GreytoWhite

Concentrative and Nondirective Meditation Systems

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2014/05/140515095545.htm

The article linked above is something I found very interesting. I think that many systems integrate aspects of both concentrative and nondirective meditation but focus more on one side than the other. My limited experience would lead me to classify certain systems as below. Your thoughts and additions are appreciated.

Concentrative

Healing Tao

Yucatec numerical/geometric visualization

Bardon

Nondirective

B.K. Frantzis' water method

Zazen

• Like 2

This is really interesting and informative, GreytoWhite. Thank you!

Different meditation techniques can actually be divided into two main groups. One type is concentrative meditation, where the meditating person focuses attention on his or her breathing or on specific thoughts, and in doing so, suppresses other thoughts.

The other type may be called nondirective meditation, where the person who is meditating effortlessly focuses on his or her breathing or on a meditation sound, but beyond that the mind is allowed to wander as it pleases.

IMHO both of those approaches are flawed for long-term serious cultivation, though both are better than nothing. The former is too forceful, deliberately suppressing anything creates internal conflict that ultimately has to be revolved. The latter is trying to do two things at once - the mind can't really be focusing at the same time as wandering.

Here's a different classifaction:

*Concentrative - focusing on one particular thing, and whenever there's distraction just maintaining a focus on the object until the distraction naturally passes.

*Nondirective - open awareness to input from a particular sense, or all senses, without attachment or aversion to, or trying to control, whatever happens to arise.

Both of these could be split into subtypes of whether the meditation is aimed at developing concentration (shamatha), insight (vipashyana), energy work, cultivation of virtues, and combinations of those. I say 'aimed at developing' rather than just 'developing' because working on one aspect of cultivation will overflow into improving others.

I take a more concentrative approach in mindfulness of breathing and a more nondirective approach in resting the mind in its natural state (observing whatever happens in the mind, without influencing it), in both cases practising as shamatha methods. Both approaches are complementary, getting to the same place from different angles.

It's important when using the nondirective approach to actually be precisely aware of what is going on, like someone watching a crowd walk past with interest, rather than just daydreaming and zoning out, like someone in a car watching road markings zip by in a trance. There's a big difference between open shining awareness and wallowing in a peaceful sluggishness.

Anyhow, good article. :) Interesting how in both cases similar parts of the brain are lighting up. IME concentrative trains the mind to be still, while in nondirective the motion winds down by itself.

Edited by Seeker of Tao
  • Like 4

I found this interesting.

My current meditation format (which has e/de/volved over time because the internal stuff is a relationship) doesn't really have any steady state. Sometimes I am just "being" so it's pretty zazen like, most the time though I'm interacting internally, and there is a "directed" element (although I may leave it open, usually there is a given topic or energy I'm working on) but the interactive experience is spontaneously unique to the moment, albeit some common practices (sort of cultural norms) are inside that. Often it begins conversation, becomes interactive, shifts to a sort of shared-bliss of not thinking. (and on a less ideal day, then Zzzzz lol)

It seems to me that the "soft tech" of the human mind could probably do a whole spectrum of things for exploration or communion. Doesn't need to be one extreme or the other. I know when I began I needed and wanted some kind of paint-by-number plan. But eventually if the inside opens up, so to speak, that isn't really required anymore.

RC

• Like 1

Yijing tells one pretty clearly that just one method is in violation of the laws of nature, for it doesnt sufficiently allow for change.  Its every bit as vital to preserve Change amidst Order as it is to preserve Order amidst Change.  Yang Line moves to Yin line.  Without a concentrative method in one's toolbox, the nondirective is rudderless (or perhaps some mix of impaired rudder and engine, if I'm to start trying to get too accurate with analogy.)  Without a nondirective method, the concentrative doesnt realize its extent properly and the technique will be overused and sully the yinyang transition.

The Rabbit quickly establishes the cauldron; the Rooster confidently creates the elixir;

But the Turtle, is on top of the Foundation, after the single Yin and Yang lines, with the branches progressing to digrams - two energy centers are worked with after the Foundation is established - but establishing the first, is part of the foundation itself.  Do this and this without delay - then take your time with the next part!

These ol chinese carvings and artworks, they all have displays of how things change.  If one doesnt know how to change, one stagnates as a present method's usefulness wanes, and plateaus happen more often and with larger tabletops.

eYma2E1.jpg

Edited by joeblast
  • Like 1