LeirTheFox

Thoughts on Meditation Practices?

Well, time to start my 1st thread. It feels so exciting! :P

Recently, I've been dedicating myself to experiment various types of meditation. I started with this one from

, which focused on being able to direct attention to the present moment.

After starting to practice Aikido, I got in touch with Hara meditation by doing the Misogi rites of purification before the training. By doing that, I started to realize how meditation can be used to conduct energy with awareness. Once learning this, I started to search about it, and stumbled a lot on Qi Gong, Tai Chi, as well as other forms of meditation that worked to unblock energy fluxes throughout the body, broading the energy-conduction topic.

So, for not being too widespread, I've been using the Misogi Hara meditation before the Aikido training, and in every day, I've been applying this Wim Hof Meditation -- a cross-pratice between Tummo and Pranayama -- mainly to improve my health condition (the resistance to cold temperature, as stated in the article, is a small plus IMO).

However, I browsed through some articles here and saw people talking about practices of Qi Gong or Tai Chi to attain the same results.

I'd like to ask: should I keep applying this meditation AND start Qi Gong or Tai Chi? What are your thoughts on these kind of meditations?

Thanks a lot!

• Like 1

I use meditation more as mental training, to develop clarity and focus which can then be used to foster insight. This also clears up chi naturally, because the mental hindrances which are causing the blocks in the first place are being eroded.

If you're interested, a tremendously useful book is 'The Attention Revolution' by Alan Wallace. It really tells you what to do, why and how. :)

• Like 1

I wouldn't do too many different forms at the same time, as it might be difficult to tell which ones are of most benefit and you might undo the positive work of one with another and come to the conclusion that both are useless. Tummo is an advanced meditation so its not recommended to do that until you have mastered the more basic stages of mind training and mindfulness.

• Like 1

What are your goals specifically?

I admit I haven't gave the answer first-handedly because I had to put some real thought onto it.

When I first started doing meditation, it was all to be more in touch with my feelings. But when I realized that you could conduct energy, I grew more curious on how you become aware of it, and how can you apply in different pratices (Aikido and Do-In are two examples, but I'm sure you know others).

My goals are:

1) The "feel-good" factor. The ability to look inward and perceive how emotions and feelings seem to have a place in your body, and by being aware of if, the expansion of perception. Meditating has been making me a calmer person who can enjoy more the experiences in the body;

2) Exploring the potentials of the energy. Last time I practiced that meditation (today morning :P), I felt like I had an inner world, inexplored and constantly overlooked. I want to know and see more about it. I know that meditations can be that powerful, and if these energies can be applied in the right way, they can be used to improve the experience of life as well.

I wouldn't do too many different forms at the same time, as it might be difficult to tell which ones are of most benefit and you might undo the positive work of one with another and come to the conclusion that both are useless. Tummo is an advanced meditation so its not recommended to do that until you have mastered the more basic stages of mind training and mindfulness.

Thanks for the consideration, Jetsun. I hadn't applied to many meditation techniques because I didn't wanted to wander off, afraid of not really getting the benefits of it. That's why I do Misogi only as a rite of purification before training, and dedicated myself only to the method taught by Wim Hof so far.

I've been practicing this method regularly for one month and I already started getting the body heat effects. I also heard that tummo is an advanced meditation, but this method is somewhat simple, so I decided to dedicate myself to "see what it happens." I realize that there's not much point on being able to channel inner heat and, at the same moment, not being able to apply the benefits of being calm, focused and compreensive with the events around.

Simplicity is key. You will know why, in meditation. The simpler you lay out your meditation, the deeper you can actually focus on the practice itself. So you have an easy time to let go and let the process unfold.

If you want to get into a full lotus position for example, you do not practice it and hope for a deep meditative state. Because at that time you first become aware of pain and how to deal with it. So sitting in a new and more advanced pose when-ever you dont want to go deep. But you will figure that out for yourself, no doubt.

Forget third-eye openings. You open your heart first. And since it's the center, everything else will open (what might be blocked, over- or underactive). Your heart is your guide, from there we start. And since the heart is directly related to communication with your Higher Aspects, there is no doubt why one would want to open regions like the third eye first.

I have experienced people who want to get into meditation just out of curiosity what mystic lies behind the 3rd eye are (obviously) still so heavily involved into processes of their ego, that their minds are a magnet for pure horror.

Imagine yourself when parts...filter...open in your brain that you during your waking life have active so you dont get confused and can enjoy your "normal life" here on earth, when they open you see into your psyche with a magnifying glass. This is generally how our consciousness works, where ever you put your awareness, things expand and you dive Into it, As consciousness. So for example if one has still suicidal patterns in his mind from a hard time during youth, like I once had, those suicidal aspects are getting so huge, so big, too big for you to handle.

Basicly we can see a "getting into meditation to open the third-eye" as someone who wants entertainment, same as taking an entheogenic trip (psychedelica) without propper guidance. And what results are psychic disorders. You open a tear in "your reality" and look through it, and what you see (in the end is just you...) but you will not identify it as yourself and see... fear, when you are feared :) maybe this is abit hard to understand in the first place, but one day a few months from now you will fully understand this.

Like said, easy posture (cross legged), easy mudra (thumb+index on knees, palms up), close your eyes, focus on your breath until calm and then focus on your heart region until you feel pleasant feelings. And then from there miracles start to happen and you gradually awaken and become aware of your true nature.

Have a wonderful time!

