Rara

The Way, then the other Ways?

So far I have interpreted Taoism's purpose as gaining enlightenment. Lao Tzu has many words to say on this topic and as my general understanding goes, this appears to be what monks are striving for.

Then you look at the other side. We talk about having our own "Way". For me, at present, I would call that not being bound to anyone or anything and doing whatever I please. In a nutshell...that's me. Naturally, just doing my thing and not caring to conform to trends.

That was very brief, but my question is this. Do you think we really DO have our own Way? Or is there a universal true Way, being the path to enlightenment?

Right now, I would say I'm using the Tao of music and entertainment. And kung fu too ;) But occupying my time with such paths distracts me from a path to enlightenment.

I have had many moments in which I have touched the universe and the heavens...and it would be great to devote my life to this. I would love to. But I'm already so far on my current Way. Am I attached to this Way, or am I just "normal" by deciding to put my life's work, girlfriend and hobbies at the forefront?

What do you think. Has anybody else had similar thoughts?

In order for a path to lead to enlightenment, it must have particular characteristics:

*Reducing attachment to things.

*Increase virtue.

*Develop the capacity for absolutely single pointed focus to be maintained effortlessly for hours with superhuman vividness (samadhi).

*Unveil your non-conceptual wisdom, such that you realise all phenomena are dependently originated and lack an inherent nature.

*Ultimately lead to realisation of Tao, the neither existent nor nonexistent inconceivable reality beyond all duality (including that of duality vs. non duality!) which all phenomena are expressions of.

So, while I'm certainly not one of those prats who says 'only THIS one tradition is any good', I'm not someone who says 'all paths lead to the top of the mountain'. Some lead partway up, some lead all the way, some lead backwards.

If you want to get to a particular goal, you need to really consider what you are doing and how it leads - or doesn't lead - to that goal. Everyone is doing something, even sitting still waiting to die is a deliberate choice. Not everyone is making progress to enlightenment, because not all choices lead there.

Enlightenment is not a different thing for different people, it's full realisation of Tao and acting from it as a clear channel. So while different people will follow slightly different approaches to get there, surely the key themes must be identical? :)

• Like 1

I get so exhausted sometimes, because I'm running a full-time life and reading, contemplating and meditating at any given point in between. I refuse to drive and I take public transport everywhere (and my work requires traveling everywhere!) just so I can practice on the journey, rather than occupying even more of my time with driving!

I love what I do, and it's my way - built=in talents that I have worked on throughout my whole life. But there is now a voice in me saying "Fine, but it's not THE Way...there's an alternate path that will lead to enlightenment but all the traveling and working is use of energy elsewhere that is being exhausted - thus preventing enlightenment"

There could be a big decision to make at some point, I feel.

Only you can decide what is the best way for you but it might be a mistake to think it is all about leaving regular life behind, that is just an idea often perpetuated by those who are trying to escape life rather than embrace it. In the Chan and Zen traditions one of the highest regarded masters was a guy called Layman Pang who was just a regular working guy with a normal life but could run rings around most of the masters who spent half their lives meditating in solitude. The highest realization is that nirvana is samsara and samsara is nirvana, so on the fundamental level your working and family life is just as much the pinnacle of spiritually as the highest meditation state.

Edited by Jetsun
  • Like 3

Even if you meditate 4 hours a day, there's still about 12 waking hours off the cushion. It's important to make all your activity compatible with cultivation.

This doesn't necessarily mean living like a puritan. Be a little imaginative. For example, I listen to some metal bands like Avenged Sevenfold, Bullet for my Valentine... on the face of it, I'm stuffing my mind with violent impressions. But I make it kind of a wrathful deity thing, and segue this into cultivation.

Mantras can generally be chanted in the back of your mind pretty much constantly. Vipashyana and the 4 immeasurables can be done while you're walking or travelling. You could do tonglen on coworkers, customers, random people you walk past. Toilet breaks - sit in a stall for a few more minutes for pranayama and meditation. It's possible to keep a peripheral awareness of your breath or your thoughts most of the time. Take advantage of opportunities to help people. Use problems as opportunities to develop patience.