alchemist

Dao Bum

• The Dao Bums
  • Pip
  • 125 posts
  • Interests:Daoist school Wuliupai

Posted 24 July 2014 - 04:27 AM

Hi all,
I am a disciple of a Daoist school Wuliupai, and I would like to introduce the TTB members to the main principles of the School.
Here is a short quote from a Wikipedia article:

> The school's doctrine is related in the works of the school's founders: "Common Teachings of Immortals and Buddhas" and "True Principles of Heavenly Immortality" by Wu Chongxu; and also in "Book of Understanding Life" and "Confirmatory Teachings of Golden Immortals" by Liu Huayang. The school puts its main emphasis on the practice of internal alchemy, in order to realise Tao, thus achieving a status of "an immortal and a buddha". A distinctive trait of the school is its postulated identity of Taoist principles with those of early Chan Buddhism. As E. A. Torchinov noted in the foreword to his translation of Zhang Bo-duan's "Chapters of Understanding Life", "With time the immortals came to be regarded as taoist counterparts of Buddhas, which have led to creation of syncretical schools (albeit dominated by Taoism) of Immortals and Buddhas (xianfo) in 16th-17th centuries; in these schools tenets of Buddhist doctrine were only perceived through the lens of taoist tradition."

The whole article can be found here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wuliupai
In this topic, I will be glad to answer any questions about the School you may have.
Later I am planning to give some translations of the classics of the School and some notable Daoist texts.
BR
  • gendao, Wells, Walker and 9 others said thanks

#2 Cheshire Cat

Cheshire Cat

Cat blessing sentient beings

• The Dao Bums
  • Pip
  • 1206 posts
  • Interests:Yoga, Tantra, Meditation,Kabbalah, Sufism, Gnosis, Comparative Religion/Tradition, Health, Psychology, Psychotherapy, Neuroscience, Energy Work, Neidan, Neigong, Kung Fu, Honey, Tribal warfare, Spirits, Shamanism, Beer + orange juice, Sex

Posted 24 July 2014 - 06:38 AM

Thank you for being here.

From the wuliupai website:

In contrast to the systems of qigong, JIUYANGSHENGONG is a fully self-regulating mechanism of the pre-heaven qi, where the yuan qi passes through certain channels of the body automatically; it does not use the regulation of qi by consciousness, conducting of qi through the channels, the concentration of consciousness at the centers of the body and other methods of working with post heaven qi that lead_ to such deviations.

I think this is an indication that the method of the school is an high level one, and I imagine that it probably involves some secret posture and the ch'an way of dealing with the mind.

Am I correct?

• gendao and alchemist said thanks for this

#3 Aetherous

Aetherous

only a student

• The Dao Bums
  • Pip
  • 9094 posts
  • Interests:bai hao oolong

Posted 24 July 2014 - 03:12 PM

In this topic, I will be glad to answer any questions about the School you may have.

I have a couple of questions for you...

1) Are English speaking representatives from your school ever thinking about traveling to teach a little bit in the USA or Canada? I would love to learn the beginning practices (which I've read about on the website), and I'm sure many others here feel the same way.

2) Are the requirements for students of your school very strict? For instance, I've heard that students are expected to travel to China each year...and for many people that ends up being too expensive and time consuming to continue. Does the school accept people who are in college?

Thanks.

• gendao and alchemist said thanks for this
Tara's Triple Excellence Buddhist program

"Motivation is the key; discipline is the key; teamwork is the key" = basic training pushup mantras.

#4 LaoZiDao

LaoZiDao

Dao Bum

• The Dao Bums
  • Pip
  • 281 posts

Posted 27 July 2014 - 10:10 PM

Great.

Dao rain Tao..if I may...there should be no posture, Yang requires movements.

Yuanqi cannot be moved or felt by consciousness, imagination or visulizations. These are all incorrect and not true Daoist methods.

As far as I know JIUYANGSHENGONG is only the beginning method to clear channels etc. Its not the main neidan work.

