"The problem with most of these "free" lessons is that they don't care for the health and safety of the practitioner." By Dwai

Also how many westernized yoga studios does walk into and see the teachings of yama and niyama posted front and center?

I'd say forget about most of the energy stuff except for that related to normal and balanced health through very basic hatha yoga for without yama and niyama we would be mostly getting way ahead of ourselves. (at least I know I would and it seems to be very prevalent at this site considering the number of posts on kundalini and so forth...)

I think most Western Yoga studios are a travesty. You won't get any arguments from me in their defense.

• Like 2

I think most Western Yoga studios are a travesty. You won't get any arguments from me in their defense.

Well I have mixed feelings... for instance if certain westernized yoga studios (normally with limited qualifications) would be completely honest in writing that they only give a beginner hatha yoga practice that is mainly intended for general health, and thus is without a large percentage of its other and important spiritual teachings rooted in Hinduism - then that may lead people to looking further into the many schools of Hinduism. Anyway, I think people interested in general health is great and places where beginner hatha yoga is not abused nor based primarily on making money often have very fit and happy members.

Edited by 3bob
  • Like 2

Well I have mixed feelings... for instance if certain westernized yoga studios (normally with limited qualifications) would be completely honest in writing that they only give a beginner hatha yoga practice that is mainly intended for general health, and thus is without a large percentage of its other and important spiritual teachings rooted in Hinduism - then that may lead people to looking further into the many schools of Hinduism. Anyway, I think people interested in general health is great and places where beginner hatha yoga is not abused nor based primarily on making money often have very fit and happy members.

Then don't call it 'Yoga', call it "Hatha Yoga" or "Asana studio". People fool themselves into thinking they are learning yoga..when they are only learning asana. Which is not a bad thing at all...but is incomplete.

Also this leads to over-emphasis on the physical body and it's looks/shape/form. Dare I say, many 'pure hatha yoga practitioners' can be pretty narcissistic and ego-maniacal...

I remember a very respected member of TTB asking me to post a video of my "asana" form :)

Is that the yoga? Or is that which happens inside, after pratyahara, dharana and samadhi, yoga?

Edited by dwai
  • Thanks 1

Then don't call it 'Yoga', call it "Hatha Yoga" or "Asana studio". People fool themselves into thinking they are learning yoga..when they are only learning asana. Which is not a bad thing at all...but is incomplete.

Also this leads to over-emphasis on the physical body and it's looks/shape/form. Dare I say, many 'pure hatha yoga practitioners' can be pretty narcissistic and ego-maniacal...

I remember a very respected member of TTB asking me to post a video of my "asana" form :)

Is that the yoga? Or is that which happens inside, after pratyahara, dharana and samadhi, yoga?

the following is not in the same context but one might ask, "why Lord Siva"?

by Jayaram V

"Maya is both an aspect and function of prakriti. The dynamic power of Siva is called prakriti or shakti. In his aspect as suppressor (vamadeva), Siva uses maya as his concealing power to suppress his own powers in the beings and objects he creates. It is not uncommon to see the words maya and prakriti being used interchangeably to denote shakti. To avoid confusion, in this article we prefer to use maya as an aspect and function of prakriti rather than prakriti itself and also use the word prakriti and shakti synonymously or interchangeably. Maya in Saivism is considered as one of the three impurities that bind the jivas to the mortal worlds through delusion. The other two impurities are anava (egoism) and karma (willful actions)".

(underline by me)

Edited by 3bob

I'll give you an analogy of the way a "system" can be presented to the public. My teacher (who was also Forest of Emptiness' teacher) is very good at presenting the concepts of Taiji Quan and Daoism in the context of both application as well as meditation (Dao Gong).

Despite his being a senior student of Master Waysun Liao (the primary teacher of Temple Style Tai Chi in the world), and a recognized Master (by Master Liao), he does not freely disseminate this information to the public. He doesn't make videos, doesn't write books, etc - all of which he has both the mastery (of the subject) as well technical capabilities to do.

He quietly teaches those who are genuinely interested (and I've seen several students come and go over the 12-13 years I've been his student) - and doesn't hold back. But also gives the teachings appropriate to our individual levels...

That is true, selfless, and dedicated service, IMHO.

• Like 2

Did someone give you a lead way back when while you were looking to find your present teacher...?

Spirit uses any and all means, even those we may have trouble with including unexpected, unforeseen and unearned Grace.

