thelerner

Q's...ONLY Teachers may Answer.

Seems to me like anyone who sets themselves up as a teacher, is a teacher. They may not be good at it, they may have zero students, they may have info that's not really worth anyone's time...but they are still trying to teach, so a teacher is what they are.

• Like 2

If people want to discuss the philosophy who a teacher is that's great.. I'd prefer you do it on another thread.   I'd rather not see most of this thread taken up by that question.  For now, like the OP said, a teacher is someone who knows there crap well and has taught students for over a year. 

If you think the definition should be only people with orange auras should be able to teach, start an orange aura teacher thread.  I'm sure this thread will get hijacked but I don't want it to be all continually a discussion of Who A teacher REa;ly REally is.  Okay?  Not here.. start a new thread- 'I Want to discuss What A teacher is' thread.. or put it in your PPD.. or ask around.. but not here.

For a short while.. lets keep this to 'Q's.. ONLY Teachers may Answer..'

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Starjumper said:

There's a breathing exercise that has many amazing benefits on many levels of cultivation, people who don't know it spend a loit of time doing some of the most ridiculous things in order to cultivate what that practice does with all of them at once, but it's secret.  Other than that, breathing deeply is very good because people should stretch their lungs.  I mainly wanted to correct the answers of some amateurs here, as follows:

This is incorrect advice from amateurs, there is a very specific pattern of breathing that was taught to practitioners of Yang tai chi in the past, in fact Grandmaster Tchoung Ta Tchen said it was where the power really came from.  Evidently it is relatively unknown now.   Chen tai chi has a similar breathing pattern but it has differences due to the fast movements.

I don't know about Sun and Wu tai chi, but since they lost so many of their marbles I imagine they lost the way of breathing too.

Could you talk about breathing patterns in more detail? 

On 12/13/2017 at 9:28 PM, thelerner said:

Could you talk about breathing patterns in more detail? 

Yes I could, but first let's see what Zen Bear has to say about it.  He seems like a friendly informative feller here.  If someone would ask this question about breathing pattern in tai chi in his Flying Phoenix thread that would be great, it could then be pasted to this thread.

I may not qualify as a teacher any more because I've quit teaching.

Edited by Starjumper

3 hours ago, Starjumper said:

Yes I could, but first let's see what Zen Bear has to say about it.  He seems like a friendly informative feller here.  If someone would ask this question about breathing pattern in tai chi in his Flying Phoenix thread that would be great, it could then be pasted to this thread.

I may not qualify as a teacher any more because I've quit teaching.

Dude, just go ahead and assume you fit the description., (as in having the potential for third party endorsement to substantiate the integrity of what you have to say. If one can't recognize for themselves the validity of some spoken  point or other and wants to rely on some anonymous 'other person' to tell them , so be it. Its not unusual). 

• Like 4

On 13/12/2017 at 7:49 PM, dawei said:

or maybe 'A Teaching Corner'.  Another had the idea, so I'll have to follow up.

I think a study group like subforum... to share teaching methods, results, advices could be awesome... and fertile !

• Like 1

On 2/1/2013 at 6:02 PM, thelerner said:

This idea popped into my head. Instead of an open discussion, make a topic for people to ask a question and have one of our onboard teachers answer, if they choose. No discussion beyond a follow up question and no comments or 'advice' from non teachers. <lets see if this matures or not>

Dear TB teachers <teacher=teaching students > 1 year>, <even humble Taijiquan'ers>

What are 3 simple things we can do to improve our cultivation.

Thank you

Michael

Focus on intake of Earth energy through the feet.

11 minutes ago, Liberius Ultorus said:

Focus on intake of Earth energy through the feet.

This is good ... but ... by which method, visualization or manual?

36 minutes ago, Starjumper said:

This is good ... but ... by which method, visualization or manual?

You literally pull the Yin from the Earth through your feet.

My opinion, I don't teach people to visualize Qi, because it seems, sounds, feels, imaginary. Qi is real, it's just that the Yin Qi isn't physical. 

I don't know what you mean by "manual". 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Liberius Ultorus said:

My opinion, I don't teach people to visualize Qi

Good, you're my kind of teacher then.

3 minutes ago, Liberius Ultorus said:

I don't know what you mean by "manual". 

Sorry, I should have said:  Do you mean moving the energy with your mind only or with your hands?

Edited by Starjumper
  • Like 1

Oh, that really doesn't matter. Really, it's truly an illusion. there is no mind "moving" the Qi. We say this for terms of communication. Really, you are the Qi. You just ALLOW yourself to move through yourself from your feet up to your head and head to feet with arms interacting internally and externally. 

there's no secret, I think. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

19 hours ago, Liberius Ultorus said:

Oh, that really doesn't matter. Really, it's truly an illusion. there is no mind "moving" the Qi. We say this for terms of communication.

Communication.  OK then, here we are, trying to communicate.  There are a lot of schools that instruct people to use their mind to move energy in their bodies, that's the way they do it.  It appears that you are saying more or less the same thing but avoiding the terminology.

