Songtsan

Supplements you use

I dont take much besides my daily meds.

B1 vitamin supplements in times of mental stress and fatigue, plus its good for the hair and if you take a lot of it and it starts to come out with your sweat keeps mosquitos and similar nasties at bay :)

Magnesium (low concentration) over a short period of time.

The occasional drop of White Flower Oil (i think its called st least, it's a chinese ointment) under the nose against being tired, smelly environment, keeping the nose clear. Its pretty darn nice for massaging sore spots also, just keep it away from the eyes. I think camphor is part of the formula, from the smell of it at least

I've got about three deciliters of Di Da Jow left also, it was well soaked in Remy Martin and i managed to convince the Dit Da and Acupuncture Sifu in town here make sure i got a nice portion of the herbage so it would keep better. I've used it for all sorts of stuff but mainly i got it when i broke my leg. Did wonders for the healing and rehabilitation process combined with his treatment.

• Like 3

I dont take much besides my daily meds.

B1 vitamin supplements in times of mental stress and fatigue, plus its good for the hair and if you take a lot of it and it starts to come out with your sweat keeps mosquitos and similar nasties at bay :)

Magnesium (low concentration) over a short period of time.

The occasional drop of White Flower Oil (i think its called st least, it's a chinese ointment) under the nose against being tired, smelly environment, keeping the nose clear. Its pretty darn nice for massaging sore spots also, just keep it away from the eyes. I think camphor is part of the formula, from the smell of it at least

I've got about three deciliters of Di Da Jow left also, it was well soaked in Remy Martin and i managed to convince the Dit Da and Acupuncture Sifu in town here make sure i got a nice portion of the herbage so it would keep better. I've used it for all sorts of stuff but mainly i got it when i broke my leg. Did wonders for the healing and rehabilitation process combined with his treatment.

Big fan of dit da jow.   Used to make my own, a long time ago.  Need to have some on hand, but don't feel like making it myself anymore, too many projects as it is, trying to cut down.  Is yours custom made? 

• Like 2

Big fan of dit da jow.   Used to make my own, a long time ago.  Need to have some on hand, but don't feel like making it myself anymore, too many projects as it is, trying to cut down.  Is yours custom made?

Yeah i'm a fall hit wino too :)

I think it's his recipe and he got me the good stuff, not tailored to me especially but he had a few different batches and it's lasted me for ages. How well does this stuff keep btw? It smells and works the same to me even years later now.

He wouldnt tell me the herbs (i only got the caput mortum mush so i cant reuse it or pick anything out) and the formula had been steeping for a year or something. He actually looked at me funny when i asked if he had some, he wanted me to get some shaolin herbal paste for my leg but i couldnt afford the treatment and the herbs, i asked if the wine would be of any use so he said yes, good but only less effective.

All i know is he only used top shelf XO to make it. I havent visited his shop/clinic/storage in years but i think he'd still sell me some if i asked nicely.

Do you have a custom formula or did you get a readymade mix? What kind of booze do you use?

I've been pondering making some myself but i dont know where to start even.

• Like 1

Yeah i'm a fall hit wino too :)

I think it's his recipe and he got me the good stuff, not tailored to me especially but he had a few different batches and it's lasted me for ages. How well does this stuff keep btw? It smells and works the same to me even years later now.

He wouldnt tell me the herbs (i only got the caput mortum mush so i cant reuse it or pick anything out) and the formula had been steeping for a year or something. He actually looked at me funny when i asked if he had some, he wanted me to get some shaolin herbal paste for my leg but i couldnt afford the treatment and the herbs, i asked if the wine would be of any use so he said yes, good but only less effective.

All i know is he only used top shelf XO to make it. I havent visited his shop/clinic/storage in years but i think he'd still sell me some if i asked nicely.

Do you have a custom formula or did you get a readymade mix? What kind of booze do you use?

I've been pondering making some myself but i dont know where to start even.

I had a custom formula, probably still have it somewhere, but would take some digging to find.  I used rum.  I remember the bottle was supposed to sit in the ground for a year but I didn't have the patience, so it was more like two months, also good, not as strong but good.  I also remember two of the ingredients, sanqi and xuejie, the former because I had a hard time breaking and powdering it (the root is hard as stone and I didn't have a presliced version) and the latter because I liked the idea of using a dragon's blood. :)

A family member had a bad experience with a paste akin to the shaolin thing, obtained from a local Chinese herbalist -- the paste came off with the skin, leaving weeping wounds.  So, I'm wary of unproven sources now.  I used to have an acupuncturist/herbalist in Chinatown in NYC who was very trustworthy, but I don't know anyone trustworthy here in CA.  If your guy still sells his paste or jow...  well, just asking, just in case.   :)   

Edited by Taomeow
  • Like 1

over the years, i have tried many different types of tid dar jow, some store-bought from chinese medical halls, some home-made by silat masters, and the one i found to be most effective are the ones the muay Thai boxers carry with them. Really powerful. I usually get my Thai friends who are friendly with some muay Thai guys to get a couple of bottles for me whenever they go back to Thailand. 

