Inspired by Eknath Easwaran's books, I'm going to start practicing with a mantra. Something to repeat whenever possible.

I don't like the idea of repeating 'Jesus' or 'Rama' or even 'Om Mani Padme Hum', simply because these mantras don't have a universal appeal to me. Since I'm going to be repeating this mantra quite a bit (possibly years, or the rest of my life?) I'm giving this some serious thought. What appeals to me most is 'om'.

Does anyone have any suggestions or thoughts about choosing mantras?

Also, is there any difference between the pronunciation of 'Om' and 'Aum'? David Frawley's Bija Mantras book makes it seem like there is, though most people on the internet say it's just a transcription difference.

Thanks.

I feel that Eknath Easwaran & David Frawley are fine sources/resources, I'm sure they (or their written materials) will give you correct information about pronunciations.

Most people on what is often the "wild, wild, west" internet don't know most of the details, and I don't claim to either.

Good fortune to you

Inspired by Eknath Easwaran's books, I'm going to start practicing with a mantra. Something to repeat whenever possible.

I don't like the idea of repeating 'Jesus' or 'Rama' or even 'Om Mani Padme Hum', simply because these mantras don't have a universal appeal to me. Since I'm going to be repeating this mantra quite a bit (possibly years, or the rest of my life?) I'm giving this some serious thought. What appeals to me most is 'om'.

Also, is there any difference between the pronunciation of 'Om' and 'Aum'? David Frawley's Bija Mantras book makes it seem like there is, though most people on the internet say it's just a transcription difference.

Thanks.

Aum is more representative of the sound...combination of "aa""oo" and "ma". To understand sanskrit pronunciation it is important to learn how to pronounce the phonemes (alphabets)

• Like 1

I'm late to this post, having just joined the community, and broken the 5 postings barrier, but this caught my eye.

Now, take this with a grain of salt and fwiw:

I was told, and I can see the reasoning to a degree, that to chant om or aum (it really is more like aaoomm but the aaoo much more subtle, definitely not om as in home) is to meditate on nirguna brahman, the unmanifest brahman without attributes. It's a purely Advaita practice. I was further told that in dedicating oneself to this, it can "uproot" (his word) one's entire balance and thinking. Generally such an advanced technique, as well as using bīja mantras, are given by a guru after long study with the guru, and after dīksha, initiation.

Personally I do nāma japa, chanting of a name of God, in my case... Om namo Nārāyanāya. I also tried other nama mantras: Om Sri Krishnāya namaha, Om namo Bhagavate Vāsudevāya, and others. But they didn't resonate with me as Om namo Nārāyanāya does. Yes, om is part of the mantra, but all mantras and vedic chants begin with it. It's the name of God, Nārāyana, that I'm focusing on, not om as the unmanifest brahman. But as with anything, one is free to do as one feels works, and doesn't cause anything negative. There's an exception to every rule. ;)

Edited by Jainarayan
  • Like 2

I just do "O" from different energy center. Of course it may sound different when the "O" from LDT or from UDT.

1. LDT

2. MDT

3. UDT

4. travel from LDT->MDT->UDT

5. LDT/MDT/UDT same time.

I'm working on get sound come form my feet now. I don't know if it's possible. But it's fun to try.

The pronouciation is not the key factor. The vibration of the different chakras is.

I'm late to this post, having just joined the community, and broken the 5 postings barrier, but this caught my eye.

Now, take this with a grain of salt and fwiw:

I was told, and I can see the reasoning to a degree, that to chant om or aum (it really is more like aaoomm but the aaoo much more subtle, definitely not om as in home) is to meditate on nirguna brahman, the unmanifest brahman without attributes. It's a purely Advaita practice. I was further told that in dedicating oneself to this, it can "uproot" (his word) one's entire balance and thinking. Generally such an advanced technique, as well as using bīja mantras, are given by a guru after long study with the guru, and after dīksha, initiation.

