Ready, set, don't go!

• The Dao Bums
  • Pip
  • 5283 posts
  • Interests:Zhan Zhuang
    Fan Huan Gong

Posted 29 July 2014 - 07:06 AM

Three things I mention in my groups:

• daily practice (even if it sometimes means only 5 minutes, you still keep the rhythm going)
  • groups are for learning but the real practice happens when you're alone
  • live symbiotically with nature -- make it a win/win relationship

• thelerner, OldWolf, zerostao and 4 others said thanks
~~~ TheDàoBums' Three Foundations: Eclectic, Egalitarian, Civil ~~~

~~~ "We are each an experiment of one" -- George Sheehan ~~~

~~~ “People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day.” ― A.A. Milne, Winnie-the-Pooh ~~~

~~~ “When we try to pick out anything by itself, we find it hitched to everything else in the Universe.” ― John Muir ~~~

#50 thelerner

thelerner

Been here long enough to know better

• Concierge
  • Pip
  • 9682 posts
  • Interests:Getting Closer to Fine
    W/out going too Crazy

Posted 03 August 2014 - 06:52 PM

Question for teachers.  Lets say the three basics of health are eating, exercise and sleep.  Any special insights (things the general population ignores) into how to do those things better? 

Push hard to get better, become smarter, grow your devotion to the truth, fuel your commitment to beauty, refine your emotional intelligence, hone your dreams, negotiate with your shadow, cure your ignorance, shed your pettiness, heighten your drive to look for the best in people, and soften your heart. A creed from Pronoia

Where we have stopped dancing, singing, being enchanted by stories, or finding comfort in silence is where we have experience the loss of soul. Dancing, singing, storytelling, and silence are the four universal healing salves. ~ Gabrielle Roth

#51 Gerard

Gerard

Dao Bum

• The Dao Bums
  • Pip
  • 3496 posts

Posted 04 August 2014 - 09:03 PM

Detox:

The liver and gallbladder (and their mother: kidney) are the main organs of focus. You cleanse those and automatically you start tuning in with the natural rhythms of nature. Eat well before noon and stop eating altogether after the urinary bladder  becomes active (3pm). As a result your sleep will miraculously improve. However to get to that point lots of toxins will be released from the wood organs which will be diverted to the earth element (stomach, spleen) in order to relief the pressure towards the heart (house of fire) as otherwise it will be shattered very quickly due to the amount of toxins the wood organs have to put up with due to modern lifestyle. The liver is a giant processor as well as a regulator of all human emotions. Imagine if all those things the liver bloks and regulates get suddenly release to its child (the heart): instant heart attack, which is not a rarity anyway. So liver fire starts invading the stomach and the spleen, and then the children of the latter (lungs and large intestine) get blocked as a result with the corresponding health issues (phlegm production, eczema, allergies (signs of spleen qi deficiency), respiratory infections, inability to let go, poor equilibrium...(main large intestine "toxins"), etc.

Diet: try to follow Asian diet. Generally speaking, Western diet is not indicated for people who cultivate the mind and the the energetic body (5 elements, jing-qi-shen...)

Sleep: cultivate the kidneys to nourish the liver and gallbladder as these two organs are directly related to sleep quality. Alcohol, drugs, excessive sexual activity, excessive computer use, overworking, overactivity, etc. Going up and down in life (from one extreme to another) take a huge toll on kidney qi and sap the jing which in turn dries up the "tree" (liver) you have inside...and once it dries up completely the shen/heart has no other place to stay so you'll be physically dead. The motto should be: keep calm all the time. Absolute serenity. :)

2v96rz4.jpg

and

142uhp3.jpg

+

2yjykbq.jpg

=

2pplgrr.jpg

Edited by Gerard, 04 August 2014 - 09:10 PM.

• thelerner, liminal_luke, soaring crane and 7 others said thanks

#52 ViscountValmont

ViscountValmont

Dao Bum

• The Dao Bums
  • Pip
  • 32 posts

Posted 16 August 2014 - 08:31 PM

Thanks for responding people.

If I may>>

What were some of your most lasting and effective "sudden realizations" while learning Tai Chi movement (about TC movement, or otherwise)?

All of martial Tai Chi is contained within the Standing Tree "rooted" position, while swinging the arms side to side, using only the hips, completely and utterly relaxed, especially at the shoulders. 

• thelerner said thanks for this

#53 Harmonious Emptiness

Harmonious Emptiness

nemesis: Erroneous Cleanliness

• The Dao Bums
  • Pip
  • 3345 posts
  • Interests:Putting Classical Chinese thoughts into English words

Posted 26 August 2014 - 09:16 PM

All of martial Tai Chi is contained within the Standing Tree "rooted" position, while swinging the arms side to side, using only the hips, completely and utterly relaxed, especially at the shoulders. 

thanks for your response.