:)

Edited by 4bsolute
  • Like 2

You´ve had good and real attainment after only a month with this method. :)

I would love to hear about your progress.

Hint: The spacious feeling you get in your body can also be reflected in the mind as silence and emptiness. Sitting in silence after practice is very good.

Good luck!

• Like 1

I admit I haven't gave the answer first-handedly because I had to put some real thought onto it.

When I first started doing meditation, it was all to be more in touch with my feelings. But when I realized that you could conduct energy, I grew more curious on how you become aware of it, and how can you apply in different pratices (Aikido and Do-In are two examples, but I'm sure you know others).

My goals are:

1) The "feel-good" factor. The ability to look inward and perceive how emotions and feelings seem to have a place in your body, and by being aware of if, the expansion of perception. Meditating has been making me a calmer person who can enjoy more the experiences in the body;

2) Exploring the potentials of the energy. Last time I practiced that meditation (today morning :P), I felt like I had an inner world, inexplored and constantly overlooked. I want to know and see more about it. I know that meditations can be that powerful, and if these energies can be applied in the right way, they can be used to improve the experience of life as well.

I recommend a combination of seated meditation and movement Chi Gung. There are many types of meditation, however basic stillness meditation will give you deeper perceptions into your body, mind and emotions.

Practicing Chi Gung will help enhance your sensitivity to chi, circulate the energies in your body and also give you a deeper understanding of chi while clearing away blockages and opening up your channels and expanding your consciousness. There are many different styles of Chi Gung, some better than others, find one that resonates with you and your purpose and gets you good results.

My 2 cents, Peace

Edited by OldGreen
  • Like 1

In the endotoxemia experiment, concentration/meditation resulted in increased circulating concentrations of catecholamines, and plasma cortisol concentrations were higher than in any of the previously studied subjects. The subject’s in vivo cytokine response and clinical symptoms following LPS administration were remarkably low compared with previously studied subjects.

Conclusions The concentration/meditation technique employed by the iceman volunteer appears to evoke a controlled stress response. This response is characterized by sympathetic nervous system activation and subsequent catecholamine/cortisol release, which appears to attenuate the innate immune response.

O.K. this is very fascinating. The science behind the Wim Hof meditation method.

http://www.innerfire.nl/files/concentration-pickkers.pdf

Interestingly, 3-minute hyperventilation followed by maximal voluntary breath holding resulted in an even more pronounced and longer-lasting increase in cortisol (43).

So that is the Wim Hof method and it spikes the cortisol to reduce inflammation and increase the immune system response.

a very recent and remarkable study demonstrated a profound rise in catecholamines and cortisol during bungee-jumping which was associated with significantly reduced cytokine production in ex vivo LPS-stimulated whole blood (47). These results are in line with ours....In conclusion, the iceman’s autodidact concentration/meditation technique appears to result in a consciously controlled stress response, characterized by sympathetic nervous system activation and subsequent catecholamine/cortisol release. This response appears to attenuate the innate immune response. The iceman claims that he can teach others this technique within a relatively short time-frame (one week). Therefore, further investigations should establish whether the results obtained in the iceman can be reproduced in larger groups of individuals.

• Like 1

Thanks for the consideration, Jetsun. I hadn't applied to many meditation techniques because I didn't wanted to wander off, afraid of not really getting the benefits of it. That's why I do Misogi only as a rite of purification before training, and dedicated myself only to the method taught by Wim Hof so far.

I've been practicing this method regularly for one month and I already started getting the body heat effects. I also heard that tummo is an advanced meditation, but this method is somewhat simple, so I decided to dedicate myself to "see what it happens." I realize that there's not much point on being able to channel inner heat and, at the same moment, not being able to apply the benefits of being calm, focused and compreensive with the events around.

You might want to study the book "Taoist Yoga: Alchemy and Immortality" - it's a free pdf download -- online - I got it on my blog - I'll post the link there. http://fulllotusqigong.blogspot.com

• Like 1

New Bushmen healing vid from Dr. Bradford Keeney -- these people are the real human culture from 100,000 BCE. We are all Bushmen - they are the original healing culture with real alchemy -- the first qigong masters.

I just finished reading Profiles of the Bushmen Healers.

• Like 1

Have you run into any "feel-bad" experiences during meditation yet?

Well, in fact, no. You got a point there.

You might want to study the book "Taoist Yoga: Alchemy and Immortality" - it's a free pdf download -- online - I got it on my blog - I'll post the link there. http://fulllotusqigong.blogspot.com

Thanks for the suggestion. I already downloaded the ebook and it'll be one of my first readings on the subject, since, as far as I perceive, the summary give some good leads on energies.

I'll also follow OldGreen's suggestion on chi kung, so I can start to know more about the subject. I'm not going to drop off Wim Hof's, since I started to show some results.

Thanks for your insights, everybody. I'm starting to love this forum!

Hi Leir,

Rainbow just pointed out something I think is worth to tell anyone who just got started exploring meditation.

If you made the "feel good" factor the grounds for your practices, you will find what you want to find but you will inevitably feel bad as some point when you can't find the same or greater feeling goodness. Don't get discouraged though.

You know, the funny thing is that all of us are in one kind of meditative states or another.

Do something what your mind can simply do for a long time.

Fruitfulness be on your way.

Edited by XieJia
  • Like 2

I like this thread !

Thanks for kicking this off Leir.

I would be interested in hearing about Heart meditation in particular.

Namaste,

gentlewind