16 replies to this topic

#1 Brian

Brian

He's a very naughty boy!

• Steward+
  • Pip
  • 8844 posts

Posted 30 April 2014 - 09:12 AM

Anyone noticed what appears to be a slow-motion trainwreak currently underway in Venezuela? Any Bums there, from there or with close connections there? I'm wondering what the insider's perspective is...
  • OldSaint and Harmonious Emptiness said thanks for this
"Bright blue his jacket is, and his boots are yellow."

#2 Owledge

Owledge

Owl on edge - owlverdrive owlnage!

• The Dao Bums
  • Pip
  • 3209 posts
  • Interests:wisdom, success, my little ponies, dowlphins (with and without laser cannons), music and other art, being successful, gaining wisdom, redundancy, redundancy, repetition, incomplete lists, ...

Posted 05 May 2014 - 01:04 PM

Forget the insiders perspective. If you encounter a very vocal Venezuelan internet-active person ranting about the evil government, it's just a sheeple.

Well, I can give you a rich and concise answer, but it takes some time on your part.

Since you seem inquisitive though, here you go:

current events

http://www.venezuelanalysis.com

Starting with this one might be a good idea though: http://venezuelanaly.../analysis/10533

past events (for better understanding of current events)

("The Revolution Will Not Be Televised")

Spoiler

Edited by Owledge, 17 March 2017 - 01:46 PM.

This is an outlage! I have been waiting for an owl! _____ Owl my god! ... I owl you one! _____ Yes, huuuh do!
(Pun-dit the pundit master punned it faster. But I won't bicker, 'cause I've done it quicker. One owl of just me and you and owl have punned thee, too.)
Cure ail and whine with ale and wine! --- KnOWLedge is pOWL! --- Wowl! Nowl I'm Punning Owl owlver the place!

Puneal gland wide owlpen!!! My head's full of Dimethowltryptamine! ... Hahaha! Gonna win the Punitzer prize for that one!

Please excuse my good English.

PinkiePie_trampoline_sig.gif

#3 Brian

Brian

He's a very naughty boy!

• Steward+
  • Pip
  • 8844 posts

Posted 17 March 2017 - 01:13 PM

Venezuela has a bread shortage. The government has decided bakers are the problem.

#4 OldSaint

OldSaint

Dao Bum

• The Dao Bums
  • Pip
  • 4529 posts
  • Interests:Practice

Posted 17 March 2017 - 01:28 PM

It's been happening for awhile now. People have been eating there pets for sustenance. 

https://www.facebook...17655304996872/

• Brian said thanks for this

#5 Owledge

Owledge

Owl on edge - owlverdrive owlnage!

• The Dao Bums
  • Pip
  • 3209 posts
  • Interests:wisdom, success, my little ponies, dowlphins (with and without laser cannons), music and other art, being successful, gaining wisdom, redundancy, redundancy, repetition, incomplete lists, ...

Posted 17 March 2017 - 01:34 PM

For comparison:

https://venezuelanal....com/news/12986

The topic that's left open is whether those bakeries did it because they had trouble surviving financially (and if so, due to own fault?) or because they are capitalist-minded, so to speak. (A bakery having plenty of flour stocked sounds fishy, though.)

It's interesting (and totally predictable) that the US press article completely ignores the fact the thing was initiated by customer complaints. that wouldn't fit the evil-government narrative. And of course the headline is deceptive. After all, to the masses, anything below headline is fine print.

Edited by Owledge, 17 March 2017 - 01:47 PM.

This is an outlage! I have been waiting for an owl! _____ Owl my god! ... I owl you one! _____ Yes, huuuh do!
(Pun-dit the pundit master punned it faster. But I won't bicker, 'cause I've done it quicker. One owl of just me and you and owl have punned thee, too.)
Cure ail and whine with ale and wine! --- KnOWLedge is pOWL! --- Wowl! Nowl I'm Punning Owl owlver the place!

Puneal gland wide owlpen!!! My head's full of Dimethowltryptamine! ... Hahaha! Gonna win the Punitzer prize for that one!

Please excuse my good English.

PinkiePie_trampoline_sig.gif

#6 Brian

Brian

He's a very naughty boy!

• Steward+
  • Pip
  • 8844 posts

Posted 17 March 2017 - 01:37 PM

The beatings will continue until morale improves...
  • thelerner and OldSaint said thanks for this

#7 Mig

Mig

Dao Bum

• The Dao Bums
  • Pip
  • 157 posts

Posted 17 March 2017 - 01:43 PM

they talked about them because is a strategic area as it is Ecuador, nobody talks about Bolivia or Central America countries, they are less important though they are having similar or worst problems. As for Central America countries, still old banana republics.

#8 thelerner

thelerner

Been here long enough to know better

• Concierge
  • Pip
  • 10034 posts
  • Interests:Getting Closer to Fine
    W/out going too Crazy

Posted 17 March 2017 - 01:49 PM

Probably the only ones remaining are capitalist minded (ie make a profit).  I assume ones run by the government went under years ago.   The Marxist model of artificial price controls inevitably leads to shortages.   Human nature plus the law of supply and demand are working against the Venezuelan government.  Two forces that cannot be held back by bureaucrats or wishes. 