When my grandfather was still alive he used to concoct his own, and it was extremely good, and he knew his craft cos besides being a liquor merchant, he was also the village bone-setter and Tai Chi teacher. People would come from all over the country to buy his tid dar jow. Regrettably i was too young then, or else i would have seek apprenticeship with him then. 

• Like 3

TM, now i have a very good reason to go see him. I ought to pay him my respects anyway and getting some more jow is a perfect way.

I could mail you a bottle, not sure if it'd clear customs here or over yonder, youre not regularly in europe anymore right? If i get a decent amount from him we could split it and you gimme back the postage on delivery. Lemme go see him first, i'll try to in the next few weeks.

CT

I had no idea there's thai jow, i'll check it out!

Bummer about your grandfathers craft, you sure didnt leave a recipe for you guys?

EDIT

I'll ask Sifu if he does any jow also, he never mentioned it and the idea of passing it on should fall in fertile soil. Otherwise i should ask Dit Da Sifu here in town if he'd teach me how to make it. Long shot and not very likely i think...

Edited by Rocky Lionmouth
  • Like 2

Currently my regimen:

Regularly-

ZMA (Magnesium, Zinc, B-6) since it can be hard to get magnesium in diet, plus zinc helps immune system and many other bodily functions.

Krill oil- trying this out since it is apparently better than fish oil.  Hard to tell, but either way the omega-3s are good!

Probiotic- help with digestion.  Also seems to have a minor effect on mood and energy levels too.

Vitamin D, just because it is the winter.

Not regularly-

Lion's Mane- Mostly for cognitive benefits (this mushroom promotes neuron growth in the brain).

another mushroom blend (Chaga, Miatake, Shittake, Reishi, and Turkey tail) - overall health, immune system, anti-cancer, and b/c I had Lyme disease.

I also made some tinctures that I take as-needed;

Stomach- with cardamom (main), ginger, and turmeric.

Adaptogen blend- blend of Reishi, Shisandra berry, and Turmeric

and then a Reishi tincture.

If any bums want any of the above tinctures, I'd be willing to sell for cheap/maybe do some trade?  You have to pay for shipping and the bottle, at least . ;)

Edited by futuredaze
  • Like 2

TM, now i have a very good reason to go see him. I ought to pay him my respects anyway and getting some more jow is a perfect way.

I could mail you a bottle, not sure if it'd clear customs here or over yonder, youre not regularly in europe anymore right? If i get a decent amount from him we could split it and you gimme back the postage on delivery. Lemme go see him first, i'll try to in the next few weeks.

CT

I had no idea there's thai jow, i'll check it out!

Bummer about your grandfathers craft, you sure didnt leave a recipe for you guys?

EDIT

I'll ask Sifu if he does any jow also, he never mentioned it and the idea of passing it on should fall in fertile soil. Otherwise i should ask Dit Da Sifu here in town if he'd teach me how to make it. Long shot and not very likely i think...

That would be awesome, thanks for the thought!  I don't know if it would clear the customs, I used to get bottled stuff from Europe, the package was marked "herbal medicine" or "cosmetic," but it was a few years ago and I don't know the situation right now.  Hopefully it's still doable -- if it's not too much trouble.  I am thinking ahead to taiji camp, which my teacher conducts every year -- six hours of taiji six days a week -- last year I would have used the jow the very first day if I had it, because I discovered that my shoes and the floor of the premises didn't know each other and failed to communicate.  Usually it's a good idea to match one to the other, i.e. if the floor is sticky, the shoes have to be more on the gliding side, whereas if the floor is slippery, the shoes have to have traction...  well, I got it wrong both ways, the first day the floor glued my foot and twisted something in it, the second day (different shoes) I just couldn't stand my ground in push-hands -- they push, I go skating.  By day three I finally figured out the shoe-floor alliance, but had to keep borrowing other people's aches and pains remedies because I didn't think ahead to maybe needing my own...  and between those concoctions being invariably either too stinky or not efficient enough, or both, I wasn't a happy camper.  Or, rather, I was, but my ankle wasn't.  

Edited by Taomeow
  • Like 2