#33 Aetherous

Aetherous

only a student

• The Dao Bums
  • Pip
  • 9058 posts
  • Interests:bai hao oolong

Posted 12 August 2013 - 03:00 PM

I can highly recommend this recipe for those baking a sandwich bread with 100% whole wheat. This is normally a challenge because it will come out dense due to the weight of the grain. With this recipe, it actually rose with nice air pockets, and came out fluffy and sweet...just perfectly done! Spread some organic valley pasture butter on top...yes yes ya'll and we don't stop.

edit: also this professional baker's reference seems very scientific, which is awesome.

Edited by turtle shell, 12 August 2013 - 03:31 PM.

• Apech and rene said thanks for this
Tara's Triple Excellence Buddhist program

"Motivation is the key; discipline is the key; teamwork is the key" = basic training pushup mantras.

#34 BaguaKicksAss

BaguaKicksAss

daily, it kicks my behind daily

• The Dao Bums
  • Pip
  • 8641 posts
  • Interests:"Lao Zi said: Great people are peaceful and have no longings; they are calm and have no worries. They make the sky their canopy and the earth their car; they make the four seasons their horses and make dark & light their drives. They travel where there is no road, roam where there is no weariness, depart through no gate".
    老子曰:大丈夫恬然無思,澹然無慮,以天為蓋,以地為車,以四時為馬,以陰陽為禦,行乎無路,遊乎無怠,出乎無門。
    - from Wen Zi (Tongxuan Zhenjing) 《通玄真经》, 5th century BC

Posted 12 August 2013 - 03:59 PM

I finally got around to making my own yogurt today. It's pretty easy to follow these directions, and it turned out perfect.

I will sweeten the first half of it with raw honey...and possibly for the other half I will experiment with adding masala chai spices (ginger, cinnamon, clove, green cardamom, peppercorn) in addition to the honey.

Mango Lasse recipe, take said yogurt above, add ground cardamon (if you didn't already put it in your yogurt) some fresh mango (or canned is how the restaurants do it), rosewater, and honey.  YUM! 

Now I'm hungry again lol. 

• Aetherous said thanks for this
"Lao Zi said: Great people are peaceful and have no longings; they are calm and have no worries. They make the sky their canopy and the earth their car; they make the four seasons their horses and make dark & light their drives. They travel where there is no road, roam where there is no weariness, depart through no gate".

#35 Aetherous

Aetherous

only a student

• The Dao Bums
  • Pip
  • 9058 posts

Posted 12 August 2013 - 05:01 PM

Mango Lasse recipe, take said yogurt above, add ground cardamon (if you didn't already put it in your yogurt) some fresh mango (or canned is how the restaurants do it), rosewater, and honey.  YUM! 

Now I'm hungry again lol. 

Thanks for the recipe! I heart mango lassi, and will definitely be making it.

Attached File  bread.jpg   45.28KB   27 downloads

• BaguaKicksAss said thanks for this

"Motivation is the key; discipline is the key; teamwork is the key" = basic training pushup mantras.

#36 i am

i am

• The Dao Bums
  • Pip
  • 767 posts
  • Interests:All sorts of things

Posted 13 August 2013 - 01:46 PM

I didn't love honey sweetened yogurt, and settled on maple syrup as my favorite sweetener. Getting away from even that much dairy lately, though, till I find cow products that don't gross me out.

#37 Aetherous

Aetherous

only a student

• The Dao Bums
  • Pip
  • 9058 posts

Posted 07 September 2013 - 09:03 PM

I'm going to try this way of yogurt making, since it doesn't require you to heat the milk. Matsoni cultures.

The whole heating and stirring thing was really annoying and time consuming to do. I only made the yogurt once because of that. And it possibly also destroys some of the nutritional quality of the milk. One could even make matsoni yogurt with raw milk, which many people say is better for your health.

There are also Viili cultures, which are the same concept.

Another thing: I recently ordered this coconut oil. Besides its health uses and purposes, it's supposedly one of the best oils for cooking or baking anything due to its high smoke point and light flavor. The linked brand is apparently the best you can get.

Edited by turtle shell, 07 September 2013 - 09:16 PM.

• thelerner said thanks for this

#38 Aetherous

Aetherous

only a student

• The Dao Bums
  • Pip
  • 9058 posts

Posted 01 October 2013 - 11:52 PM

This contraption is 54 bucks here. A way of brewing tea, coffee, or other kinds of drinks.

Edited by turtle shell, 01 October 2013 - 11:52 PM.

#39 BaguaKicksAss

BaguaKicksAss

• The Dao Bums
  • Pip
  • 8641 posts
  • Interests:"Lao Zi said: Great people are peaceful and have no longings; they are calm and have no worries. They make the sky their canopy and the earth their car; they make the four seasons their horses and make dark & light their drives. They travel where there is no road, roam where there is no weariness, depart through no gate".

Posted 02 October 2013 - 04:34 AM

I'm going to try this way of yogurt making, since it doesn't require you to heat the milk. Matsoni cultures.

The whole heating and stirring thing was really annoying and time consuming to do. I only made the yogurt once because of that. And it possibly also destroys some of the nutritional quality of the milk. One could even make matsoni yogurt with raw milk, which many people say is better for your health.

There are also Viili cultures, which are the same concept.

Another thing: I recently ordered this coconut oil. Besides its health uses and purposes, it's supposedly one of the best oils for cooking or baking anything due to its high smoke point and light flavor. The linked brand is apparently the best you can get.