Edited by 3bob

Hi friends, I have been on this forum for many years, and I can say that I am very grateful for all I have learned here.

I am curious to go deeper in my practice, and I feel drawn to Kriya Yoga. Thing is, I know this whole realm of teachers/ and especially kriya yoga is shrouded in so much mystery or shenanigans.

I humbly am calling on the collective wisdom of the Bums, should I seek out a teacher? Or do I just go back to my meditation/yoga practice as is, and keep rolling along? Has anyone had any personal experiences with Kriya and could they offer their advice? Thanks in advance!

Hi there, my two cents:

I do not know the kriya system very well, but as far as I can tell from friends that practice in the indian yogic system - it makes a lot of sense to have a teacher.

I think the kriyas are traditionally thought after asana and pranayama has matured, no?

so when do you know if it has matured or not for example? also as you work more directly with subtle energy currents of the body - that are connected with very primal creative forces of the psyche, it is important to have expert guidance, be connected to a living lineage, be psychologically healthy and prepared to face some strange unknown (possibly painful) Territory of your being etc.

so far the inner yogas of tibetan buddhism (Anuyoga - tantras), for the most part are not accessible - and that is a very very good thing if you ask me, for they are so powerful that without proper preperation and supervision while you learn and practice them you probably go straight to the lemon factory to munch some psychopharmaca for breakfast lunch and dinner.

I do not know if Kriya Yoga has the same dangers, but just to be sure I would rely on a teacher - check that teacher + the organisation, go there (as an observer) for some times, ask people - do research online and offline, no seriously do your research and if there are no major red flags it is save to start practicing in general.

I think the lineage of Swami Yogananda is in pretty good hands no? I am not sure but I have a good feeling with his lineage and how it moved to the west (for the most part at least)

Edited by RigdzinTrinley
  • Like 2

Hi friends, I have been on this forum for many years, and I can say that I am very grateful for all I have learned here.

I am curious to go deeper in my practice, and I feel drawn to Kriya Yoga. Thing is, I know this whole realm of teachers/ and especially kriya yoga is shrouded in so much mystery or shenanigans.

I humbly am calling on the collective wisdom of the Bums, should I seek out a teacher? Or do I just go back to my meditation/yoga practice as is, and keep rolling along? Has anyone had any personal experiences with Kriya and could they offer their advice? Thanks in advance!

Find a teacher. In the mean while, prepare your field so to speak, so the teacher will plant the spiritual seed.

How to prepare? Do yoga or other mind body exercises, meditate, etc. also become more aware of your dreams - lucid dreaming etc.

Teachers will often come via dreams. We have to be ready to accept them and ready to learn and remember when we wake up.

• Like 3

This thread has some info about kriya yoga. http://www.thedaobums.com/topic/37379-raising-kundalini-following-introduction-to-kundalini-and-tantra-by-swami-satyananda-saraswati/#entry606031
  • Like 1

Hello!

One place where non-sectarian kriyabans are hanging out is the ""Other Systems" subforum of AYP.  You can get straight talk about kriya there. 

http://www.aypsite.org/forum/forum.asp?FORUM_ID=29

For instance, here is one highly knowledgeable kriyaban's breakdown of the main differences in the lineages and the different teachers of each lineage:

http://www.aypsite.org/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=16041#136883

You can then run a search for each name mentioned there, etc.

It is truly a wonderful lineage! I can't say enough good things. 

Yes, there is the shroud of "mystery and shenanigans", but that shroud is lifting due to the efforts of people like this and their willingness to share online.  Ennio Nimis deserves special mention in this regard.  And in a very recent development, an actual Kriya Guru is sharing more openly as well:

http://originalkriya.com/

Edited by Creation
  • Like 2

Yes a friend and I brought Sri Mukherjee over from India last year, he taught around 70 people the Original Kriya of the Pranabananda lineage while he was here and from him I was taught to initiate and teach others.

I have never initiated anyone and doubt I ever will I take the commitment far too seriously more so than many do including Sri Mukherjee.

Sri Mukherjee is a wonderful teacher.

Edited by Pilgrim

the following is not in the same context but one might ask, "why Lord Siva"?

by Jayaram V

"Maya is both an aspect and function of prakriti. The dynamic power of Siva is called prakriti or shakti. In his aspect as suppressor (vamadeva), Siva uses maya as his concealing power to suppress his own powers in the beings and objects he creates. It is not uncommon to see the words maya and prakriti being used interchangeably to denote shakti. To avoid confusion, in this article we prefer to use maya as an aspect and function of prakriti rather than prakriti itself and also use the word prakriti and shakti synonymously or interchangeably. Maya in Saivism is considered as one of the three impurities that bind the jivas to the mortal worlds through delusion. The other two impurities are anava (egoism) and karma (willful actions)".

