cheya

Training the Energy Body: Books

Okay, I don't know exactly what the "subtle energy body" is. But here's what I'm interested in: learning to feel, activate, and balance first my internal energy system and then that of others. I'm not real interested in visualization techniques as I've found sensation-based techniques much more effective.

I've found a few books that address this in useful ways for me, and I'd like to know what books or media have helped others.

Here are three books that have particularly helped me.

Energy Work, by Robert Bruce.

Bruce's Tactile Imaging method was amazing in teaching me to mentally activate acupoints and reflexology areas. Bruce's tactile imaging uses sense of touch, rather than visualization, to stimulate the flow of vital energy throughout the body. You learn how to wake up energy centers and move vital energy throughout the body. Bruce's easy-to-follow illustrations and exercises encourage safe, rapid results. (Bruce used to have his Tactile Imaging tutorial online, titled "NEW energy work", and you may be able to find it on wayback if you don't want to buy the whole book.)

Juice: Radical Taiji Energetics, by Scott Meredith.

This book is a huge help in watching and moving the energy, finally offering a(n unusual!) framework that fits the way my practice has already been developing. It focuses on ways of paying attention to the energy, and what to look for, a different set of points to focus on (niwan, lingtai, dailing), and cultivating the energy paths. "Real taiji is about energy cultivation and deployment." He says it's about learning to feel and focus within yourself. "..the mechanism of true Taiji... functions to get your mind fully and pervasively interpenetrating your body exclusive of any blocking physical tension or muscularity so that spirit energy is connected seamlessly from feet to hands." We could say he trains you to feel the energy states and surges with in your tai ji practice with the goal of energy deployment in pushhands and beyond. Helped me connect even more with the energy coming up through my legs, and his descriptions of energy phenomena matched my own experience in many ways, which no other book has done.

Heavenly Streams: Meridian Theory in Nei Gong, by Damo Mitchell.

I've only just finished reading this through the very first time. Mitchell gives a series of training exercises to develop the ability to feel and evaluate your meridians, along with the elementary Daoist theory necessary to determine which meridians you need to work on. Mitchell uses a sensation-based technique combining breath and intent, first to observe the activity on the meridian and then later, to activate it. He embeds the meridian work in an excellent and useful overview of Daoist theory, combined with many exercises and illustrations designed to develop the foundation skills needed to succeed in the advanced work.

These three books are all practice-based. Don't know that you'd get much just from reading them, but they might inspire you to get started!

Edited by cheya
  • Like 5

1. "to mentally activate acupoints and reflexology areas" will make acupuncture and acupressure useless.....!?
2. All the things are given and come within the practice of Tai Ji. No other specialties are needed.
3. Nei Gong is the practice for internal organs, not merdians.

ChiDragon wrote " "to mentally activate acupoints and reflexology areas" will make acupuncture and acupressure useless.....!?"

Hey, CD, It's all about energy activation.

Who cares how we do it!

Who even cares what we call it!

It's way fun! Wanna play?

:-)

• Like 2

The Healing Archaeous Series audio series (mp3's) by Rawn Clark available for free at his site abardoncompanion.com. Unique Western elemental approach to learning and working with your mental and astral bodies.

I suck at visualization too. I can't even visualize a simple energy ball in my hands. I can only feel the ball.

I don't know if I should develop the visualization skill or simply forget about it.

I started with SSS kundalini book. It contains many excellent exercise to activate chakras. The "thin man" is very good.

The Secret of Golden Flower doesn't require visualization either.

"Opening the Energy Gates of Your Body" by B.K. Frantzis.

Any feedback on it?

It basically teaches you zhan zhuang. It also contains breathing exercise, taoist three swing and spine stretch.

It's a good book. The only beef I have is that it says "never breath below your pubic bone". What a misleading statement!

It basically teaches you zhan zhuang. It also contains breathing exercise, taoist three swing and spine stretch.

It's a good book...

Hi Eugene and Hydrogen,

Opening the Energy Gates was huge for me, but so long ago I tend to forget.

The first method is a dissolving method, looks like zhan zhuang, but lots of "doing" involved besides just holding the posture. Starting at the top of your head, you locate and "dissolve" seemingly endless points, working your way down through the body. I never did have the patience to get the dissolving part of this practice down. Probably should go back now that I can activate points...