You're a taiji teacher?

#54 thelerner

thelerner

• Concierge
  • Pip
  • 9682 posts
    W/out going too Crazy

Posted 25 September 2014 - 05:25 PM

Winter is coming.  Some feel thats a good time to take a tonic for a little extra umph.

Are there any tonic's you'd recommend?  Either a commercial formula or a home made recipe?

• silent thunder said thanks for this
Push hard to get better, become smarter, grow your devotion to the truth, fuel your commitment to beauty, refine your emotional intelligence, hone your dreams, negotiate with your shadow, cure your ignorance, shed your pettiness, heighten your drive to look for the best in people, and soften your heart. A creed from Pronoia

Where we have stopped dancing, singing, being enchanted by stories, or finding comfort in silence is where we have experience the loss of soul. Dancing, singing, storytelling, and silence are the four universal healing salves. ~ Gabrielle Roth

#55 soaring crane

soaring crane

Ready, set, don't go!

• The Dao Bums
  • Pip
  • 5283 posts
  • Interests:Zhan Zhuang
    Fan Huan Gong

Posted 26 September 2014 - 05:00 AM

I bring a thermos of mugi miso broth with added ginger and assorted chili to my groups (have started adding a little coconut oil to it, too). Someone asked to try it yesterday, and was not pleased. However, it's an excellent tonic and you get used to the flavor.

• thelerner and Uroboros said thanks for this
~~~ TheDàoBums' Three Foundations: Eclectic, Egalitarian, Civil ~~~

~~~ "We are each an experiment of one" -- George Sheehan ~~~

~~~ “People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day.” ― A.A. Milne, Winnie-the-Pooh ~~~

~~~ “When we try to pick out anything by itself, we find it hitched to everything else in the Universe.” ― John Muir ~~~

#56 silent thunder

silent thunder

Oneironaut

• The Dao Bums
  • Pip
  • 2972 posts
  • Interests:Rain, Nature, Qi Gong, Nei Gong, Meditation, Kung Fu, Camping, Photography, Sacred Geometry, Lucid Dreaming, OBE's, Solfeggio Harmonics, Cymatics, Humorous Stuff...

Posted 26 September 2014 - 07:00 AM

I bring a thermos of mugi miso broth with added ginger and assorted chili to my groups (have started adding a little coconut oil to it, too). Someone asked to try it yesterday, and was not pleased. However, it's an excellent tonic and you get used to the flavor.

That sounds awesome and strong.

• soaring crane said thanks for this

Not a single raindrop has ever fallen in the wrong spot... there are no accidents.

Everything I Love and Everything I Hate, come from the Same Source.

As Above, So Below: As Within, Without.

I don't believe everything I think.

stop glorifying busy

#57 thelerner

thelerner

• Concierge
  • Pip
  • 9682 posts
    W/out going too Crazy

Posted 26 September 2014 - 07:50 AM

I think coffee shops like Starbucks would make a mint if they offered a mugs of miso during the winter.   Its fast cheap healthy and really hits the spot.  Heck they should sell a tablespoon of coconut butter too.  How far behind the cutting edge do they want to be.

whoops, going off subject.

Other ideas for winter tonics?

edit errata>

Cool Facts About Miso and Its Health Benefits:

-With as little as 11 calories per gram of protein, it’s a great source of healthy protein.
-A low fat, high flavor addition to dishes; the strong flavor of miso means a little goes a long way, allowing you to cut down on calories and salt.
-It keeps your systems in balance by alkalizing the body (the body needs to be in an alkaline state, as opposed to an acidic state, to maintain wellness. Acidity is created in the body as a reaction to substances such as animal protein, coffee and sugar.)
-An excellent source of B vitamins, which may include B12 (There are conflicting reports on whether miso is a viable source of B12. This disagreement may be due to the variation of fermentation time and where and how the products being tested were produced.)
-Aids digestion and nutrient intake (This is possibly due to the digestive enzymes, lactobacilli, salt-resistant yeasts and beneficial micro-organisms present in miso) These benefits can be lost if cooked away, so avoid boiling or overcooking miso.
-A good source of manganese, tryptophan, zinc, phosphorus, copper, omega 3 fatty acids, lecithin, and linoleic acid.

also Mugi = Barley, very nutritious.

Edited by thelerner, 26 September 2014 - 12:54 PM.

• Spotless and silent thunder said thanks for this

#58 Gerard

Gerard

Dao Bum

• The Dao Bums
  • Pip
  • 3496 posts

Posted 27 September 2014 - 01:41 AM

You might want to purchase the following book:

Yin Yang Qi: The Art of Balancing Health

Overview: This book contains recipes for over fifty traditional Chinese soups and congees, some tasty and some not so tasty, but all developed to address specific aspects of health and to maintain bodily balance.

174 pages, hardcover.

Reasonably priced.

