daojones

Tarot Set for beginner - any recommendations

lololol I was thinking more the Linda Falario deck actually ;). Boy do I have some horror stories about working with a whole set of 8x10's of the major arcana of that deck!

Who ... what ... <goes to google .... comes back> do i detect some of Crowleys 'cartoon Qjippoth' sigils on them.

I did my own versions of them ( :D ) ... I believe they got published in 'Liber-T' No 1.' The 'Chief' saw it and he was <_< and "Well, I suppose eventually some joker was going to do that!"

• Like 1

love this deck, however it only has illustrations of the higher arcana

As evinced by your avatar? :) Shame about no illustrations as I like pictures. There are standard mnemonic techniques to get started like using a story for each suit and linking the sense of each card with their element and corresponding number on the The Tree of Life.

One thing I wish I could go back and do with me learning the Tarot is instead of studying the intellectual definitions of each card......first just look at the pictures and describe it to yourself and what its trying to say. Get an intuitive understanding of the cards before and intellectual understanding. Psychic Tarot by Nancy Antenucci seems like a good book on the topic.

My 2 cents, Peace

• Like 1

Everytime I teach someone new about tarot, I tell them I have this rule. For the first month or 2 of doing readings they are not allowed to look up any meanings or definitions of any cards.

I also get them to do readings for me, or on situations I know about.

I find them overall to be WAY more accurate than some so called "experienced" readers. Though do keep in mind I have only so far taught tarot to really psychic people.

• Like 1

While they do line up with those quite nicely, there was also something different about them. I did travel the tunnels, but not with the cards. What I did is print all the major arcana out, and created a magic circle with them... that I worked in for awhile...

Btw, this is NOT recommended, do NOT do this at home, that was one of my dumber moments... lol.

I agree! do them WITHOUT the circle!

muhahaha :D

• Like 2

Ah so we have some 'intuitive tarotists' here. That begs the question ; what do you see as intuition?

Some understand it as little more than a hunch. What is the intuitive qualifier or test without a framework tarot meaning ?

Much of my professional reading has been damage control from other readers telling clients really weird shit ... a few times I have seen their readings (as they recorded them) and MY GOD!

If one does not have a clear understanding of inner processes I have seen ' intuition' as a label that covers anything from a wish to a psychological drive or syndrome all the way through to downright insanity !

How is a beginner going to discern the difference .... especially when its all mixed up with 'channelling' from 'spirit guides' ? :

• Like 1

One thing I wish I could go back and do with me learning the Tarot is instead of studying the intellectual definitions of each card......first just look at the pictures and describe it to yourself and what its trying to say. Get an intuitive understanding of the cards before and intellectual understanding. Psychic Tarot by Nancy Antenucci seems like a good book on the topic.

My 2 cents, Peace

Could you explain why you think Thoth is dark (if you do) ?

Not biased.

Looking at the Thoth deck i don't like the energy and the feeling i get. To me it goes to a place i don't wish to go.

That is what i mean by dark.

Can you describe the energy and feeling?

You do realise that tarot is a reflection of your own psyche ? If you disagree with that could you explain where this place is that you do not wish to go?

Edited by Nungali

However, you have peaked mYTHISmAKERS interest and she will buy the Thoth deck. She has seen it an the past and didn't like it. She uses Rider Waite.

I love the Marseilles deck as it is very archetypal and I connect with it.

I am not a card reader.

mYTHmAKERS web site: http://www.starkarma9.com

Sorry I am a little confused ; you are mYTHISmAKERS and 'her' interest has peaked and will buy a Thoth... ( and has this site you linked to saying she does tarot and palm readings ) but 'you' are not a card reader ???

are you some type of agent for her or communicator between her and TTB or is it a split personality thing or am I not getting something ????

( ' available for parties ' :blink: )

Edited by Nungali

Not sarcastic, confused by what you wrote ... I edited my post above to make it clearer ... it was the way you wrote things

Can you see how it reads ?

" you have peaked mYTHISmAKERS interest and she will buy the Thoth deck. She has seen it an the past and didn't like it. She uses Rider Waite.

I am not a card reader."

THAT is confusing on several issues.

Edited by Nungali

Could you explain why you think Thoth is dark (if you do) ?

The style of how the images were constructed and portrayed. The vibe it put out seemed a bit dark and mechanical. It seemed to have a lot of ego behind it. It's an intuitive thing. :P

My 2 cents, Peace

Edited by OldChi
  • Like 2

Not sarcastic, confused by what you wrote ... I edited my post above to make it clearer ... it was the way you wrote things

Can you see how it reads ?

" you have peaked mYTHISmAKERS interest and she will buy the Thoth deck. She has seen it an the past and didn't like it. She uses Rider Waite.

I am not a card reader."

THAT is confusing on several issues.

I'm guessing it's mythmaker's significant other.

Oh ... the 'Interest' is a descriptive word for 'her' ? I thought it was HIS own interest . - He showed the post to her and she (his interest) got 'peaked'. ??? I am not familiar with the usage of either terms.

Also I suppose one could have a love of the 'Marseilles deck as it is very archetypal and I connect with it', without being a reader ???

Sometimes its hard to understand someone's English and one cannot tell if it is their first language or not (especially when no location is listed).

