77 replies to this topic

#1 ricemaster

ricemaster

Dao Bum

• The Dao Bums
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 28 September 2013 - 03:38 AM

I'm reading Damo Mitchell's "Daoist Nei Gong". He teaches a practice of rotating the lower Dan Tien, that is using the mind to turn the lower Dan Tien forward (down the front and up the back).

I have never come across this practice before. I wonder if you know of any other references to it and the general opinion about such practice.

Thank you!

• cheya, Seth Ananda and effilang said thanks for this

#2 cheya

cheya

Dao Bum

• The Dao Bums
  • Pip
  • 856 posts
  • Interests:Internal energy work, alternative health

Posted 28 September 2013 - 07:47 AM

Look into Feng Zhiqiang's teachings on Hunyuan: tai chi ruler, bang (stick), and ball are practices that help you train this. Searching "Chen Techniques for rotating the dantian" will get you lots of material!

I've been interested in this for awhile, and below are some links from my files. Can I do it? Not yet, but I think I'm getting there! I found lots more interesting stuff trying to locate the urls for you. Thanks for posting!

http://austinchentai...the-Dantian.pdf

http://tukylam.freeo...om/egroup2.html

http://tukylam.freeo...om/dantian.html

http://tao-meditatio...inner-roll.html
  • Trunk, Daeluin, ricemaster and 2 others said thanks
"The mind follows the body
like the stream clings to the earth."
— Waysun Liao, Nine Nights with the Taoist Master

#3 dwai

dwai

Tryambak Baba ka chela

• Steward
  • Pip
  • 3235 posts
  • Interests:0

Posted 28 September 2013 - 09:06 AM

I'm reading Damo Mitchell's "Daoist Nei Gong". He teaches a practice of rotating the lower Dan Tien, that is using the mind to turn the lower Dan Tien forward (down the front and up the back).

I have never come across this practice before. I wonder if you know of any other references to it and the general opinion about such practice.

Thank you!

Read master Liao's tai chi classics book - he covers the Dan tian rotation in detail in the book.
  • Trunk, cheya, Wells and 3 others said thanks
--
A sinking spiral, rising upward, it opens and closes by turns...

#4 Apech

Apech

Ghost Cat

• The Dao Bums
  • Pip
  • 11234 posts
  • Interests:Ancient Egypt, Hermeticism, Meditation, Buddhism other stuff

Posted 28 September 2013 - 10:27 AM

It happens anyway without any effort.

• Taomeow, Daeluin, soaring crane and 6 others said thanks

"Over himself, over his own body and mind, the individual is sovereign."  J. S. Mill

#5 mjjbecker

mjjbecker

Dao Bum

• The Dao Bums
  • Pip
  • 946 posts

Posted 28 September 2013 - 02:04 PM

Look into Feng Zhiqiang's teachings on Hunyuan: tai chi ruler, bang (stick), and ball are practices that help you train this. Searching "Chen Techniques for rotating the dantian" will get you lots of material!

I've been interested in this for awhile, and below are some links from my files. Can I do it? Not yet, but I think I'm getting there! I found lots more interesting stuff trying to locate the urls for you. Thanks for posting!

http://austinchentai...the-Dantian.pdf

http://tukylam.freeo...om/egroup2.html

http://tukylam.freeo...om/dantian.html

http://tao-meditatio...inner-roll.html

Indeed, as according to Damo Mitchell's website, much of the qigong training in his school comes from the Hunyuan method:

http://lotusneigong....ent/?page_id=27

...he studied the Hunyuan system of grandmaster Feng over a period of several years. He lived and studied with master Ni when in Northern China and also studied the system with other teachers such as Qi Zhaoling and Chen Xiu. The Qi Gong system studied here also formed a large part of Lotus Nei Gong’s syllabus.

• cheya, JohnC and ricemaster said thanks for this
Elvis has left the building.

#6 rainbowvein

rainbowvein

Dao Bum

• The Dao Bums
  • Pip
  • 5965 posts
  • Interests:Tao and Tai Chi

Posted 28 September 2013 - 03:43 PM

If one is a beginner, or not energetically "flow"ing throughout the body, what is the point/benefit to rotating the ldt? :huh:
  • ChiDragon said thanks for this

#7 ChiDragon

ChiDragon

無為道人

• Banned
  • Pip
  • 7466 posts
  • Interests:A Semi-Taoist, understand Chinese fluently, who practiced Tai Chi and Chi Kung with noticeable significant results. Especially, interested in acupressure and had performed on myself and wife to cure minor body pains. Study the true meanings of the Tao Te Ching by doing its translation into English.

Interested in finding and demystify ancient ambiguous ineffable concepts in correlation with modern scientific knowledge.

Posted 28 September 2013 - 11:08 PM

Good question...!!!
Who is going to come up with a good answer for this one.....??? :)

Edited by ChiDragon, 28 September 2013 - 11:50 PM.

靜觀其變 以靜制動
Beware of the unexpected silently
Handle adversity with calmness

Posted Image

#8 dwai

dwai

Tryambak Baba ka chela

• Steward
  • Pip
  • 3235 posts
  • Interests:0

Posted 29 September 2013 - 08:46 AM

If one is a beginner, or not energetically "flow"ing throughout the body, what is the point/benefit to rotating the ldt? :huh:

Without flowing energetically, LDT rotation is going to be a purely imaginary exercise initially. But on the other hand, the flow can get initiated by first imagining it (because the Qi follows the Yi).

• Fa Xin said thanks for this
--
A sinking spiral, rising upward, it opens and closes by turns...

#9 dawei

dawei

Dao Bum

• Admin
  • Pip
  • 8669 posts

Posted 29 September 2013 - 09:16 AM

It depends on what one's goals or objectives are in regards to internal energy practices and the development of the LDT.

