale crisps - how do you make them?

I cut the kale off the stalks and into appropriately sized bits. Put them in some sort of appropriate ovenware i then pour oil, balsamico and herb salt (and sometimes liquid smoke) over them. Then i put them in (the pre-heated) oven. Now there are different schools when it comes to the method of heating, some prefere to do it hot and fast other prefere to do it less hot and slower, either is fine i usaualy go for less hot and slower because it gives me a larger marginal for errors/ditsyness. They're done when they're cripsy (and delicious). One could try out various spices on them aswell, no need for balsamico either if you prefete to abstain from it. Do as you wish, experiment and find your own recipy.

Edited by leth
  • Like 1

Buckwheat.jpg

Buckwheat!

Your post reminded me to buy some buckwheat kernels. I haven't eaten with them for a couple of years. How do you cook them? I haven't found any of the recipes I've tried particularly tasty. But I've milled them into flour and added it into to my sourdough bread mix with good results.

I regularly eat buckwheat (soba) noodles though. It's difficult to get 100% buckwheat but there's a brand of buckwheat pasta spirals I like that's 80% buckwheat and 20% rice flour. 

ORGRAN%20BUCKWHEAT%20PASTA%20SPIRALS%202

On the topic of beets:

Canned or cooked yourself - try this:

Cut them up and put them in a jar with a vinegar that you like - any type and flavor / spice / herb

Let it sit in the refrigerator for a week or so and I think you will very much enjoy the results!

Edited by Spotless
  • Like 1

I enjoy the dried organic mango's from Trader Joes - chewy leathery texture and I have always had a thing for mangos (and apricots).

On the topic of beets:

Canned or cooked yourself - try this:

Cut them up and put them in a jar with a vinegar that you like - any type and flavor / spice / herb

Let it sit in the refrigerator for a week or so and I think you will very much enjoy the results!

This is sold as a finished product over here. Can be found in just about every supermarket.

we're kinda in the midst of fig season now, that's a favourite right there when they're readily available. all kinds of funky goodies that are good for the system, fibre and that jammy flavour :wub:

1186108_913714867930_2082317408_n.jpg?oh

• Like 3

we're kinda in the midst of fig season now, that's a favourite right there when they're readily available. all kinds of funky goodies that are good for the system, fibre and that jammy flavour :wub:

Figs are great! Also the importance of getting what is in season is not to be forgotten.

• Like 3

Milk made out of hempseeds, flaxseeds, walnuts, sunflowerseeds etc and water.Its very dense in nutrients, hydrating, and easy to digest.

another one for the homemade hemp milk, always use it as the base for smoothies. nut milks are fantastic too, i find a blend of different nuts (cashew for sweetness) works really well to balance out the flavour. i feel like hemp is a true star for absorbability, nutritional profile and therefore JING. amazing plant.

• Like 1

mmmmmm.... figs.... I never knew what a fig was supposed to look like or taste like until I travelled to Croatia. They were at the roadside stands, easily three times the size of the ones we see in the grocery stores here, and they oozed sticky fig juice when bitten into. Food of the gods, really. Delicious. That was like fifteen years ago and I still think about them! 

• Like 1

mmmmmm.... figs.... I never knew what a fig was supposed to look like or taste like until I travelled to Croatia. They were at the roadside stands, easily three times the size of the ones we see in the grocery stores here, and they oozed sticky fig juice when bitten into. Food of the gods, really. Delicious. That was like fifteen years ago and I still think about them! 

no wonder Buddha got enlightened under a fig tree! hehe :D

this year has been a bit rubbish for figs, that picture was a box from a couple of years ago. the best ones we get here come from Turkey, that whole area seems to be an amazing spot for fresh produce. would love to travel to the region and sample all the lovely fruits :wub:

• Like 1

no wonder Buddha got enlightened under a fig tree! hehe :D

this year has been a bit rubbish for figs, that picture was a box from a couple of years ago. the best ones we get here come from Turkey, that whole area seems to be an amazing spot for fresh produce. would love to travel to the region and sample all the lovely fruits :wub:

Yes, Turkey is the main source of Western European exotic fruits. But they don't (can't) send out fruits that are oozing juicy ripeness to be sold in our supermarkets. To experience the real thing, you gotta go to the source :-)

• Like 1

Yes, Turkey is the main source of Western European exotic fruits. But they don't (can't) send out fruits that are oozing juicy ripeness to be sold in our supermarkets. To experience the real thing, you gotta go to the source :-)

i do like the sound of giant oozing figs :D

the local market and often lidl have some pretty good stuff though, certainly better than the main brand supermarkets.

Just nuked some popcorn, then put on salt, herbs, a little ghee. 

Relatively low in calories, high in fiber.  Starchy and satisfying.  Whole grain and ready in five.

I second peanut butter. I bought 6 x 454g jars today. They should last about 2 weeks. Eating out of one now.