Soups and congees should be the staple of your diet: your internal organs will love them and they should be consumed basically on a daily basis. :)

• thelerner, soaring crane, cheya and 4 others said thanks

#59 Andrei

Andrei

Dao Bum

• The Dao Bums
  • Pip
  • 1382 posts

Posted 27 September 2014 - 08:52 AM

I have that book, it's amazing! All my advices on the diet issues on this forum and elsewhere are based on that book. I even met the author briefly once.
  • soaring crane said thanks for this

#60 Silent Answers

Silent Answers

• The Dao Bums
  • Pip
  • 673 posts

Posted 07 October 2014 - 04:52 AM

I don't want to go into a lot of detail in public...I'm hoping someone more experienced could answer me this:

Can out of control empathic ability severely affect others in a negative way...as if deflecting the moods of random people onto others you come into contact with, even if there's been no spiritual connection with them?
Your thoughts control the fate of the universe within
All are connected
if you change the direction of one, the others will follow
Once you obtain this, you can step out of the past.

#61 Taomeow

Taomeow

Dao Bum

• The Dao Bums
  • Pip
  • 6673 posts

Posted 22 October 2014 - 11:09 AM

I don't want to go into a lot of detail in public...I'm hoping someone more experienced could answer me this:

Can out of control empathic ability severely affect others in a negative way...as if deflecting the moods of random people onto others you come into contact with, even if there's been no spiritual connection with them?

The situation, even without details, might need to be understood better by whoever assesses it before suggesting remedies.  "Control" is the name of the game.  "Out of control" gives me some idea of the nature of the problem, but I wouldn't want to jump to conclusions without knowing more.   

Edited by Taomeow, 22 October 2014 - 11:12 AM.

• Spotless and Uroboros said thanks for this

>^..^<

#62 windwalker

windwalker

Dao Bum

• The Dao Bums
  • Pip
  • 51 posts
  • Interests:Journey to emptiness

Posted 20 February 2015 - 10:06 PM

honesty:     with ones self and others 

sincerity:    respect the practice and those of others

clarity:        understand what ones practice is about and is not.  

Edited by morninglight, 21 February 2015 - 06:51 AM.

• soaring crane and effilang said thanks for this

#63 Lao Bum

Lao Bum

Dao Bum

• Junior Bum
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 22 February 2015 - 01:00 PM

Well, I've taught kung-fu(Sung Lung Miu) and Shoto kan karate mixed m.a. with juijutsu, aikido, and ninjitsu, I'm now teaching Ashtanga yoga asana practice and couple that with meditation and pranayama. I don't teach Taoist meditation but I practice that more than anything at home. As I find it is the most comprehensive and effective way to increase chi flow. And it appears to be the one umbrella that offers more about this subject than any other that I've encountered. Goes well with iron sand palm training too.

Many good ideas on this subject, but for a beginner I'd start with simply putting a cold wet washcloth on the nape of your neck. Now that's simple!  

But there's the finger hold just in front of the hui yin that works as a last resort. This is if the semen has already started to leak out. Put the middle finger on the vas deference the fore finger on one side and the ring finger on the other to cradle the v.d. and push with the middle finger before it reaches the shaft. Push with just enough pressure to stop the flow and then massage with silk to keep the v.d. from being damaged. You may loose about 20% of your jing but it's better than loosing all of it. Best to use one of the ideas above first and keep the meditation internalized without falling into the trappings of the senses.     

#64 effilang

effilang

Xuan Daoji

• The Dao Bums
  • Pip
  • 1072 posts
  • Interests:Xiao Yao Pai

Posted 13 November 2016 - 02:54 PM

Be consistent

Be natural

Be humble

• SeekerOfHealing said thanks for this
TTBS2.jpg
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"To attain knowledge, add things everyday. To attain wisdom, remove things everyday"
"One grows tall after walking through a forest of tall trees."
"Those who do not move, do not notice their chains."
‪#xiaoyaopai #taoyinshu #daoyinshu #xuandaoji #spiritualdaoism #spiritualtaoism #daoism #taoism‬ ‪#‎meditation‬ ‪#‎laozi‬ ‪#‎spirituality‬ ‪#‎neidan‬ ‪#‎xian‬ ‪#‎immortality‬ ‪#‎yoga‬ ‪
#‎taoyin‬ ‪#‎qigong‬ ‪#‎taiji‬ ‪#‎wuji‬ ‪#‎tao‬ ‪#‎inspirational‬ ‪#‎art‬ ‪#‎bestoftheday‬ ‪#‎cool‬ ‪#‎life‬ ‪#‎lovely‬ ‪#‎instagood‬ ‪#‎me‬ ‪#‎followme‬ ‪#‎photooftheday‬ ‪#‎happy‬ ‪#‎beautiful‬ ‪#‎instadaily‬ ‪#‎discoveryou‬

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users