#1 Harmonious Emptiness

Harmonious Emptiness

nemesis: Erroneous Cleanliness

• The Dao Bums
  • Pip
  • 3350 posts
  • Interests:Putting Classical Chinese thoughts into English words

Posted 27 August 2013 - 02:00 PM

just wanted to say somewhere, that Dao De Jing would be best anglicized as "Classic on Dao, and the Way of Virtue."

#2 Marblehead

Marblehead

The Wondering Taoist

• Steward+
  • Pip
  • 36900 posts
  • Interests:Short Skirts and Bikinis

Posted 27 August 2013 - 02:36 PM

I have seen it pretty close to that already.

Yes, I think "The Way of Virtue" is very descriptive.

• Harmonious Emptiness said thanks for this

I reserve the right to be wrong.

YIN-YANG.jpg I reserve the right to change my mind. Anarchy4.jpg

Peace & Contentment!

#3 dawei

dawei

Dao Bum

• Admin
  • Pip
  • 8739 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 04:39 PM

Classically speaking... 'virtue' should come first as that was the 'way' it was first grouped; De chapters before Dao chapters.

But the closest to you idea that I have seen is by Richard John Lynn with the title, "The Classic of the Way and VIrtue" , but I might prefer "The Classic of the Way and its Efficacy".

The oldest references to the texts make no titling attempt; they simply refer to Laozi, or "The Laozi" if we suppose any titling was inferred... but other references include "Laozi in ancient script" which may be a nod to the [heathen] Chu script it was written in. Which has some dissimilarity to the northern writing before characters were more standardized.

Arguably the earlier comments made on the Laozi was by the legalist Hanfeizi who wrote in two parts but as "Explaining Laozi" and "illustrating Laozi".

Eventually there was a 'part 1' and 'part 2' mentioned and even a 'De Jing' (De Classic) and 'Dao Jing' (Dao Classic).   But by the time of the historian SIma Qian he said Laozi talked about 'DaoDe' and it has forever stayed in that order we know today.

• rene, Marblehead and Harmonious Emptiness said thanks for this

#4 Harmonious Emptiness

Harmonious Emptiness

• The Dao Bums
  • Pip
  • 3350 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 05:49 PM

Yeah, I guess the all work.  I just feel like the title was meant to imply also "The Way of Virtue" steming from the context of the day which inspired so the "100 schools of thought" (Confucianism, Mohism, etc., etc.,).

It seems to say "here is the Dao (of the universe), the way of virtue (of humanity), and the way they relate." 

It's a minor difference from "The Way and It's Virtue" but I think "De" in the title was inferring the mundane level of virtue, even more so than it was to "the mystical character of Dao."

Not sure if I would agree or not, but you could argue that it shows virtue to describe Dao, more than showing Dao to describe virtue.  Thus, it seems that the title has maybe been over-mysticalized, excluding the obvious "treatment/treatise of behavioural virtue" side of the title, in the other translations of "Dao De Jing."

#5 dawei

dawei

Dao Bum

• Admin
  • Pip
  • 8739 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 07:03 PM

The reason that some, like myself, don't like 'virtue' as a translation is that it then becomes anthropomorphic (human characteristic or attribute) when De is on the same level as Dao in origin.

De is the power/capacity/efficaciousness of Dao; 

Dao is the blueprint; De is the construction at work.  The ten thousand arise according to Dao Will through De....  JMO

#6 rene

rene

無道

• The Dao Bums
  • Pip
  • 1920 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 07:16 PM

dawei, agree. 

De has nothing to do with human-morality-virtue. Choosing 'Virtue' to represent the character for 'de' had everything to do with the Jesuit translators.

Efficacy is closest in meaning, imo.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
There is the famous Zen story of:
Mountains; no mountains; Mountains.
In Daoist terms, this is like:
Laozi; Zhuangzi; Laozi
~ dawei

#7 Marblehead

Marblehead

The Wondering Taoist

• Steward+
  • Pip
  • 36900 posts

Posted 28 August 2013 - 02:09 AM

De is the power/capacity/efficaciousness of Dao; 

Yep.  Dao is "what is".

De is how it works.

"Virtue" is the "how it works" of Dao.

"virtue" is the "how it works" of man.

What was that one title I saw?  "The Way of Virtue and Its Power"  Something like that.

Peace & Contentment!

#8 dawei

dawei

Dao Bum

• Admin
  • Pip
  • 8739 posts

Posted 28 August 2013 - 05:49 AM

What was that one title I saw?  "The Way of Virtue and Its Power"  Something like that.