There is a study group from Dao De Center Russia teaching Yu Xian Pai (Dao De Center Russia is Wu Lui Pai's home as well) in Canada.
Www.northerndao.org/neidan
  • gendao and Cheshire Cat said thanks for this

#5 LaoZiDao

LaoZiDao

Dao Bum

• The Dao Bums
  • Pip
  • 281 posts

Posted 27 July 2014 - 10:14 PM

I look forward to the translations!
  • gendao, Andy_W, Cheshire Cat and 1 other said thanks

#6 alchemist

alchemist

Dao Bum

• The Dao Bums
  • Pip
  • 125 posts

Posted 28 July 2014 - 03:39 AM

Thank you for being here.

From the wuliupai website:

I think this is an indication that the method of the school is an high level one, and I imagine that it probably involves some secret posture and the ch'an way of dealing with the mind.
Am I correct?

Hi DAO rain TAO,
Thank you for the question.
This is a basic method of our school, but it is a high level one in comparison to the post-heaven practices like qigong.
It doesn't use postures and mind, that's the difference between pre-heaven and post-heaven methods.
BR

Edited by alchemist, 28 July 2014 - 04:25 AM.

• gendao said thanks for this

#7 alchemist

alchemist

Dao Bum

• The Dao Bums
  • Pip
  • 125 posts

Posted 28 July 2014 - 04:18 AM

I have a couple of questions for you...

1) Are English speaking representatives from your school ever thinking about traveling to teach a little bit in the USA or Canada? I would love to learn the beginning practices (which I've read about on the website), and I'm sure many others here feel the same way.

2) Are the requirements for students of your school very strict? For instance, I've heard that students are expected to travel to China each year...and for many people that ends up being too expensive and time consuming to continue. Does the school accept people who are in college?

Thanks.

Hi Aethorous,
Thank you for the questions,
1) In fact, that is not in our nearest plans. I want to be understood correctly: my goal here is not to advertise the School, but only to give some information about the authentic tradition of Daoist alchemy, since there is a lot of pseudo-Daoist schools and teachers.
Anyway, besides that, I think that visiting USA or Canada can be discussed, but only if there is a lot of interested persons.
2) The requirements are very strict, but visiting China is not one of them at the moment. Learning is not that expensive, and we do accept people who are in college.
BR

Edited by alchemist, 28 July 2014 - 04:24 AM.

#8 alchemist

alchemist

Dao Bum

• The Dao Bums
  • Pip
  • 125 posts

Posted 28 July 2014 - 04:21 AM

I look forward to the translations!

Sure, just wait a bit.
BR

#9 MooNiNite

MooNiNite

TT

• The Dao Bums
  • Pip
  • 2449 posts
  • Interests:programming, web development, php, c#, javascript, html, css

Posted 28 July 2014 - 04:42 AM

i think the quote makes it clear they use quieting the mind as the method of cultivation. it's the only way to achieve "automatic" progress.

however i guess there is a possibility of me being wrong, not being a student...

the website info makes it look like dragon gate, minus the confucius aspects of DG

..nvm..this is exactly like dragon gate :D

Edited by MooNiNite, 28 July 2014 - 04:45 AM.

#10 alchemist

alchemist

Dao Bum

• The Dao Bums
  • Pip
  • 125 posts

Posted 28 July 2014 - 04:49 AM

I would also like to answer the post from another thread here:

Hi (fellow) Alchemist!

That surely sounds interesting what the Wikipedia article has to say about your system. I found the following quote particularly intriguing:

"A distinctive trait of the school is its postulated identity of Taoist principles with those of early Chan Buddhism."

This is reminiscent of certain writings by Alan Watts - even though he tended to look at early Eastern philosophies from the Zen perspective of spontaneous awakening and was not so interested in the more Taoist/Alchemical/Qigong approach that your school seems to follow. That said, I think that such distinctions are somewhat artificial and that the different outlooks are in truth  rather complementing than contradicting each other. Hey, doesn't this sound quite Taoist? ^_^

Be that as it may, I am looking forward to further exchange.

