Harmonious Emptiness

Wu Wei as Empty 無爲 Action rather than non-action?

無爲

Empty Action

Hahahahahahaha.. why didn't I see this before?

Martial applications

Nei Gong applications

comments?

Edited by Harmonious Emptiness
  • Like 3

The Dao is empty like the bellows or like the space between heaven and earth, but it is inexhaustible...

Thus, empty may reflect content but not capacity.

Also consider that Wu is a pictogram of the shaman dancers. This is often seen as a ritual of [wordless--empty words] communication between heaven and earth. Empty of words yet full of capacity to communication.

What is the capacity of Dao? De.

Dao is empty, yet full of De.

• Like 4

Another side of the same coin makes more sense really...

Emptiness in Tai Chi speaks about being almost like a mirage, so that when the opponent attacks all he finds is cloudy emptiness. It's not about non-action there but literal space/emptiness.

There is the action of non-action (basically non-action, avoidance, passive-aggressiveness maybe); the action of emptying (of thoughts, selfishness, negative emotions); there is action which employs emptiness for force (as in the brakes example, thanks JB^).

There is something more than just non-action when speaking about this from a martial perpective. There is something more skillful there, beyond merely non-doing. There is the art to "Empty Action" that Tai Chi artists are able to apply to combat.

Empty action also applies to the "Shining Mind," "empty mind" or better yet "Sage Mind."

The Sage Mind of the Tai Chi artists.

• Like 1

It's not about non-action there but literal space/emptiness.

Our practices are about clearing this space, arent they. Spaciousness.

Removing inner furniture. And where, then, does one put ones belongings, ones clothes, and where does one sit?

• Like 1

It occurred to me recently I don't know how I would act without the monkey-mind chatter and images that's always there in the background in my head.

I'm curious to find out what I'd do. Would I act? Would I just stand by and simply observe life?

I don't know. :unsure:

It occurred to me recently I don't know how I would act without the monkey-mind chatter and images that's always there in the background in my head.

I'm curious to find out what I'd do. Would I act? Would I just stand by and simply observe life?

I don't know. :unsure:

Likely, you're monkey mind takes a break more often than you realize it.

"Thinking arises and thinking goes away, before and after there is no discrimination."

Mind Inscription Scripture