4bsolute

Is there information about Male Haircare (long hair) in Taoism?

Dear Ones,

I come from the West and we have no clue about haircare. Yes we don't. So we were raised with products that only mask our unhealthy lifestyle which automatically affects our hair.

Since I choose to let my own hair grow longer than usual, how do I best take care of it?

I am looking for the most basic of all information, nothing fancy. Simplicity what any monk used in the wilderness. This includes substances when washing (if any at all), drying and combing.

Is there any record of substances used while washing the hair?

Is hair getting dried by the wind or a towel or similar tool being used?

Does one comb his hair?

And if I have forgotten anything important, please let me know.

Feel free to share any information you have.

Kind regards.

I guess I'll wait here until 5 of the random clowns are done with their humor ;) and we can actually get down to synthesizing information.

Thank you.

Edited by 4bsolute

i use dr bronners liquid soap and a conditioner without undesirable chemicals. sun drying is good. washing with only water is good too, you just gotta scrub harder. letting your hair form neglect dreads is fun. your hair really affects you energetically :)

• Like 1

i use dr bronners liquid soap and a conditioner without undesirable chemicals. sun drying is good. washing with only water is good too, you just gotta scrub harder. letting your hair form neglect dreads is fun. your hair really affects you energetically :)

The mystery of long hair and what it does to energies... in India (and I believe in parts of east-asia aswell) the hair-knot under the turban can be seen as a wonderful antenna for energies, directing them right into the crown. Altho from my memory I only know asian-hairstyles that have the hairknot at the natural hair-vortex at the back of the head, if I recall correctly :)

Edited by 4bsolute

:)

The hair, in old Daoist culture, was a sign of strong Yin qi, meaning the kidney qi was very strong, and balanced, that one had refined their jing, qi and shen. It was a sign of being able to live a long life.

Tied up at the baihui point in a knot, was for one, to keep the hair from tickling the face during meditation, next was so no distractions in the face if there were to be a confrontation, and next was to stimulate qi to rise to the crown center by the pressure of the knot being a reminder to the practitioner to cultivate.

It wasn't usually cared for the way society now pampers their hair. It was simply not washed for days, perhaps months. The reason was that showers were not easy to take, cold waters and no privacy. hahaha Also, showering too much opened the pores, and allowed for winds to invade the body.

• Like 6

I use baby shampoo! My Dad has used it all his life and at the age of 60, still has most of his hair. I say that's a good run.

He has thinned a bit on top, by I blame the stressful civil servant job he had for that. My brother has had even worse health (and hair) problems and he followed in his footsteps. Plus, he used other shampoos, so yeah, no wonder he lacks energy and hair.

I, on the other hand, don't bother with the "good job" that isn't meant for me, and wash the hair with "Johnson and Johnson" once every two days. My hair is big, wavy and tough as rope! Woop!

I guess I'll wait here until 5 of the random clowns are done with their humor ;)

The forum wouldn't be the same without them :D

• Like 1

Actually you know those special soap shops...such as lush..buy a shampoo or scrub from there...It is amazing the difference between this kind of shampoo and something like head and shoulders seems to turn my hair into plastic...It never used to be this strong of an effect

do you think it may be beneficial, in a magical sense that is in a way that helps or increases your wellbeing, to pluck all the body hair you have except for maybe the one on top of your head? i heard priests in ancient egypt did this, they are said to remove the hair on they eyelashes also. :) im not interested in looks. its just, could it help your health to do this.. O_o not shaving, one is to remove them thoroughly, with root. i dont know how to accomplish this

Edited by gj551
  • Like 1