Personally I do nāma japa, chanting of a name of God, in my case... Om namo Nārāyanāya. I also tried other nama mantras: Om Sri Krishnāya namaha, Om namo Bhagavate Vāsudevāya, and others. But they didn't resonate with me as Om namo Nārāyanāya does. Yes, om is part of the mantra, but all mantras and vedic chants begin with it. It's the name of God, Nārāyana, that I'm focusing on, not om as the unmanifest brahman. But as with anything, one is free to do as one feels works, and doesn't cause anything negative. There's an exception to every rule. ;)

Thanks for the advice. Does this apply to the Mahamrityunjaya Mantra and Gayatri Mantras as well? Are these unsuitable to someone without initiation/a guru?

I would choose a mantra that can be repeated all the time, even in the midst of activity and it seems to me that OM is

more suited for contemplative sittings rather than walking or working in the fields.

I would choose a mantra that can be repeated all the time, even in the midst of activity and it seems to me that OM is

more suited for contemplative sittings rather than walking or working in the fields.

Yes, don't chant OM while driving. I did, and cars weren't cars, time wasn't time, and I found myself from the 14ave exit on the Belt Pkwy in Brooklyn and over the Verrazano Bridge to Staten Island in less than 2 minutes. Not scary, but different, lol

Chanting Amitabha is good for daily activities, or even "Stay Awake" helps too. :D

• Like 3

Thanks for the advice. Does this apply to the Mahamrityunjaya Mantra and Gayatri Mantras as well? Are these unsuitable to someone without initiation/a guru?

No, those can be recited by anyone, and should be. I said the Mahamrityunjaya Mantra over my Roman Catholic mother-in-law's casket. I say them once or twice a day with morning and/or evening prayers, and I recite (chant or sing) along with recordings I play on my iPod while driving. They can be recited with or without a mālā, actually any mantra can. They can be recited once as a prayer or as many times as you like. A mālā and the 108 repetitions are not required for the uninitiated. You can do it without harm or offense, but it's required only after initiation. Btw, it's said to be very auspicious to recite the Gayatri mantra at the junctions of the day... dawn, noon, dusk.

• Like 2

Yes, indeed. This is one of the reasons we chant nāma japa, a name of a deity because the name of the deity is non-different from the deity him/herself.

Speaking of working in the fields, it reminds me of a cute (to me) story about the simplicity and effect of nāma japa...

Narada (a celestial sage) and Lord Vishnu were talking one day. Narada was boasting that he was the greatest devotee of Vishnu. Vishnu begged to differ. The Lord said "No, I think that farmer working in the fields is a greater devotee than you". Narada said "Oh Lord, how can that be? The farmer says your name only three times a day, when I say it all the time". The Lord said, yes it's true he only calls my name thrice, but it is in the midst of his hard work". Narada was not convinced. So the Lord, with a mischievous smile, said "Here, take this pot of oil which you can see is filled to the brim. Walk around the countryside, up and down the hills, and do not spill a drop". Narada agreed, because he always did as the Lord asked. So after a time Narada returned to Lord Vishnu, with the pot of oil intact. Lord Vishnu asked (again with that mischievous smile He is famous for) "Now, Narada, how many times did you think of Me or chant My name while performing this task I gave you?" Narada said "Oh Lord, how could I do that when I had to concentrate on not spilling the oil?" The Lord said "You see Narada? You did not stop once to say My name, yet this poor farmer, in the midst of his hard toil, says My name three times a day!"

• Like 1

I sang "Hallelujah" in an American metal hospital, the nurse was nice to me.

I prayed "Baba nam Kevalam" at Indian restaurant.

I did "Queen save me" in a Canadian cell.

I shouted out "Allahu akar" while my muslim friend piloting the airplane. :)

Does anyone know how many times one should repeat the mantra "OM"? I have been chanting it 8 times, because 8 represents infinity. I would imagine that multiplying 8x8 = 64 times would be quite powerful. Thoughts?

Does anyone know how many times one should repeat the mantra "OM"? I have been chanting it 8 times, because 8 represents infinity. I would imagine that multiplying 8x8 = 64 times would be quite powerful. Thoughts?

Traditionally the recommended minimum is 108 times, or one complete round if you use a mala (most malas have 108 beads). 

