Sign in to follow this  
dogson

Why do tai chi masters seem bored?

Hi all,

I just had a private lesson with the son of a very famous tai chi master in NYC. He seemed completely bored as he did the movements; the whole thing was conducted like he was teaching me how to wash windows.

This seems to be a recurring theme - I understand the taoist ideal of humility, simplicity, and a total lack of ostentatious or excessive movement. Still, this is throwing me.

Chi training to me is the most amazing thing in the world. It's literally cultivating energy from the cosmos - I can feel it deeply, and it changes my consciousness in an immense way to practice for even a few minutes.

So what's the deal? Watching videos of Cheng Man Ching, it's the same thing. I know that great tai chi masters don't need to "do the form" because they already have immense chi, but it just seems so dull, like they don't have any passion or interest at all in what they're doing at all.

I want to keep taking lessons, and practicing, but the vibe I keep encountering with so many of these people really throws me off. I'd love to hear some comments and perspective on this.

I'm into the Gurdjieff school of thought that says, anyone who gets bored, should kill themselves (as stated in a previous discussion on boredom).

Personally, I haven't been bored for about 40 years,...since I let go of the need for distractions and diversions.

In my view, no one should called themselves a master of anything if they get bored.

I'm into the Gurdjieff school of thought that says, anyone who gets bored, should kill themselves (as stated in a previous discussion on boredom).

Personally, I haven't been bored for about 40 years,...since I let go of the need for distractions and diversions.

In my view, no one should called themselves a master of anything if they get bored.

The way Gurdjieff used to teach was that as soon as someone mastered a task or a spiritual exercise he would change it so they have to master a different one, otherwise once the exercise becomes habitual and mechanical it just serves as yet another exercise which you do to send you to sleep. Which is probably exactly what Tai Chi has become for these so called masters, just another mechanical thing sending them to sleep rather than waking them up.

Maybe he isn't bored at all. People often tell me I look bored, but I'm not lol. I'm often content and perhaps people mistake that as boredom. I would imagine that a master at Tai Chi would likely be content as well.

• Like 1

You can't know what their state is like internally. 2 people could be sitting in meditation exactly the same external posture but one can be bored out of his mind and the other having amazing experiences.

You wouldn't necessarily tell which is which.

Same with taijiquan. Since it can be done so softly and internal, doesn't mean its boredom.

Did you get a chance to push/ spar with this master? You could probably tell more then, than watching a form.

• Like 1

Same with taijiquan. Since it can be done so softly and internal, doesn't mean its boredom.

The practice is all in the heart. Otherwise, it is not.

Sounds like, not the right teacher for you maybe. I personally also like to see a teacher who obviously loves the art and loves teaching. NY probably has hundreds of Taichi teachers. Just because someone is famous does not necessarily mean anything btw (well aside from they have an awesome promo team behind them).

• Like 2

Thanks for your thoughts, everyone. This instructor invited me to his san shou class right away when I met him, so it seems like he's just a lot younger maybe, and he's much more into MMA / tournament stuff than tai chi.

I feel this way about yoga classes too, that ultimately it's my responsibility to inspire myself, as I'm the one living in here. It's just an odd trend I've seen a lot of. I don't know if it's just a Chinese cultural thing or if it's a tai chi thing overall - I'm just so much more lively and passionate than these people, and it seems weird that tai chi philosophy would want to repress that vibrance. So I feel like I "don't get it" sometimes. I believe that we're meant to be immensely vibrant, playful and energetic beings, and so many of these tai chi masters seem like kids that have been told not to play while hanging out with their parents at a department store or something :o

It is worth to take in consideration that there is a lot of fake masters and there are real ones too , and also there are different personalities , different repressions and expressions plus cultural differences .

I find I learn best from teachers that suit my personality well and I that I can realte to and communicate easyly well - and of course providng they have excellent knowledge of subject too .

• Like 1

Okay so you had two teachers who seemed bored to you, what does that tell you?

Obviously you seek a teacher that is not bored. But why do you do that? Are maybe you bored in interacting with one and another or do you generally want more social interaction with your teacher?

And there are millions of other teachers if you think of change.

I would not mind him being bored, if he teaches what is right. Of course intention behind words is more important than words themselves, no doubt. This would then mean you want energy :) lots of exciting energy.

But why shall a teacher be excited? Teachers are generally neutral until they discover a potential talent in a person.

And if you like your practice, you will surely stick to it. Maybe it's a test. I had lots of them in my recent past, where people tested my spiritual stability so to speak and if I care for what they think of me. This was a brilliant learning and mirror for how already stable I am in my Self. Anyway, this topic is not about me...

In any case, ask yourself what do you want - no need to answer this here, just ask yourself.

EDIT: You have an inner guidance which should lead you to the right teacher. Trying only means your ego wants something and doesnt get it = failure. Drop it and see what comes "automatically" in your life. Maybe your Higher Perspective wants You to be Your Own Teacher... I dont know... I teach myself various things. Who can do it better than my Self?

Edited by 4bsolute

The way Gurdjieff used to teach was that as soon as someone mastered a task or a spiritual exercise he would change it so they have to master a different one, otherwise once the exercise becomes habitual and mechanical it just serves as yet another exercise which you do to send you to sleep. Which is probably exactly what Tai Chi has become for these so called masters, just another mechanical thing sending them to sleep rather than waking them up.

Exactly,...well said.

The practice is all in the heart. Otherwise, it is not.

I wouldn't say that at all. The physical practice of Tai Chi could lead to the Heart Center,...but few, IMO, have any idea about that. The Heart Center is the most difficult to uncover. The usual progression is physical, mental, and then heart. I've had discussions with a few who mastered the physical, like Master Koichi Tohei, who was quite advanced in the physical and mental centers, but not yet the heart.

My very liberal guess would be that less than .2% of all people on the planet have ever had a Heart Center experience.

Lao Tzu said, "To attain pure Tao you must understand and integrate within yourself the three main energies of the universe:

The first is the earth energy. Centered in the belly, itexpresses itself as sexuality. Those who cultivate and master the physical energy attain partial purity;

Second is the heaven energy. Centered in the mind, it expresses itself as [the wisdom beyond knowledge]. Those whose minds merge with the Universal Mind also attain partial purity.

Third is the harmonized energy. Centered in the heart, it expresses itself as spiritual insight. Those who develop spiritual insight also attain partial purity.

Only when you attain you achieve all three - mastery of physical energy, universal mindedness, and spiritual insight - and express them in a virturous integral life, can you attain pure Tao."

Sign in to follow this