(underline by me)

I thought anava (egoism) and karma (willful actions) stem from Maya (illusions).

If we were to look at the world through the lens of Maya, then there is only one thing.  Maya. Where does three impurities come from?

If we take the Maya lens off, then there are three or infinite number of impurities. 

Post edited for minor correction in words. In addition, the content below added:

"Saivism" is a very broad categorization.  Any one who worships Lord Siva in any of the path might go under this.  There are various schools in "Saivism" from Bhakti based schools to yoga and tantra.  There is also self-inquiry path in "Saivism".  Can I ask you the reference or the material that prompted you to make the this particular comment about 3 impurities in context of "Saivism".  I may be the one, taking this out of context.  I wouldn't argue for or against any set of beliefs lightly.  The word Maya or Illusion ticks me off some times for whatever reasons.  I get confused when people talk in the context of Maya.   From advaitic standpoint of Maya there is only ONE that appears as many.  If I understand the Buddhist standpoint of Maya, all are bubbles and when bubbles are broken there is nothing left but void.

Edited by Cauvery

I'll give you an analogy of the way a "system" can be presented to the public. My teacher (who was also Forest of Emptiness' teacher) is very good at presenting the concepts of Taiji Quan and Daoism in the context of both application as well as meditation (Dao Gong). 

Despite his being a senior student of Master Waysun Liao (the primary teacher of Temple Style Tai Chi in the world), and a recognized Master (by Master Liao), he does not  freely disseminate this information to the public. He doesn't make videos, doesn't write books, etc - all of which he has both the mastery (of the subject) as well technical capabilities to do. 

He quietly teaches those who are genuinely interested (and I've seen several students come and go over the 12-13 years I've been his student) - and doesn't hold back. But also gives the teachings appropriate to our individual levels...

That is true, selfless, and dedicated service, IMHO.

You have captured the essence of this beautifully.

The two things that you stated are vital for imparting knowledge.  I think they are true for "Kriya Yoga" also. 

1) Teaching those who are genuinely interested without holding back

2) Give the teachings appropriate to individual levels

Whether it is the yoga schools (kriya initiation or any other type) in the west, or in India,  wherever money is collected and yoga is taught in a group.  The "appropriateness to individual levels"  goes out the door. This is just worse -- taken to the extreme -- on the indiscriminate teachings given through internet, claiming it can work for all.  Secrecy is meaningless and causes damage.  I welcome the knowledge to be documented.  But, teaching in groups or internet???

For the point 2 above, the attention of the teacher is needed to student at individual level.  There is no 'two ways' to look at this. The intentions can be noble for the teachers who want to impart the knowledge of yoga or kriya.  They want to give it away.  In a way they are acting out of compassion.  

However, if they cannot teach based on where each seeker is, then kriya yoga or not, it looses it's meaning.  One size does not fit all.  There is no "One Kriya" that can fit all level of seekers.  After the initiation, if the follow up with the student to measure their progress (appropriateness) is not there, then in a way these teachers are putting the students in danger.   That may not be their intention.  Nevertheless that is the result of such actions  -- creation of an unsafe environment for all of us.

Edited by Cauvery
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 3/26/2014 at 11:39 AM, forestofemptiness said:

For the yogis and pranamayans out there, it looks like Kriya Yoga has been open sourced:

Kriya Secrets Revealed by J.C. Stevens (step by step guide with pictures, I have this book)

Kriya Yoga by Ennio Nimis (the free version; similar material, but much harder to read)

Oh my. Can’t recommend the Stevens book. He is well intended but those materials are corrupted big time. And allot of it he did not even know the source of.

Ennio however is not teaching anything His is for comparative analysis and there are many alterations presented.

I have known Ennio for years we talk on ocassion. When Stevens first published it hurt Ennio deeply as he pumped him for info.

I patched that relationship so yes I do know of that which I speak.

Ennio has forgiven him for years now and is of the opinion sharing is good as some will find value in practices shared altered or not.

Reader do understand neither is a source for exactly what the different lineages teach.

Ennio is a very good person with a deep desire to help all who come to him.