The second part is the three swings, which were what did it for me. I did those most days for a couple of years. I remember my utter astonishment when I first felt the energy currents flowing up my legs. It was like "holy crap, this really DOES open the energy gates!" Back then I guess I thought the names of these things were kind of, well, fantasy descriptions designed to get you to buy the book/do the exercises. But not so. These exercises really do open the energy gates!

The last part is the spinal stretch, much potential, but I only got as far with that one as keeping my back supple. Which is actually a big deal...

The new edition has lots more material. And the DVD is a big help. Funny, I had both the first edition book and the tape on my shelf for nearly ten years before I let them start me on this journey!

Edited by cheya
  • Like 2

Okay, I don't know exactly what the "subtle energy body" is. But here's what I'm interested in: learning to feel, activate, and balance first my internal energy system and then that of others. I'm not real interested in visualization techniques as I've found sensation-based techniques much more effective.

I've found a few books that address this in useful ways for me, and I'd like to know what books or media have helped others.

Here are three books that have particularly helped me.

Energy Work, by Robert Bruce.

Juice: Radical Taiji Energetics, by Scott Meredith.

Heavenly Streams: Meridian Theory in Nei Gong, by Damo Mitchell.

These three books are all practice-based. Don't know that you'd get much just from reading them, but they might inspire you to get started!

Nice idea for a thread.

I love Robert Bruce's work.

Scott's book is very interesting. IMO it is NOT about taiji, it is about Daoist neigong, using a form of taiji to strengthen that neigong. This is what Zheng passed on and why his taiji form became the way it did.

My feeling is that you do not really need anything more than the above, and then time to explore and experiment. Why complicate things?

My addition:

Ralston's most accessible work, thank god for his Wife ;)

http://books.google.co.uk/books?id=PKMdETf0CeIC&printsec=frontcover&dq=zen+body&hl=en&sa=X&ei=2fWRUb7TDsXcOez1gagJ&ved=0CDQQ6AEwAA#v=onepage&q&f=false

Damien Mitchell. Sorry, not personally a fan of his published works. I have spoken with Damien (sorry I cannot call him 'Day-mo'), as well as a student of his, this was years ago, and he appears to be a very intelligent and astute chap. I'm sure the 'qigong' in this book is helpful, most of his stuff is in that sense. I am just not a fan of his presentation of things being something they are not. Most if not all of the meridian theory in this book is TCM, ie a fairly recent perspective way of looking at it. The theory I have read in this book is not congruent with Classical Chinese medicine nor Daoist thoughts on the subjects. This view is based on direct experience in lineages of both as well as reading and translating key classical texts regarding the information that exists on the channels both in Daoism and medicine. Yes I know he states in the book that TCM may find some of the theory 'different', but it is only by degree and the actual view of the channels is that of TCM. Please note, my point is not simply about 'information'. It is about a perspective that underpins the view and theory.

If you are finding the practical information helpful great, that is only a good thing. But I personally would take much of the presented information with a grain of salt as to its supposed ancient origins. That said, it seems that even within China these lines are becoming more and more blurred. As TCM is the state sponsored perspective of Chinese medicine, it IS Chinese medicine as far as the Chinese government is concerned. It seems that more and more this view of meridian theory is being adopted, even amongst those teaching "Daoist arts" especially publically.

As I said practically speaking I'm sure the book has a great many exercises that truly help with learning to feel aspects of the energy body. I personally, would simply ignore most of the actual 'theory' though, certainly as pertaining it to allegedly being 'Ancient Daoist'. I'm not trying to be antagonistic, just trying to pass on comments from what I see based on my experience. Flame me if you want :(

For a bit of balance, some of the practical side :D

Damien's wuxing gong

[Edit: I lament often when discussing this topic with people, that there is no book available that truly reflects the view of Classical Chinese channel theory as pertaining to genuine Classical medicine or Daoist practice. I truly wish there was.You get fragments but that is all. Actually sometimes books on Feng Shui (the actual thing, not the 'pop' versions) are better.]

Edited by snowmonki
  • Like 3

"the code [theory] is more what you'd call "guidelines" than actual rules"

Sometimes Pirate logic makes sense :)
http://m.guardian.co.uk/science/life-and-physics/2011/sep/04/1

Great picture too!