How I made my yogurt is add culture to gallon milk jug. Put jug in warm room, shake daily.  Works great :)

"Lao Zi said: Great people are peaceful and have no longings; they are calm and have no worries. They make the sky their canopy and the earth their car; they make the four seasons their horses and make dark & light their drives. They travel where there is no road, roam where there is no weariness, depart through no gate".

#40 thelerner

thelerner

Been here long enough to know better

• Concierge
  • Pip
  • 9680 posts
  • Interests:Getting Closer to Fine
    W/out going too Crazy

Posted 02 October 2013 - 06:40 AM

This contraption is 54 bucks here. A way of brewing tea, coffee, or other kinds of drinks.

Pretty cool.  That gives me some new ideas for uses of the Royal Belgium Vacuum coffee maker I have that TaowMeow recommended.

I liked the easy yogurt making idea. 

Edited by thelerner, 02 October 2013 - 06:43 AM.

Push hard to get better, become smarter, grow your devotion to the truth, fuel your commitment to beauty, refine your emotional intelligence, hone your dreams, negotiate with your shadow, cure your ignorance, shed your pettiness, heighten your drive to look for the best in people, and soften your heart. A creed from Pronoia

Where we have stopped dancing, singing, being enchanted by stories, or finding comfort in silence is where we have experience the loss of soul. Dancing, singing, storytelling, and silence are the four universal healing salves. ~ Gabrielle Roth

#41 joeblast

joeblast

Dao Bum

• The Dao Bums
  • Pip
  • 8329 posts

Posted 02 October 2013 - 07:15 AM

Here's a good recipe for gluten-free cauliflower crust pizza.

Rice a head of cauliflower (i.e. chop it into tiny bits - leave out the stems.)  Pop it in the microwave for a few minutes to heat it up, just enough to make it steamy for the next ingredients.  Add 2 eggs, beaten, your favorite pizza-style seasoning, and a cup or so of mozz.  Stir it up and spread it thinly onto a cookie sheet, pop it in the oven at 450 until you begin seeing some browning.  Take it out and let it cool for a few minutes until the crust begins to harden a little bit.  Now slop on pizza sauce, toppings, cheese, and it should be another 3, 4, 5 minutes in the oven.

Verrry tasty :)

• cheya, Aetherous and BaguaKicksAss said thanks for this

#42 BaguaKicksAss

BaguaKicksAss

• The Dao Bums
  • Pip
  • 8641 posts

Posted 02 October 2013 - 09:24 AM

Here's a good recipe for gluten-free cauliflower crust pizza.

Rice a head of cauliflower (i.e. chop it into tiny bits - leave out the stems.)  Pop it in the microwave for a few minutes to heat it up, just enough to make it steamy for the next ingredients.  Add 2 eggs, beaten, your favorite pizza-style seasoning, and a cup or so of mozz.  Stir it up and spread it thinly onto a cookie sheet, pop it in the oven at 450 until you begin seeing some browning.  Take it out and let it cool for a few minutes until the crust begins to harden a little bit.  Now slop on pizza sauce, toppings, cheese, and it should be another 3, 4, 5 minutes in the oven.

Verrry tasty :)

that rocks! so frying pan if you have no nuker?

#43 Aetherous

Aetherous

only a student

• The Dao Bums
  • Pip
  • 9058 posts

Posted 02 October 2013 - 09:43 AM

Bagua, you made the matsoni yogurt? My first try didn't work for me...perhaps the room was too cold.

#44 joeblast

joeblast

Dao Bum

• The Dao Bums
  • Pip
  • 8329 posts

Posted 02 October 2013 - 09:55 AM

that rocks! so frying pan if you have no nuker?

I'm sure that would work!  Get a big one out, though!

• BaguaKicksAss said thanks for this

#45 BaguaKicksAss

BaguaKicksAss

• The Dao Bums
  • Pip
  • 8641 posts

Posted 02 October 2013 - 10:50 AM

Bagua, you made the matsoni yogurt? My first try didn't work for me...perhaps the room was too cold.

I dont know, i didnt click on the link lol

Yes need a warm room.

#46 Aetherous

Aetherous

only a student

• The Dao Bums
  • Pip
  • 9058 posts

Posted 18 November 2013 - 07:07 PM

Made this buttermilk pie with blackberry sauce tonight...awesome.

• silent thunder said thanks for this

#47 thelerner

thelerner

Been here long enough to know better

• Concierge
  • Pip
  • 9680 posts
  • Interests:Getting Closer to Fine
    W/out going too Crazy

Posted 18 November 2013 - 07:27 PM

Made this buttermilk pie with blackberry sauce tonight...awesome.

This looks pretty simple, and I need a pie to bring to Thanksgiving. 

Push hard to get better, become smarter, grow your devotion to the truth, fuel your commitment to beauty, refine your emotional intelligence, hone your dreams, negotiate with your shadow, cure your ignorance, shed your pettiness, heighten your drive to look for the best in people, and soften your heart. A creed from Pronoia

Where we have stopped dancing, singing, being enchanted by stories, or finding comfort in silence is where we have experience the loss of soul. Dancing, singing, storytelling, and silence are the four universal healing salves. ~ Gabrielle Roth

#48 Aetherous

Aetherous

only a student

• The Dao Bums
  • Pip
  • 9058 posts

Posted 18 November 2013 - 07:41 PM

This looks pretty simple, and I need a pie to bring to Thanksgiving. 

It's super rich, so people will likely love the flavors, but not be able to eat much of it in addition to all that other food.  ^_^ 

• thelerner said thanks for this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users