Really, you are the Qi. You just ALLOW yourself to move through yourself from your feet up to your head and head to feet with arms interacting internally and externally.

So, no hands, good.  I'm guessing that you have a certificate to teach?  What lineage are you from?

Edited by Starjumper

On 5/4/2018 at 6:39 AM, Starjumper said:

Communication.  OK then, here we are, trying to communicate.  There are a lot of schools that instruct people to use their mind to move energy in their bodies, that's the way they do it.  It appears that you are saying more or less the same thing but avoiding the terminology.

So, no hands, good.  I'm guessing that you have a certificate to teach?  What lineage are you from?

I'm not from a lineage. I've learned from traiteurs, Cajun french healers, before realizing that Cajun mysticism is actually Qigong. 

I felt the Qi moving before talking to Taoist monks and realizing that cajun healers and exorcists use Qi, so around 5 years of cajun teachings and 6 years of Neigong. 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Liberius Ultorus said:

I'm not from a lineage. I've learned from traiteurs, Cajun french healers, before realizing that Cajun mysticism is actually Qigong. 

I felt the Qi moving before talking to Taoist monks and realizing that cajun healers and exorcists use Qi, so around 5 years of cajun teachings and 6 years of Neigong. 

Interesting, I don't know anything about Cajun mysticism but it sounds interesting, and I agree that we all use chi because that's our life energy.

The reason I asked about moving chi with mind versus hands is because I'm a hand person.  I do energy work on myself and others with my hands, and my teacher who was quite the powerful wizard absolutely forbade moving energy in your body with mind (outside your body is a different matter =).  It's true that the mind is also involved in this anyway because the mind follows the hands and the energy follows that, however the mind is only involved as an observer and not a director. I hope that makes sense.  It is also essential if one is to use energy techniques for combat, and Taoism is a warrior tradition.

The Taoist chi kung masters and wizards do their energy work with their hands and so it is important to use your hands when training and also training to make them more powerful.

A couple of questions.  What is a traiteur?  Also, did the monks teach you nei kung or was that something that came after you talked to them?  Was that six years of nei kung under a master or was it practice on your own? I guess that's three questions.

I want to add here that I don't give a damn about certificates, it's just a subject that came up here recently.

Edited by Starjumper

16 hours ago, Starjumper said:

Interesting, I don't know anything about Cajun mysticism but it sounds interesting, and I agree that we all use chi because that's our life energy.

The reason I asked about moving chi with mind versus hands is because I'm a hand person.  I do energy work on myself and others with my hands, and my teacher who was quite the powerful wizard absolutely forbade moving energy in your body with mind (outside your body is a different matter =).  It's true that the mind is also involved in this anyway because the mind follows the hands and the energy follows that, however the mind is only involved as an observer and not a director. I hope that makes sense.  It is also essential if one is to use energy techniques for combat, and Taoism is a warrior tradition.

The Taoist chi kung masters and wizards do their energy work with their hands and so it is important to use your hands when training and also training to make them more powerful.

A couple of questions.  What is a traiteur?  Also, did the monks teach you nei kung or was that something that came after you talked to them?  Was that six years of nei kung under a master or was it practice on your own? I guess that's three questions.

I want to add here that I don't give a damn about certificates, it's just a subject that came up here recently.

About 3 years with a monk or two and 3 years solo.

Traiteur is a cajun french mystic/healer. same thing as a Daoshi. And yes, you're correct; hands are great. 

• Like 1

Are there practices in Cajun  similar to those in daoism or what is generally done to build up/restore energy? 

And do they work/treat with their own energies or are they using "universal" energy, like in reiki for example or both? 

Edited by phil

3 hours ago, phil said:

Are there practices in Cajun  similar to those in daoism or what is generally done to build up/restore energy? 

And do they work/treat with their own energies or are they using "universal" energy, like in reiki for example or both? 

Both. It's the same, interchange between yourself and the ultimate reality. 

• Like 2

On 5/7/2018 at 7:42 PM, Starjumper said:

You know, I've thought a bit and meditated a bit on this line. In my Qigong exercises I've seldom used my hands (consciously) to guide qi... HOWEVER, I've realized last night that even when you're not physically moving your hands, your hands are energetically guiding Qi.

In summation, you can move your hands without moving them in the physical reality. Wuwei. 

• Like 1

I would suggest one not "focus" on bringing energy up through the feet.

One could say that the power emanates from the breath - into the lower dan tien - from this all else builds.

The feet and leg channels are helped along by message and stretching and also very much in form and "grabbing the floor with your feet" - weight well distributed on each foot. Toes slightly cupped so as to stimulate the Yongquan point.

From breath, practice and being in ones lower dan tien all else builds naturally.

Focusing on bringing in earth energy will result in physical difficulty if one is actually successful in bringing up large amounts - (high percentages). Luckily most leg channels are insufficiently developed to allow it and the body knows better than to allow it in proportions that are harmful - but any student can override good practice with focused imbalancing acts of willfulness or incorrect instruction.