Cheers,
Michael

In our school, it is considered that the principles of Daoism and early Chan are identical, but that does not apply to the latter period of Chan/Zen. There was a lot of traditions in the past that are based on the principles similar to the ones of Daoist alchemy, but there are much less of them today.
BR

Edited by alchemist, 28 July 2014 - 05:21 AM.

#11 alchemist

alchemist

Dao Bum

• The Dao Bums
  • Pip
  • 125 posts

Posted 28 July 2014 - 05:01 AM

i think the quote makes it clear they use quieting the mind as the method of cultivation. it's the only way to achieve "automatic" progress.

however i guess there is a possibility of me being wrong, not being a student...

the website info makes it look like dragon gate, minus the confucius aspects of DG

..nvm..this is exactly like dragon gate :D

Quieting the mind is a condition of cultivation, but not a method itself. It is a result of other methods.
Wuliupai is a descendant of Dragon gate, but its methods differ. That's because the Patriarchs of Wuliupai also belong to other (non-DG) lineages.
Also, it is worth noting that Wuliupai has no official website in English. The one you can find is semi-official, made by volunteers, and some part of the information there may be incorrect.
BR

Edited by alchemist, 28 July 2014 - 05:02 AM.

• gendao, effilang and MooNiNite said thanks for this

#12 MooNiNite

MooNiNite

TT

• The Dao Bums
  • Pip
  • 2449 posts

Posted 28 July 2014 - 05:03 AM

Wuliupai is a descendant of Dragon gate, but its methods differ. That's because the Patriarchs of Wuliupai also belong to other (non-DG) lineages.
Also, it is worth noting that Wuliupai has no official website in English. The one you can find is semi-official, made by volunteers, and some part of the information there may be incorrect.
BR

Ah interesting, good to know!

Quieting the mind is a condition of cultivation, but not a method itself.

I would disagree! :D

#13 alchemist

alchemist

Dao Bum

• The Dao Bums
  • Pip
  • 125 posts

Posted 28 July 2014 - 05:05 AM

I would disagree! :D

I mean it is not a method in Wuliupai. There are practices that give quieting the mind as a result.
BR

Edited by alchemist, 28 July 2014 - 05:09 AM.

#14 MooNiNite

MooNiNite

TT

• The Dao Bums
  • Pip
  • 2449 posts

Posted 28 July 2014 - 06:36 AM

I mean it is not a method in Wuliupai. There are practices that give quieting the mind as a result.
BR

On another note, 

I'm interested in the current Wuliupai "master", he must be very interesting! Anything to add?

Thanks. and your English is quite good. 

Edited by MooNiNite, 28 July 2014 - 07:08 AM.

#15 Aetherous

Aetherous

only a student

• The Dao Bums
  • Pip
  • 9094 posts
  • Interests:bai hao oolong

Posted 28 July 2014 - 07:04 AM

Anyway, besides that, I think that visiting USA or Canada can be discussed, but only if there is a lot of interested persons.

Thanks for your answers, alchemist.

I will make a separate thread asking everyone here if they're interested in attending a Wuliupai seminar in the USA, just to see if there is enough interest.

I understand about how some schools don't advertise as a rule, and that there are a lot of false methods out there.

• gendao, MooNiNite, damdao and 1 other said thanks
Tara's Triple Excellence Buddhist program

"Motivation is the key; discipline is the key; teamwork is the key" = basic training pushup mantras.

#16 alchemist

alchemist

Dao Bum

• The Dao Bums
  • Pip
  • 125 posts

Posted 28 July 2014 - 09:45 AM

On another note, 

I'm interested in the current Wuliupai "master", he must be very interesting! Anything to add?

Thanks. and your English is quite good. 

Hi MooNiNite,
Thank you.
The current Patriarch of the School in China is the Teacher of the United Yang (Daoist name). I will publish the translations of some of his texts later.
The Master of the Russian branch of Wuliupai (the one I belong to) is Dmitry Alexandrovich Artemyev, my teacher and a disciple of the Teacher of the United Yang. He translated a lot of Chinese texts into Russian, and I will publish some of these texts translated into English.
BR

Edited by alchemist, 29 July 2014 - 12:37 AM.

• gendao and MooNiNite said thanks for this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users