"one recurring theme amongst some commenters is a perception that fundamental physics is too theory-led, that we are obsessed with proving beautiful, reductionist theories and really we should just explore. And that we spend too much time arguing about untestable things."

There is lifa, lianfa, and yongfa, these are theory, practice, and application. Or as I usually say 'why', 'what' and 'how'.

I wanted to clarify that my point in my previous post is not about a 'better' or 'worse' or 'incorrect' or 'correct' theory. The following is also simply a commentary on a wider issue relating to E-B work.

The thing about the "energy-body" or "E-B", is that many times people start with 'theory' and then proceed into 'what' and 'how' from there. Unforunately the "E-B" is highly plastic in nature and has a great many 'layers' that are woven together.

The reason we have so many theories on it's nature today, is simply because of that. If you take expectations in, you will usually find what you are expecting. It becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy. Not always, but usually. So how do you start without expectations? :( That is a key IMHO.

I have also and continue to see practitioners of Chinese medicine or qigong shape their experiences to fit the theories as they understand them. And I did this too years ago, when I was taught in such a way that ultimately encouraged that process.

The problem is, instead of engaging with what is actually there, ie the 'person' in front of you (be that a patient, or yourself), you simply see the theories and project them instead. It is a conundrum and not one easy solved.

Take a look at 'Body of Light';
http://books.google.co.uk/books?id=5CEUOQAACAAJ&dq=body+of+light+book&hl=en&sa=X&ei=AhuSUe7YGsPiOpbngJgO&ved=0CFAQ6AEwBA

For a review and comparison of several 'maps' of the "E-B". There are problems and mis-representations in this book too, it isn't perfect nor complete. But it is a good exploration of the similarities and differences amongst the views of the E-B held by different traditions.

I mention this because today many 'institutions' within China are catering to a tourist interest in Chinese cultural arts. As such the teaching more often than not leans towards the expectations of those paying to visit. Which tends to be lots of theory, and information.

Sometimes it is better, even preferable to start simply and move from the broad to the specific over time.

What can you feel, of you?

What is feeling or sensation?

Are you TRYING to feel something in particular?

Will this affect what you listen to and what you ignore?

Do you feel what you expected? Or what you were told to feel?

To quote Roger Jahnke "how can 1 of a 1,000 truths be more true".

I think Robert Bruce's method is one of the 'cleanest' to work with, not the theories, I mean the method of engaging with the E-B and beginning to work with it. It is also close to how I have been taught in a couple of lineages.

Best,

edit: I also recommend reading Hundun's post;

http://thetaobums.com/topic/22213-connecting-with-qi-no-system-required/?hl=hundun#entry316246

Edited by snowmonki
  • Like 1

The new edition has lots more material. And the DVD is a big help. Funny, I had both the first edition book and the tape on my shelf for nearly ten years before I let them start me on this journey!

Which DVD are you talking about? I have found 2CD's audio. Is it really worthwhile to have this audio? For me personally the video would be more helpful. I think to do it as it helps to work with tensions and it is very huge problem for me. Especially in upper part of the body. There are few videos on the tube actually but only some excerpts. Thanks.

It no longer appears on the energyarts.com website. It used to be part of the 'archive' collection. You could try e-mailing them and asking if they have any copies.

[edit: WOW!

http://www.amazon.com/Chi-Gung-Opening-Energy-Gates/dp/B002C22CKA/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1368537760&sr=8-5&keywords=energy+gates+dvd

didn't know it was going for so much! Maybe I'll sell my copy :D ]

It is old, low production quality and so on. I don't think it was ever shot as a big market seller, same with most of the rest of the old dvds on his qigong. From memory, all the information presented is in the book. The version of cloud hands Bruce demo's is in fact not the version of cloud hands from the book but a later 'more advanced' version (I think his student demos the one you start with).

There are many great free resources regarding this practice now, with senior students demoing the set on youtube etc. If it is simply seeing the exercises done that you want. Dan Kleiman even has posts out and about on his approach to getting the most from the book.

Bar that, years ago someone had uploaded the whole EG dvd to a videoplayer site. I think it was Russian? :huh:

Hope this helps.

Edited by snowmonki