Marxism/Communism leads to financial ruin.  Price controls sound like magical solutions and they work for a bit, then inevitably they back fire and create shortages.   There are so many examples of Marxist and Fascist countries that have taken over land, factories/production and seen surplus's reverse themselves within a few years.  It happens so regularly and predictably that this is Economics 101. 

That's not saying Unimpeded Capitalism is without problems, but Marxism is a quick guarantee of ruin.  That's why the two largest communist countries, China and Russia, after literally creating conditions that starved millions of there own people turned to Capitalism, and saw life expectancies increase and dire poverty go way down. 

Brians OP request (for an honest answer from a normal citizen) would be dangerous for someone living there to answer honestly.    

• OldSaint, Brian, dust and 1 other said thanks
Push hard to get better, become smarter, grow your devotion to the truth, fuel your commitment to beauty, refine your emotional intelligence, hone your dreams, negotiate with your shadow, cure your ignorance, shed your pettiness, heighten your drive to look for the best in people, and soften your heart. A creed from Pronoia

Where we have stopped dancing, singing, being enchanted by stories, or finding comfort in silence is where we have experience the loss of soul. Dancing, singing, storytelling, and silence are the four universal healing salves. ~ Gabrielle Roth

#9 Brian

Brian

He's a very naughty boy!

• Steward+
  • Pip
  • 8844 posts

Posted 17 March 2017 - 01:55 PM

Anyone notice the size of the government-mandated standard loaf, or what horrible thing they were using the misappropriated government flour for?

#10 thelerner

thelerner

Been here long enough to know better

• Concierge
  • Pip
  • 10034 posts
  • Interests:Getting Closer to Fine
    W/out going too Crazy

Posted 17 March 2017 - 02:05 PM

Anyone notice the size of the government-mandated standard loaf, or what horrible thing they were using the misappropriated government flour for?

article in Owledge link said a standard Ven. loaf was mandated at 180 grams or 6.35 ounces.  Kind of like a large roll.  In the U.S a loaf of white bread is typically 16 to 22 oz. 

• Brian said thanks for this
Push hard to get better, become smarter, grow your devotion to the truth, fuel your commitment to beauty, refine your emotional intelligence, hone your dreams, negotiate with your shadow, cure your ignorance, shed your pettiness, heighten your drive to look for the best in people, and soften your heart. A creed from Pronoia

Where we have stopped dancing, singing, being enchanted by stories, or finding comfort in silence is where we have experience the loss of soul. Dancing, singing, storytelling, and silence are the four universal healing salves. ~ Gabrielle Roth

#11 OldSaint

OldSaint

Dao Bum

• The Dao Bums
  • Pip
  • 4529 posts

Posted 20 March 2017 - 08:36 AM

https://www.facebook...hc_ref=NEWSFEED

#12 OldSaint

OldSaint

Dao Bum

• The Dao Bums
  • Pip
  • 4529 posts

Posted 23 March 2017 - 11:02 AM

Meme money....wow. Surreal.  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol: :ninja:  :ninja:    

http://thelibertaria...ced-pepe-memes/

#13 Brian

Brian

He's a very naughty boy!

• Steward+
  • Pip
  • 8844 posts

Posted 23 March 2017 - 12:50 PM

Meme money....wow. Surreal. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :ninja: :ninja:

http://thelibertaria...ced-pepe-memes/

An inflation rate like they are experiencing is essentially a flame-out; the only real question is how steep the glidepath is.

Think of economies like the Weimar Republic or Zimbabwe...

#14 Brian

Brian

He's a very naughty boy!

• Steward+
  • Pip
  • 8844 posts

Posted 31 March 2017 - 02:41 PM

Venezuela's Maduro decried as 'dictator' after Congress annulled

#15 Brian

Brian

He's a very naughty boy!

• Steward+
  • Pip
  • 8844 posts

Posted 20 April 2017 - 08:32 AM

For those who haven't been paying attention...

The government just seized the General Motors factory.

Protestors are being shot in the streets.

After years of confiscating guns from the citizenry, the President has now promised to arm his supporters to help stop the opposition.
  • OldSaint said thanks for this

#16 Apech

Apech

Ghost Cat

• The Dao Bums
  • Pip
  • 11309 posts
  • Interests:Ancient Egypt, Hermeticism, Meditation, Buddhism other stuff

Posted 20 April 2017 - 10:42 AM

For those who haven't been paying attention...

The government just seized the General Motors factory.

Protestors are being shot in the streets.

After years of confiscating guns from the citizenry, the President has now promised to arm his supporters to help stop the opposition.

That's crazy why didn't they go for Ford?

"The details of the practices should not be seen as technical tools for methodically building some sort of structure. It is not about building; instead, try to relate to the practices as the creation of a beautiful garden."   An Introduction to Ngöndro by Jetsün Khandro Rinpoche

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users