Edited by Pilgrim
  • Like 2

On 5/24/2016 at 10:31 PM, RigdzinTrinley said:

Hi there, my two cents:

I do not know the kriya system very well, but as far as I can tell from friends that practice in the indian yogic system - it makes a lot of sense to have a teacher.

I think the kriyas are traditionally thought after asana and pranayama has matured, no?

so when do you know if it has matured or not for example? also as you work more directly with subtle energy currents of the body - that are connected with very primal creative forces of the psyche, it is important to have expert guidance, be connected to a living lineage, be psychologically healthy and prepared to face some strange unknown (possibly painful) Territory of your being etc.

so far the inner yogas of tibetan buddhism (Anuyoga - tantras), for the most part are not accessible - and that is a very very good thing if you ask me, for they are so powerful that without proper preperation and supervision while you learn and practice them you probably go straight to the lemon factory to munch some psychopharmaca for breakfast lunch and dinner.

I do not know if Kriya Yoga has the same dangers, but just to be sure I would rely on a teacher - check that teacher + the organisation, go there (as an observer) for some times, ask people - do research online and offline, no seriously do your research and if there are no major red flags it is save to start practicing in general.

I think the lineage of Swami Yogananda is in pretty good hands no? I am not sure but I have a good feeling with his lineage and how it moved to the west (for the most part at least)

I would avoid SRF the organization Yogananda founded, I was involved with it the early days, and know former monks.

The master is gone what remains is more of a church of sorts. 

If you want a real teacher one who will give the time and actually help contact Donald Abrams at www.Kriyalove.com.

Don was a personal student of Paramahamsa Hariharananda

(Paramahamsa Hariharananda Was a personal student of Yogananda and Sri Yukteswar Giri first.)

for something like 20 years or more and has been teaching for over 30 years to a select small group. Don is now teaching full time to a much larger audience using all the tools of the internet and in person as well.

I have spent time with the Kriya Gurus and organizations.

Don is the only one I ever met who actually stays in touch with people and is happy to offer actual guidance beyond just giving techniques.

Funny fact many teaching Kriya today came from Hariharananda there are even some like Nityananda who did not even know it because there Guru did not tell them until much later on.

There are allot of would be Kriya Gurus that are really just students so caution and common sense.

I'm surprised no one has mentioned Santatagamana.

https://realyoga.info/

His books are available on Amazon, of course. I haven't read them, but I was working with Ennio Nimis' writings for a while. This was before I decided to take up Qigong as my personal practice. Also, Ryan Kurczak has written some books and has several videos on YouTube on the practice of Kriya Yoga.

2 hours ago, escott said:

His books are available on Amazon, of course. I haven't read them, but I was working with Ennio Nimis' writings for a while. This was before I decided to take up Qigong as my personal practice. Also, Ryan Kurczak has written some books and has several videos on YouTube on the practice of Kriya Yoga.

I’ve read santatagamana’s book and like it. However it is really not about the techniques per se, but rather about what to do with the techniques. I’m not a Kriyāvån and so won’t know if it is true, but it seemed like he gave the impression that most of the students don’t get to the “advaita” with their practice and he was pointing to that as being the end goal of Kriya Yoga. 

Edited by dwai
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, escott said:

They are not bad, I discussed him with Ennio a few months back, he thinks he knows who he is and is happy that he is making the attempt to share things.

As for me I like his Fiery attitude and passion and direct attitude and take on things. He has some good stuff  many of the practices are from other sources not Kriya related at all. This is not to say not good but rather he is emphatically stating what he has found to be good.

I admire his spirit and have purchased the series to further promote his efforts to make things more clear but in the end it is the one parking their but on the cushion and doing the practices for themselves that realizes more in more in time and no book can give that.

• Like 1

Also, Swami Satyananda Saraswati published 'A Systematic Course in the Ancient Tantric Techniques of Yoga and Kriya' in 1981. If yoga was my primary practice I think this would be my Bible. I was able to download a free PDF and was working through it for a while.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, escott said:

Also, Swami Satyananda Saraswati published 'A Systematic Course in the Ancient Tantric Techniques of Yoga and Kriya' in 1981. If yoga was my primary practice I think this would be my Bible. I was able to download a free PDF and was working through it for a while.

A great yogi to be certain.

Many great works but not the same.

Kriya started with Lahiri Mahasaya in the 1800’s

The word has many meanings and can be applied everywhere.

Hariharanandaji explained it well Kriya is the Gita. If a practitioner realizes Krishna as the sole doer in all things then this is the practice of Kriya.

Nice dated Video: