RiverSnake

Tarot as a Magical Tool?

In the present i have only used the Tarot for divination and meditation. However, i have found some books online that basically say that the 78 card tarot deck can be used for Magic and is an entire complete system of magic in itself?

Anyone have experience with using the Tarot outside of simple divination?

My 2 cents, Peace

Any well formed symbol system is useful for both passive uses, like divination, in which it reflects a train of events and for active purposes like magic, where it can be used to influence a train of events. The Tarot is excellent as a magical system, the average "magician" can hardly dream of all that is concealed in Western Geomancy as a form of magic, the same goes for Yi Jing, Mah Jong, and many other systems like that. I have experience with several of them,some for decades. They are worth the time and effort investigating.

• Like 5

Thanks for the insights Zhongyong. I definitely feel there is a lot worth investigating there as well and look forward to learning more. :)

My 2 cents, Peace

Edited by OldGreen

I know very little about this topic, but I thought I'd share something - I saw a video on YouTube of a guy explaining different ways to program the subconscious. He went through some stuff I'd heard many times before (visualisation, affirmation, etc) but then he mentioned using the Tarot to do this. He gave a very simple technique: Basically, choose a Tarot card that symbolically represents the qualities you want to have, meditate on it, and imagine yourself inside the card/picture yourself as the character on the card. He gave the example of using the The Emperor card to bring out confidence, authority, and so on. I tried this and it did seem to have an effect, but I haven't gone much further into it...

I know very little about this topic, but I thought I'd share something - I saw a video on YouTube of a guy explaining different ways to program the subconscious. He went through some stuff I'd heard many times before (visualisation, affirmation, etc) but then he mentioned using the Tarot to do this. He gave a very simple technique: Basically, choose a Tarot card that symbolically represents the qualities you want to have, meditate on it, and imagine yourself inside the card/picture yourself as the character on the card. He gave the example of using the The Emperor card to bring out confidence, authority, and so on. I tried this and it did seem to have an effect, but I haven't gone much further into it...

Although i am just starting to understand the Western Tradition it seems like a lot of the Inner Work they do is with visualization. The Path cards in combination with the Tree are often used in unison with this visualization (transplanting ones consciousness elsewhere) in order to bring about internal changes in the practitioner, i think this is what they usually call path-working. But i am still exploring this stuff and the methodology behind it.

My 2 cents, Peace

Edited by OldGreen
  • Like 1

Thanks for the insights Friend. Really interesting stuff. What you say reminds me of this quote by Dion Fortune:

"Each Symbol upon the Tree represents a cosmic force or factor. When the mind concentrates upon it, it comes into touch with that force; in other words, a surface channel, a channel in consciousness, has been made between he conscious mind of the individual and a particular factor in the world-soul, and through this channel the waters of the ocean pour into the lagoon. The Aspirant who uses the Tree as his meditation symbol establishes point by point the union between his soul and the world-soul. This results in a tremendous access of energy to the individual soul; it is this which endows it with magical powers." Mystical Kabbalah by Dion Fortune

My 2 cents, Peace

• Like 2

Although i am just starting to understand the Western Tradition it seems like a lot of the Inner Work they do is with visualization. The Path cards in combination with the Tree are often used in unison with this visualization (transplanting ones consciousness elsewhere) in order to bring about internal changes in the practitioner, i think this is what they usually call path-working. But i am still exploring this stuff and the methodology behind it.

My 2 cents, Peace

Are there any dangers inherent in trying out these techniques that you know of? The guy in the video kind of portrayed it in a way that suggests it's similar to those other techniques.

My understanding is that we should not use are personal judgment on what Path or Sphere to work with as we tend to be biased. Better let the Tarot deck decide what area to work with.

"Its danger is that people who are badly unbalanced will be naturally attracted to those parts where they already have an overplus of force, thus causing more unbalance in themselves. It is a powerful tool for good, but not a thing to be idly played with." Gareth Knight

My 2 cents, Peace

Edited by OldGreen
  • Like 3

"Its danger is that people who are badly unbalanced will be naturally attracted to those parts where they already have an overplus of force, thus causing more unbalance in themselves. It is a powerful tool for good, but not a thing to be idly played with." Garett Knight

My 2 cents, Peace

That quote can be used for many practices that come up here.

• Like 2

Guest pix58

Just what is your aim?

Know that the more you get to know the more you realise just how much you don't know!!

Be careful with your intentions as regardless, while there is white there is black, not all is always as it seems!.

Post relocated from http://thetaobums.com/topic/27901-soul-mirrors-and-the-tarot/:

Browsing in a bookstore I stumbled upon this:

http://www.amazon.com/Divine-Arcana-Aurum-Solis-Initiation/dp/0738720860

It's got some appalling reviews but I liked the look of it combining meditations with the Tarot at specific planetary hours with Orphic Hymns. Even though much of the material can be found in other sources the combinations and general thrust looked utilitarian.

For the price of a takeaway and carry out (or considerably less through Market Places Sellers) I'm quite prepared to ignore the (suspect?) reviews.

Thanks for the link Rex. I can't say I know much about the OAS. However, what I am finding is that there is tremendous things way beyond divination that can be done with the Tarot. I am currently reading Tarot and Magick by Tony Willis, which I can say that so far I highly recommend it, he comes of as an old school adept from an earlier period.

According to what I have read the Tarot represents an entire system of ritualistic magic. Supposedly It can be used High Magick and Low Magick along with divination and I saw one author even claim that It can be used as a tool for connecting with ones HGA. I am just starting to understand its principles.

These are some of the books I have found on the topic which seem to have some juice behind them and have a similar focus to the link you posted. I have only started reading the one by Tony Willis, the rest I can only recommend by Intuition:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0738709808/ref=ox_sc_sfl_title_5?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0738708712/ref=ox_sc_sfl_title_9?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

http://www.amazon.com/Magick-Tarot-Manipulate-Unseen-Universe/dp/0850306256/ref=sr_1_8?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1366041744&sr=1-8&keywords=Magick+and+the+Tarot

Edited by OldGreen

Basically you choose a signifier card for yourself (or the other person if you want to get all fancy about things), and you place that upon your altar. Then you take the card, start with major arcana for the first few years, and you place that card of what you want to bring about (say the magician card) overtop and perpendicular of your first card. Now they are forming an equilateral cross. If you want to get all fancy about things you can setup your temple with things which represent that card. Then you set a candle or two going on the project, stating clearly and explicitly what you want out of it. You can also of course call upon a specific Deity or angel or whatever to help you with this. Also perhaps a specific incense if you are into the correspondence thing.

Leave the cards on the altar for a few days, or a week. I don't recommend longer than a week as it can bring imbalance. If you come up with the crazy idea of doing the entire major arcana, one after another, one week each... be prepared for a very interesting and uhm enlightening couple of years. Also keep in mind that each card has a positive and negative aspect. So state your intentions clearly, but also know that sometimes what we may see as negative comes about to help us along our path.

• Like 3

Yep. Don't decide to use the tower card to clear stuff out of yourself and your way faster, bad idea. Hey I was 19 at the time LOL. It worked for the better in the long run though heh.

:P

Basically you choose a signifier card for yourself (or the other person if you want to get all fancy about things), and you place that upon your altar. Then you take the card, start with major arcana for the first few years, and you place that card of what you want to bring about (say the magician card) overtop and perpendicular of your first card. Now they are forming an equilateral cross. If you want to get all fancy about things you can setup your temple with things which represent that card. Then you set a candle or two going on the project, stating clearly and explicitly what you want out of it. You can also of course call upon a specific Deity or angel or whatever to help you with this. Also perhaps a specific incense if you are into the correspondence thing.

Leave the cards on the altar for a few days, or a week. I don't recommend longer than a week as it can bring imbalance. If you come up with the crazy idea of doing the entire major arcana, one after another, one week each... be prepared for a very interesting and uhm enlightening couple of years. Also keep in mind that each card has a positive and negative aspect. So state your intentions clearly, but also know that sometimes what we may see as negative comes about to help us along our path.

Thanks for the layout of your methodology. It's interesting and simple (IME simple is powerful).

You mentioned "setting a candle or two", could you elaborate on this? I have noticed there is an entire genre of magic people refer to as "candle work"?

Also I have noted that some authors emphasize working these kind of stuff astrally rather than physically. Do you happen to have any experience or opinions on that?

My 2 cents, Peace

Edited by OldGreen

Sure, physical works 10x stronger and faster than astral. Or you can combine both.

I have a slight book bias in that I have yet to read a magical book that I find decent, aside from Agrippa of course ;).

Candles, light one for your Deity, light the other for whichever spirit is helping you out with this.

• Like 2

You're welcome! Thanks for the references the second one in particular was very similar. The Tarot is widely praised for its subtlety and depth and I think it is a good option for people who are uncomfortable with grimoires.

In Magic and the Western Mind (previous title A History of White Magic) Gareth Knight comments how the Tarot can be incorporated into a system of personal integration:

"In its full application the standard symbolism of the Qabalah, the Tarot, Astrological Signs, and of the natural world, such as the Seasons of the Year, may be used to develop a deep, intricate and beautiful system of personal integration and conscious co-operation with inner dynamics, be they psychological or religious".

References like the ones already mentioned are good pointers to assist in this.

Edit: typos in the quote

Thanks for the link Rex. I can't say I know much about the OAS. However, what I am finding is that there is tremendous things way beyond divination that can be done with the Tarot. I am currently reading Tarot and Magick by Tony Willis, which I can say that so far I highly recommend it, he comes of as an old school adept from an earlier period.

According to what I have read the Tarot represents an entire system of ritualistic magic. Supposedly It can be used High Magick and Low Magick along with divination and I saw one author even claim that It can be used as a tool for connecting with ones HGA. I am just starting to understand its principles.

These are some of the books I have found on the topic which seem to have some juice behind them and have a similar focus to the link you posted. I have only started reading the one by Tony Willis, the rest I can only recommend by Intuition:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0738709808/ref=ox_sc_sfl_title_5?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0738708712/ref=ox_sc_sfl_title_9?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

http://www.amazon.com/Magick-Tarot-Manipulate-Unseen-Universe/dp/0850306256/ref=sr_1_8?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1366041744&sr=1-8&keywords=Magick+and+the+Tarot

Edited by rex
  • Like 1

Got bit of a Tarot bug at the moment. Much like the synthesising character of the Magical Calendar (http://www.amazon.com/The-Magical-Calendar-Seventeenth-Century-Renaissance/dp/093399933X) the Tarocchi of Mantegna is said to synthesise Platonic, Neoplatonic and Hermetic philosophy. Here's a piece by Adam McLean:

http://www.levity.com/alchemy/mantegna.html

• Like 1

The Tarot deck is much more than most people affirm it as.
Yes, you can use it for all manner of things.
One is to use the cards as astral portals. If you're somewhat versed at astral projection, having placed a tarot card of interest out before your practice, you can enter the card as a portal to specific vibrational dimensions and/or kingdoms.

Another point many people don't consider is the personal (non-magickal) work with the Tarot deck. You usually put your mind in a non-magickal mindset. (I know, sounds odd, but hear this through).
Reject all influences and spiritual forces during this session. Then, conduct the tarot reading with the understanding that no spiritual forces will be at work. However, when you read it, you will yet find significance in the reading. This is from the boarder of consciousness. The action between your subconscious and conscious mind will decipher the reading in accordance with your physical understanding, giving you a clue into your conscious mind, what it thinks about your situation, and what the mind itself considers to be a proper conclusion of the reading.

Your imagination is really the limit. I recently set a particular tarot card with a rolled cigaretted at my recently departed friends urn. In this case, I used it as a significant reminder of who he was in this life as well as a blessing of power into the next world.

• Like 1

The Tarot deck is much more than most people affirm it as.

Yes, you can use it for all manner of things.

One is to use the cards as astral portals. If you're somewhat versed at astral projection, having placed a tarot card of interest out before your practice, you can enter the card as a portal to specific vibrational dimensions and/or kingdoms.

Another point many people don't consider is the personal (non-magickal) work with the Tarot deck. You usually put your mind in a non-magickal mindset. (I know, sounds odd, but hear this through).

Reject all influences and spiritual forces during this session. Then, conduct the tarot reading with the understanding that no spiritual forces will be at work. However, when you read it, you will yet find significance in the reading. This is from the boarder of consciousness. The action between your subconscious and conscious mind will decipher the reading in accordance with your physical understanding, giving you a clue into your conscious mind, what it thinks about your situation, and what the mind itself considers to be a proper conclusion of the reading.

Your imagination is really the limit. I recently set a particular tarot card with a rolled cigaretted at my recently departed friends urn. In this case, I used it as a significant reminder of who he was in this life as well as a blessing of power into the next world.

Thanks for the insights DK. I don't do astral projection, but using cards as doorways was something I intuitively came to when practicing visionary work/trance. It's cool to have someone confirm it. Could you elaborate on the non-magical uses, I don't really feel like I understand the distinction? Magic in my understanding is simply action powered by focused "intention".

My 2 cents, Peace

Edited by OldGreen
  • Like 1

Well, under your definition, I would guess it would still be considered magick. However, it would be devoid of any supernatural force. You would be using your mind itself, and it's attempt to make connections between the symbols and your current situation. This is also a good practice because you become aware of how your mind itself works through the cards vs. supernatural influences. In this, it becomes much easier to determine whether a thought of influence was your own or an actual intuition from an outside source when performing other magickal operations. So by getting to know your mind and how it answers, it becomes less confusing when trying to conduct a magickal operation. You know exactly where the information is coming from - be it from an outside source or your mind's internal workings. At least, this is what I've found :)

• Like 1

I had a tarot reading unlike any I have ever experienced, and it seemed their were definitely spirits involved as the reader got possessed and it was in fact the spirits the whole time doing the reading.....The cards were read more precisely and personally than I thought possible, there was no symbolic psychological interpretation they were simply prompting for the spirit to provide guidance.

• Like 1

I had a tarot reading unlike any I have ever experienced, and it seemed their were definitely spirits involved as the reader got possessed and it was in fact the spirits the whole time doing the reading.....The cards were read more precisely and personally than I thought possible, there was no symbolic psychological interpretation they were simply prompting for the spirit to provide guidance.

Interesting stuff, what do you mean by symbolic-psychological interpretation versus what other way? It sounds like the way they read it is good ideal to strive for. Could you elaborate?

My 2 cents, Peace