Hi all.

I watched this last night and thought it was very good. I've been practicing for three and a half years and over the curse, have identified how Taoist the martial art's philosophy is. This documentary explains it all...

I see that there are a lot of Bagua and Tai Chi practitioners on here but not many talk about Wing Chun. I'm quite interested in learning more from the Bagua and Tai Chi philosophies too to draw on similarities more than anything. So anyone with anything to say on any Taoist martial arts, please go ahead :)

• Like 3

I too am interested in training in Wing Chun sooner or later, so I'll watch this documentary later today. But right now, I'm more fascinated with the Internal Martial Arts.

Have you looked at the free pdfs Bruce Frantzis is giving away? He has a bunch of freebies on Tai Chi, and perhaps on Bagua. IIRC, he also has a giveaway on the Hsing-I chapter on his book The Power of Internal Martial Arts.

• Like 1

Wing Chun has its foundation in Buddhist Chan practices...perhaps. As there is no proof of any of the older monks and Wu Mei ever existing.

Even so, the methods of application of mind, and principles of center-line are both of keeping excess from overtaking oneself. Meaning, keep the mind centered, and refine your movement.

This is the same in Chan and in Daoist cultivation. Truthfully, it is neither a Daoist or Buddhist art.

I used to think it was, back when I first started it in 1999. Then I realized it wasn't.

You can make it the way you like it. Then it becomes your Wing Chun. :-)

• Like 3

Yet, just because Wing Chun has Qigong, doesn't mean it is Daoist anything. Sum Nung has his roots of Wing Chun to Buddhism. From the time Wing Chun was developing in its early stages, till now, there may have been practitioners who practiced Daoism, or Buddhism, and added their own principles to the system. This was a normal occurrence in the martial arts in old times.

Wing Chun was a formulation of techniques from other systems. Perhaps some learned one technique, and then it was passed to another person who had 5 techniques. By the time it came down to LIan Zan, he perhaps had loads of techniques, in which he then formulated a form.

• Like 2

Yes it is not Daoist. The Sum Nung Wing Chun is also because the the person turned Taoist, which doesnt make the system Daoist.

Even the fictional Movies are clear about the nun Ng Mui was from Shaolin, nobody dared t o sayuntil now anything else.

True, very true. I met up with Wing Chun family out in Zhu Hai 2 months back, and also in Hong Kong. The Zhu Hai family is from the Zhao Jiu (Jiu Chao) line, who was a younger brother to Yip Man under Chen Hua Shun. In Hong Kong, I met up with Jiu Wan's son, ZHao Hong Jun, a very nice and lively guy, 60+yrs old, looks around 45, haha

The Zhu Hai family kept the forms that ZHao JIu and Yip Man learned, and also practiced Pan Nam's 1st form for more of an internal cultivation. They said that Yip Man did indeed change the forms, and did not teach the forms he was taught, but maintained the "traditional" foundations. Zhao Hong Jun also commented how Yip Man did indeed do that, and his father, Jiu Wan, though learned from his uncle, Zhao Jiu, took discipleship with Yip Man, and changed his forms to Yip Man's rendition, as it was faster to learn, and faster to teach. Jiu Wan was Yip Man's gongfu nephew, and later disciple.

All added their own flavor, as anyone does in their martial arts over a period of time. Therefore, a martial art may not have been "Buddhist, or Daoist" in its upringing, but later on can develop with those principles, and indeed become someone's "Daoist, or Buddhist" practice.

• Like 2

In Wing Tsun there is the talk about that the Tan Sau is developed the Qi

This is what I found interesting. Just watch 11:00-11:30 and you'll see why I started this thread :D Thanks all!

About Taoism one has to look for Kidney Breathing and Sum Nung Wing Chun.

I have this DVD on my shelf. Did you practice it?

You said you have it on the shelf. So have you exercised to see what it can?

No, I had been doing another one. But I have started this one today. Want to see what it can do. It seems to nourish kidneys. Must be good stuff. But it should be done the whole life.

• Like 1

Yet, just because Wing Chun has Qigong, doesn't mean it is Daoist anything.

True, Daoism has no patent or even a trademark on qi- or neigong :-)

The internal energy has been realized and used by many around the world.

Edited by evZENy