If breathing oriented practice is enough for someone, then that is fine and that is where they will remain; with at least a new awareness of energy and the LDT.    Nothing wrong with that as that is the foundation.

Think of it as concentric circles or ripples in a pond.  You start at the smallest circle, where the rock enters the water.  The rock entering the water is akin to learning to drop the breath/Qi all the way down to the LDT.   That generates all the rest of the potential ripples... which ripples outwardly you move to are dependent on the additional internal energy practices pursued.

You'll hear some here talk about these higher level practices, develop of energy and experiences, etc...and you can get a idea of what is going on but you'll never really understand it unless you do it, and one really has no ability to speak to such issues until they practice and experience it.

So it depends on your goals regarding internal energy work and the LDT... 

• Uroboros said thanks for this

#10 SonOfTheGods

SonOfTheGods

lonemanpai.com

• The Dao Bums
  • Pip
  • 2366 posts

Posted 29 September 2013 - 10:01 AM

In magick, a moving visual is easier to imagine/hold than a steady one.

The mind innately yearns to move, so accomodate it.

All my Dan Tiens do that flipping and spinning, naturally.

Dynamic > Static

Edited by SonOfTheGods, 29 September 2013 - 10:01 AM.

• hydrogen said thanks for this

#11 JohnC

JohnC

Dao Bum

• The Dao Bums
  • Pip
  • 707 posts

Posted 29 September 2013 - 06:04 PM

Indeed, as according to Damo Mitchell's website, much of the qigong training in his school comes from the Hunyuan method:

http://lotusneigong....ent/?page_id=27

Woa... and Feng's master was Hu Yao Zhen.... small world.

#12 Bearded Dragon

Bearded Dragon

Dao Bum

• The Dao Bums
  • Pip
  • 480 posts

Posted 29 September 2013 - 11:10 PM

Have played around with doing this in martial arts. Rotating someone else's ldt. Didn't seem to do anything beneficial in any regard. Move your intent a few inches back to the sacrum and people start moving. Not sure if there is any point other than refining the size of it smaller. As has been said this happens naturally as has been told to me by quite a number of people who are quite experienced.

• hydrogen said thanks for this

#13 dawei

dawei

Dao Bum

• Admin
  • Pip
  • 8669 posts

Posted 30 September 2013 - 08:14 AM

RV:  I'll give an example for its use... and others may have some in regards to the Chen Style Tai Ji which is it well known part of.

Let's say one wants to do the MCO... maybe because they want to deal with blockages or reclaim vitality. Whatever.

One method to help in the visualization is to use a 'pearl' and orbit the pearl... but how to get a pearl?  

As a procurer to the MCO, one wants to gather sufficent Qi as it should never be done in a depleted state; Qi easily scatters, etc.

One method is to breath into the LDT, I prefer to bring in through the crown (heavenly Qi) and heels (Earthly Qi), several times and get the stove warmed up... then start to let the heavenly Qi descend to the front of the LDT and the earthly Qi to ascend to the back of the LDT... this will start the rotation and one can use their hands in a circular motion to help encourage their visualization if they want.

Let it rotate for a while and continue like this but then start to compress the energy (which starts off the size of a drum) to a smaller and smaller size... eventually refined to a pearl.  Stop the pearl spinning, drop it into the Huiyin and start the MCO. After done, expand the pearl back...

There are probably hundreds of different practices one might be involved in where they use such techniques. This is just one.  This comes from Jerry Johnson's Medical Qigong program.

• cheya, ricemaster, Uroboros and 1 other said thanks

#14 hydrogen

hydrogen

Dao Bum

• The Dao Bums
  • Pip
  • 832 posts
  • Interests:Qigong, Yoga, meditation, Tao, Matrix, God

Posted 30 September 2013 - 09:16 AM

It happens anyway without any effort.

Is your LDT rotates by itself? How does it feel? Thanks.

• ChiDragon said thanks for this
Self-development is a higher duty than self-sacrifice.
Elizabeth Cady Stanton

#15 PLB

PLB

PLB

• The Dao Bums
  • Pip
  • 278 posts

Posted 02 October 2013 - 04:26 PM

Is your LDT rotates by itself? How does it feel?

I hope Apech answers your question but I would like to say how it feels to me. The dantien is gyroscope that spins all directions. When I "intend" one direction, I am feeling what it is already doing in that direction. I am not setting it into motion but adjusting the mind to the degree necessary to experience it. A bigger mind than mine mind could notice more and so maybe.....

• cheya, Mark Foote and SonOfTheGods said thanks for this

#16 Apech

Apech

Ghost Cat

• The Dao Bums
  • Pip
  • 11234 posts
  • Interests:Ancient Egypt, Hermeticism, Meditation, Buddhism other stuff

Posted 03 October 2013 - 03:59 AM

Is your LDT rotates by itself? How does it feel? Thanks.

My style of practice is 90% natural and unforced.  At one stage from doing sitting meditation my gaze would focus on the LDT and it would start to churn.  Sometimes it was pleasant and sometimes not - when it was unpleasant it felt like I was being purged of 'bad' energy and sometimes I would feel a bit sick and my body became kind of heavy and unsettled.  Otherwise usually it resulted in a feeling a bit like going up in a lift, floor by floor in fairly quick succession and then a light going on in my head.  This would subside and then the process start again.  This was quite a number of years ago when this happened regularly ... now it does not tend to happen as it was a result of a particular stage to do with the filling of LDT. 

• cheya, rainbowvein, ricemaster and 1 other said thanks

"Over himself, over his own body and mind, the individual is sovereign."  J. S. Mill

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users