• Please log in to reply
39 replies to this topic

#33 ChiDragon

ChiDragon

無為道人

• Banned
  • Pip
  • 7466 posts
  • Interests:A Semi-Taoist, understand Chinese fluently, who practiced Tai Chi and Chi Kung with noticeable significant results. Especially, interested in acupressure and had performed on myself and wife to cure minor body pains. Study the true meanings of the Tao Te Ching by doing its translation into English.

Interested in finding and demystify ancient ambiguous ineffable concepts in correlation with modern scientific knowledge.

Posted 05 June 2013 - 03:01 PM

Since we are on the topic, if you can provide a quotation or direct me to a written source that supports your contention, I would be most happy to go and take a look, and even to humbly stand corrected.

your given link

亦作“发语辞”。也称“句首语词”、“发语助词”、“发语助字”、“发声”、“语端辞”、“发端字”、“发语之端”、“发言之端”、“发词(辞)”等。助词的一种。多指用于句首的助词。

首语气词的一种亦称发端词”、“发声”。用于句首,表示发议论或叙事的开始,以引起听者或读者注意,而无实际含义的词。主要有“夫”、“盖”等。如 《左传·庄公十年》: “夫大国难测也。”古代语言学家则用以泛指“句首语气词”。如刘灿《支雅》: “发词:夫、盖、繄、惟、诞、已、思、且。”有些语法学者把这类词归入连词。

Walker....
Would you like to give a rough translation of these two quotes....??? May be we can iron out some of the misunderstands. It is optional of course.

靜觀其變 以靜制動
Beware of the unexpected silently
Handle adversity with calmness

Posted Image

#34 Walker

Walker

Dao Bum

• The Dao Bums
  • Pip
  • 344 posts
  • Interests:捣浆糊

Posted 05 June 2013 - 07:21 PM

Haha, are you kidding? Let's keep this on topic. A 端语辞 is a 发语词, it goes at the beginning of a sentence, in order to 发端. No need to grasp at straws here, homie.

氣也者,虛而待物者也。唯道集虛,虛者,心齋也。

#35 ChiDragon

ChiDragon

無為道人

• Banned
  • Pip
  • 7466 posts
  • Interests:A Semi-Taoist, understand Chinese fluently, who practiced Tai Chi and Chi Kung with noticeable significant results. Especially, interested in acupressure and had performed on myself and wife to cure minor body pains. Study the true meanings of the Tao Te Ching by doing its translation into English.

Interested in finding and demystify ancient ambiguous ineffable concepts in correlation with modern scientific knowledge.

Posted 05 June 2013 - 11:24 PM

Haha, are you kidding? Let's keep this on topic. A 端语辞 is a 发语词, it goes at the beginning of a sentence, in order to 发端. No need to grasp at straws here, homie.

I knew there was something missing in thinking on your part.

亦作“发语辞”也称“句首语词”、“发语助词”、“发语助字”、“发声”、“语端辞”、“发端字”、“发语之端”、“发言之端”、“发词(辞)”等。助词的一种。多指用于句首的助词。

You see the green characters "也称", it means "also called". Thus all the terms followed in red are the synonyms for “发语辞”

Edited by ChiDragon, 05 June 2013 - 11:25 PM.

靜觀其變 以靜制動

Posted Image

#36 Walker

Walker

Dao Bum

• The Dao Bums
  • Pip
  • 344 posts
  • Interests:捣浆糊

Posted 06 June 2013 - 06:27 PM

Exactly. And therefore “语端辞,” just like "发语辞," go at the beginning of the sentence, not at either end, as you originally argued.

In striving to prove me wrong you seem to have forgotten what your original points even are. Please, leave the hair-splitting alone. Stop. It is over.

氣也者,虛而待物者也。唯道集虛,虛者,心齋也。

#37 ChiDragon

ChiDragon

無為道人

• Banned
  • Pip
  • 7466 posts

Posted 06 June 2013 - 10:00 PM

又語已辭。【論語】如斯夫。

Isn't this one of the examples you gave with 夫 at the end.....???

靜觀其變 以靜制動

Posted Image

#38 Mig

Mig

Dao Bum

• The Dao Bums
  • Pip
  • 137 posts

Posted 04 January 2017 - 12:39 AM

I am wondering the way you translate:

Ch 2

夫唯弗居

Ch 3

使夫1知者不敢為也

夫 : Originally read: "天"

Or how do you explain the position of "fu" in those instances from a grammatical perspective.

Thanks,

#39 awaken

awaken

Dao Bum

• The Dao Bums
  • Pip
  • 882 posts
  • Interests:Dan dao, Chinese Kung fu, Chinese medicine

丹道,武術,中醫

Welcome to my space
    http://www.thedaobums.com/forum/487-awaken/

Posted 04 January 2017 - 04:26 AM

It is a expletive
Welcome to read my posts and practice with me on line

http://www.thedaobum...rum/487-awaken/

The dao bums

This is my qq group

Welcome to join me

#40 Mig

Mig

Dao Bum

• The Dao Bums
  • Pip
  • 137 posts

Posted 05 January 2017 - 01:27 PM

It is a expletive

How do you explain expletive in Chinese? Or how it is said in the spoken language to explain fu? Is it in all DDJ having the same meaning?

Thanks

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users