Yes, I have seen that title too and think it may read and convey the idea quite well.

• Marblehead said thanks for this

#9 Harmonious Emptiness

Harmonious Emptiness

• The Dao Bums
  • Pip
  • 3350 posts

Posted 28 August 2013 - 01:36 PM

"The Way of Virtue and Its Power"

I like this even better actually, because it also speaks to how virtue works across existence, the supportive nature of water and Dao, as well as in the mysterious power of virtuous behaviour.

Thanks (y') all

• Marblehead said thanks for this

#10 sillybearhappyhoneyeater

sillybearhappyhoneyeater

Dao Bum

• The Dao Bums
  • Pip
  • 410 posts
  • Interests:I love jazz music, Chet Baker and Charlie Haden especially.
    I'm also very keen on tea and have run an award winning tea company called the tea kings.

Posted 27 October 2014 - 03:01 PM

A better way would be to look at the meaning of the word "de," (sorry, lazy, Chinese isn't turned on).

That character, while having the modern meaning of virtue, also has an interpretation as a way to view something.

so Dao De Jing could be called "the way of viewing the Dao classic," or "the way of using virtue to view the dao."

Although these translations are a bit more unpacked than the original characters, they are somewhat more reliable than trying to go for a direct translation.

• Marblehead and dawei said thanks for this

www.daoistmeditation.com

please read my book "internal elixir cultivation, the nature of Daoist meditation"

http://daoistmeditat...theory-classes/

weekly classes in Daoist meditation methods.

www.chayotea.com

great tea from China and taiwan.

#11 ChiDragon

ChiDragon

無為道人

• Banned
  • Pip
  • 7466 posts
  • Interests:A Semi-Taoist, understand Chinese fluently, who practiced Tai Chi and Chi Kung with noticeable significant results. Especially, interested in acupressure and had performed on myself and wife to cure minor body pains. Study the true meanings of the Tao Te Ching by doing its translation into English.

Interested in finding and demystify ancient ambiguous ineffable concepts in correlation with modern scientific knowledge.

Posted 02 November 2014 - 03:58 PM

I have seen it pretty close to that already.

Yes, I think "The Way of Virtue" is very descriptive.

I would say that the "way of virtue" is describing the "virtue of Tao". De is to credit Tao for being impartial in its action. The virtue of Tao which makes Tao virtuous. The De section of the TTC describes how and why Tao is virtuous with many examples. Humans become virtuous by following the virtuous manner of Tao.

Edited by ChiDragon, 02 November 2014 - 03:59 PM.

靜觀其變 以靜制動
Beware of the unexpected silently
Handle adversity with calmness

Posted Image

#12 Marblehead

Marblehead

The Wondering Taoist

• Steward+
  • Pip
  • 36900 posts

Posted 03 November 2014 - 03:24 AM

I would say that the "way of virtue" is describing the "virtue of Tao". De is to credit Tao for being impartial in its action. The virtue of Tao which makes Tao virtuous. The De section of the TTC describes how and why Tao is virtuous with many examples. Humans become virtuous by following the virtuous manner of Tao.

Agreed.  In my understanding, the TTC speaks to both the Way of Tao, the way of man (often unnatural), the Virtue of Tao, and the virtue of man (often unnatural).  I think one of Lao Tzu's goals was to bring the two closer together.

But that is not always an easy task.

• ChiDragon said thanks for this

Peace & Contentment!

#13 dust

dust

灰眼胡

• The Dao Bums
  • Pip
  • 2437 posts

Posted 03 November 2014 - 06:06 AM

Having read all these comments, which offer some great insight.. I've decided that I don't care!

As far as translating it, though I over-think many things, I don't think the title's worth over-thinking. The 经 jing "classic" component marks it out as a title that was given much later than the text was written.

All we know for sure is that the earlier versions were called 老子 Laozi / Lao Tzu.

Calling it this puts it squarely next to the Zhuangzi / Chuang Tzu, and many other great -zi authors/texts (Sunzi, Liezi, Mozi, Guanzi)

But please don't take this as a suggestion to stop discussing it.

• Marblehead and dawei said thanks for this

I'm just trying to be somebody I can talk to in the morning with a smile

#14 Marblehead

Marblehead

The Wondering Taoist

• Steward+
  • Pip
  • 36900 posts

Posted 03 November 2014 - 07:26 AM

But please don't take this as a suggestion to stop discussing it.

Don't worry.  If I have anything additional to share I will certainly do so.

(Always remaining silent is not one of my characteristic traits.)

• ChiDragon said thanks for this

Peace & Contentment!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: dao de jing

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users