In my practice, which incorporates mantra chanting, i would do a minimum of 10 rounds (approx 1080 times) per mantra. 

Anyway there's no need to get too caught up with the numbers. Whats more essential is the heart or intention one brings to the chant, during the chant, and also the post-chanting integration back into daily activities. 

• Like 2

Someone mentioned 108. Traditionally one can do 11, 28 or 108 or multiples of 108 after that.

• Like 1

This is wonderful, thank you. I have been chanting OM post-meditation and it has been powerful!

My whole body vibrates and there is a tremendous peace that ensues. I will start to do more, but wow 108?

That's amazing, I imagine that would be quite a long practice :)

The experience of profound bliss, peace and stillness continues with this mantra. I also feel a tremendous amount of prana flow through the body after the practice. I want to continue practicing this mantra slowly but steadily. Does anyone have any general outline on best practices, before/after meditation, etc...I understand this topic is very nuanced, and can go in many directions but would just like a general outlines of dos/dont's, best practices. Thank you...as a strange coincidence, or not, the acronym for my own name is actually OM. Imagine that ?

• Like 1

The experience of profound bliss, peace and stillness continues with this mantra. I also feel a tremendous amount of prana flow through the body after the practice. I want to continue practicing this mantra slowly but steadily. Does anyone have any general outline on best practices, before/after meditation, etc...I understand this topic is very nuanced, and can go in many directions but would just like a general outlines of dos/dont's, best practices. Thank you...as a strange coincidence, or not, the acronym for my own name is actually OM. Imagine that ?

Do what feels right. Don't get addicted to the blissful feeling :)

Om is the source of life energy - Pranav. Hearing it's reverberation in the inner ear means you are relaxed enough to let the noise of the mind and body not drown this ever present reverberation. Being life itself, Om is aural representation of the true self - atman. Being the sound of atman it is nothing but the Brahman itself.

• Like 2

Juliank,  As you probably know Karma yoga is always good as part of what we do as regular guys or gals and as part of a spiritual foundation.... one may blast off or bliss out (so to speak) with certain forms of yoga and mantra but with out a guru's guidance such a blast may be premature and uncontrolled.  (as implied by some posters here)  I'd say Pure devotion of spiritual emotion is the most powerful fuel but needs some balance with hard won wisdom, knowledge and mature being-ness, that various spiritual orders, schools and related teachers help with!

• Like 1

Thank you! Yes, I could see this becoming addicting haha, but honestly the feeling I am getting from chanting this mantra is the same feeling I got when I first started practicing meditation, the sense that something very important had just entered my life.

Yesterday, I chanted some more, and the nervous system just feels incredibly strong after, peaceful, thoughts dissolve, and more presence emerges as a result. I know this may sound silly, but I started laughing deep from my belly after a long session, it was like 'soul laughter', a recognition of the sublime inside me. Some tears ran down from my cheeks, because it was mixed with an emergent sense that the only response to this feeling is utter humility. Grace be to the lord, my heart sings!

I've been looking for a teacher for a while 3bob and as of yet, none has arrived, so I continue the practice as best I can with my own resources and intuition. I do my best to practice seva, it's not always easy, but I make the attempts with the professional work that I do, which I consider to be karma yoga. 

My original question was asked to circumvent any issues that may arise, since I know this mantra can actually be incredibly powerful and may even overload the system if improperly used. Right now it is blissful, but very grounding as well, I can perform the tasks in my daily life with no sense of spaciness. This I feel, is incredibly important for my spiritual practice. I have no interest in becoming a bliss junkie, I recognize this because the tendency from my youth to chase highs is definitely there. 

It's funny because I remember years back, when I tried to listen to "OM" mantra chanting and I found it incredibly jarring, and very far from any holy or beautiful sound, it just sounded very guttural and strange. Now, it's the best sound in the world...

• Like 1

Ok and good for you !  We all need some "Eureka" type inspiration's considering there are also concerns and karmas of daily life to deal with which can wear us down at times.  (from a human stand point)

thanks for posting, see you around, Bob

• Like 1