The internal energies that are being developed in Qi Gong are far greater than even an advanced student is aware. Playing around with directing these energies inside and from without to within is that enticing engineering we are so prone to love - but engineering will either distort ones development, diminish it or create considerable physical discomfort.

The feet and leg channels should be attended to - and they are in the practices themselves - messaging the feet prior to practice will reduce the pains and burning during practice as they open and will stimulate awareness of the feet and all organs generally. 

Additionally one can bend and stretch the legs in ways that will help to facilitate opening of those channels.

The body cannot take raw earth energy to any great extent - typically not more than 1 or 2 % up the leg channels - it is an energy that is too coarse for the body - however - most people barely bring in a small percentage of that. This does not mean that when one is well rooted in it that it feels like 1 or 2% - one feels like a great tree with roots many feet deep.

The exuberance for bringing in earth energy can stem from having not had practically any connection to it previously - or because one may have a proclivity (DNA) to running a bit more of it the most and it will feel like a thirst quencher - but over doing it and focusing on it is not advised to any extent as a regular practice.

As practice bears fruit the energies that build from the foundation - the lower dan tien - will bring radical transformation to the leg channels, side channels and all channels as well as eventual melding of channels and then far beyond "channels" to luminous bodies and considerable extensions.

if one were to "direct" anything with their "mind" it would be to ask that "mind" cease to be in the way.

Edited by Spotless
  • Like 3

As practice progresses the dan tiens will be felt, the channels will emerge into ones awareness and capabilities will expand on all fronts. At this point - how one dissipates ones energies - becomes more of the real practice.

I do not mean dissipate in the sense of retention - that is of little importance until it is and when it is it will be zero effort no matter how much you believe you are perhaps different in that area.

Dissipation of ones energies in futures and pasts and the general illusion / noise - the cause of all suffering - is the determining factor in how far your practice will take you.

Qi Gong is a practice of Self Realization - every bit as much as Real Yoga.

It can also be a practice simply for health or personal power.

Ones personal power will only progress to the extent that you might impress an audience or students - and it can become what anyone would call "incredible" and even "fantastical" - but far beyond identified personal power - lightyears beyond this - yet not necessarily noticeably so to others nearby - the expanded awareness in stillness (Awakened Abidance) allows for all possible powers.

These powers emerge within and in a oneness with the All and everything. The hands are tremendous instruments for sending and receiving and are instrumental in helping us to confirm with certainty many things in the energy arts. And for personal power they are engineering marvels.

As the abilities unfold and awareness expands and identification ebbs - hand " tricks " are replaced with far greater internal capacities.

The hands are still of great utility and the feet become as the hands as well - but the hands are well practiced and energy is naturally felt and influenced with them.

The great pumping and hand movements in Qi Gong shows are of personal power - impressive and useful in martial arts - but nothing compared to higher form and beyond form. Personal powers can include all forms of wizardry - 3rd eye capabilities - pretty much you name it. 

A never ending intent to be released from ones identified "self" and residual proclivities of identified "self" if Awakening has occurred- is what must be within ones essence in all practice - in all of living.

Qi Gong is as True Yoga - it is a way of life - either are easily taken as aids in personal power and many will never see or know the difference. Many believe they are on the Great Pathless Path - but are instead on the path of higher personal powers - and those attainments hold them like sirens on an island of plenty.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

On 5/10/2018 at 8:19 AM, Liberius Ultorus said:
On 5/7/2018 at 7:42 PM, Starjumper said:

You know, I've thought a bit and meditated a bit on this line. In my Qigong exercises I've seldom used my hands (consciously) to guide qi... HOWEVER, I've realized last night that even when you're not physically moving your hands, your hands are energetically guiding Qi

We use our hands somewhat like a dish type radar antenna  or phased array radar antenna.  When used like a dish antenna it can send out a  beam or fan of energy perpendicular to the palm, when used like phased array antenna it affects energy flows up to 180 degrees from the palm.  This works the same either with moving or non moving techniques.  In general non moving uses the hands more like a dish type antenna and the moving methods use it both ways but a bit more as a phased array antenna.

Edited by Starjumper
  • Like 1

Not sure this is the right place to ask??? however have a question re a practise stage Damo Mitchell refers to as 'Crushing the Shen', diagram pg269 of WMOMP covers my experiences. Happy to share my visual experiences outside of what he has written in terms of validation if requested.

Specifically this experience now happens in a random way with some force, outside of any practise, (last one was during Spain/Portugal world cup game!) but have not progressed for a year or so.

Wonder if a teacher can clarify what it means, give me better advice on next steps or who been through this themselves please?     

Some brief background - have practise Zen and Damo's instructions for 30 years, gone through various stages, but now only really practise 9 bottled wind (the original Tibetan form) and white skeleton as are they are far more powerful than anything else. Last big break through came after lots of doing a lot of fa yin/yogic stretching, particularly the regular twice daily practise of the 5 Rights.

Have posted on this forum before many years ago re RAB and got some very good advice so hoping for same again.