The style of how the images were constructed and portrayed.

I guess you mean the 'projective synthetic geometry' ? Actually the style of the Thoth came from that with a combination of a Steiner art school movement.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Projective_geometry.

The vibe it put out seemed a bit dark and mechanical. It seemed to have a lot of ego behind it.

Awww ... poor Frieda ... she was sooo devoted to the project and appeared to have soo little ego ... a really nice lady too . (she was the artist)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frieda_Harris

Crowley gives Harris praise in the Introduction to the Book of Thoth:

"She devoted her genius to the Work. With incredible rapidity she picked up the rhythm, and with inexhaustible patience submitted to the correction of the fanatical slave-driver that she had invoked, often painting the same card as many as eight times until it measured up to his Vanadium Steel yardstick!" Throughout the project she insisted on her own anonymity.

It's an intuitive thing. :P

I guess you aren't going to explain to me where/ on what you think your intuition is based on. ???

fharris.jpg

Any 'intuitive' feelings about Frieda? Mine are .... she looks worn out from all that hard work. ;)

My 2 cents, Peace

sure man ... peace

tumblr_md9wi02M3F1r043aeo1_400.jpg

Edited by Nungali

Don't know why your getting personal Nungali, but whatever. After this post I am done with this thread as I don't enjoy being goaded at.

I have nothing against Crowley or the Thoth deck. It's simply not the kind of deck I connected with. Some people have a connection with it, others don't. I didn't.

Whether it's dark or light or brown or yellow.....if it serves the purpose of being a good vehicle for bringing insight and evolving the practitioner......then it is worth its weight. I am sure the Thoth deck has been very useful for many. The 1st reading I ever received was from the Thoth deck....although I knew immediately I didn't like the deck.....it still was a vehicle for my interest in the Tarot.

My 2 cents, Peace

Edited by OldChi
  • Like 1

Anyone know anything about the Hermetic Tarot?

bellwen-hermetictarot2.jpg

It is based on the Golden Dawn and is a GD study deck, the images are basically alchemical and astrological with references to theurgy.

Alchemical symbols for the four elements and astrological symbols are on the cards including Hebrew on the majors. There is a lot of symbols on the card that relate to the astrological and kabbalistic correspondences so that can be a handy reference if you use those.

If you can use the RWS or Thoth you can use this. There is much similarity, some images appear taken from the Thoth.

It might be a deck better suited to spiritual reflection and meditation (like Thoth is IMO ) than finding out “why that boy I like is ignoring me”.

The RWS is also such a deck, but due to various reasons it became very ‘pop’.

• Like 1

Don't know why your getting personal Nungali, but whatever. After this post I am done with this thread as I don't enjoy being goaded at.

I have nothing against Crowley or the Thoth deck. It's simply not the kind of deck I connected with. Some people have a connection with it, others don't. I didn't.

Whether it's dark or light or brown or yellow.....if it serves the purpose of being a good vehicle for brining insight and evolving the practitioner......then it is worth its weight. I am sure the Thoth deck has been very useful for many. The 1st reading I ever received was from the Thoth deck....although I knew immediately I didn't like the deck.....it still was a vehicle for my interest in the Tarot.

My 2 cents, Peace

Well , my intention wasnt to goad you (I actually liked you post above and marked it so) it was to draw you out as I am interested in why. The peace sign at the end was meant to be a joke.

But okay ... some people are more sensitive than I am so I apologise.

I had a converse with a professional artists that didn't like it either ... I had to draw him out too and he got a little upset but then he explained about the art techniques in it from a professional view point (the hands and faces. etc), then I got him and understood what his complaint was ... and I think it was valid.

If you intuitively feel unattached to the deck that is valid too ... and if that's all you want to say ... valid .

But you did explain ... and now I see, so thanks for that.

peace ?

Edited by Nungali

Whether it's dark or light or brown or yellow.....if it serves the purpose of being a good vehicle for bringing insight and evolving the practitioner......then it is worth its weight. I am sure the Thoth deck has been very useful for many. The 1st reading I ever received was from the Thoth deck....although I knew immediately I didn't like the deck.....it still was a vehicle for my interest in the Tarot.

My 2 cents, Peace

The energy current and egregore associated with it- has it's own consciousness per 93 stream :)

Not for everyone.

There was also a chaote current running along side it- or independently, for awhile-

not too good said current though lolol

There was also a chaote current running along side it- or independently, for awhile-

(Stepping carefully) ... would you mind explaining to me what that means please ?

Are you saying the Thoth deck and '93 stream' is primarily (or was primarily) associated with Chaos magick ???

One could say then that it satanic as Anton le Vey used it. Or that the OTO is what Kenneth Grant 'teaches' and is somehow 'infected' by his claims to understand what it is about.

If any thing, the Thoth deck, primarily and through stages in time ( regardless of pop magick/fashion) it is about the teachings and symbolism of the OTO degrees. Not IMO - read Crowley's Book of Thoth ... that is from the developer of the deck itself.

Although I am sure others including chaos magicians and others insist on their own slant to it. The cards in the Thoth deck are virtually the 'tracing boards' of the OTO rituals .... both developed by the same person.