If somebody has been trying to practice brahmacharya/semen retention for a while, what is the one most simple semen sublimation method you would recommend? By simple, I really mean simple: something a lay person could perform, without too many complications.
This is from Teacher Dao Zhen. Much wisdom here, I probably quote this twice a year. Some things he recommends are simple, but simple is..relative
By Dao Zhen On Sexuality and retention
I think for serious students, this is a big hurdle to overcome.
It is best to not get into the habit of gaining depression when an emission happens in sleep.
It is natural, and go slow and do not force anything, nor become obsessed with "saving" jing.
Keep practice, follow solid methods and guidelines.
With time, all will become secure quite naturally.
I have found the following to be a help for me in my practice.
Yet this is by no means advise from an expert, as I have very little experience.
In the tradition I am learning, it is generally accepted that a serious student is celibate.
- Points to help prevent emission during sleep -
1. Change conditioned habits and patterns in regards to viewing and interacting with women - on the street, and in the manner we speak and deal with them in public situations -
If we flirt, and have playful interaction with women, it may stir things up quite a bit, and cause trouble during sleep.
Honor and respect women as your sisters in Tao, yet do not view them as sexual objects, nor project sexual fantasy on women.
1-a. Do not view pornography video, magazine, or sexual movies.
2. Diet. Do not over eat, and do not go to bed while full. I have found it best to eat the last meal of the day around 5pm or so. Also in the tradition I am learning, it is thought best to follow a simple vegetarian diet, with no spice, garlic, onion, scallion, chives, and cilantro.
3. Do not have very heavy blankets on the body that will create too much heat when sleeping.
4. Do not sleep on the stomach. Sleep on the back with one leg crossed over the other – hands resting below the navel, or on the right side with one leg tucked behind the bottom leg at the knee level – right palm cupping the ear – left palm below navel area.
5. The most important point I have found that helps is to sit for 1 - 2.5 hours or so in proper seated meditation practice before sleep. This is perhaps the most important point, and will yield the most results.
In this tradition, we have a method to transfer Jing to Qi that is taught.
It is termed - "Lighting a Fire", or "Burning a Soft Fire".
It is very effective, and yields the effect of the Jing being transformed to Qi, and really is like something burns away and evaporates.
There is great warmth generated in the Lower Dantian area that moves, and steams upward during the process in a manner that is very pleasurable and uplifting.
One is left with a feeling of great expansion, and the sign that the Jing has been completely transformed, and it is safe to sleep is one has a feeling like a vast, expansive, clear blue sky.
The sign that one has made some gain in transformation of Jing over a period of time, is generally one will stop to have dream activity.
There is a great stillness in the sleep state, and no real strong dream activity.
This is also related to the pattern of the Metal conquering Wood; Or the Po suppressing the Hun during the night.
When the Hun is suppressed by the Po, it wanders away from the sphere of the liver, and the resulting experience is dreams.
As Jing is transformed into Qi, and the Hun is strengthened, there is less and less dream activity during the sleep state.
One sign I have also come to notice is that if I was lazy and just lie down for sleep without practice, there will be a feeling of something stirring in the lower Dantian, like a movement, or maybe even a worm or something is really moving and stirring.
This is a sign that one will experience an emission during sleep, and it is important to have a strong will power, and sit up and cross the legs and sit to Burn the Soft Fire.
It is also a good idea to get into the habit of getting up from sleep at any time in the night when you awake and there is a stirring in the sexual organ, or a strong erection.
Just sit up, cross the legs, and lightly gaze over the Lower Dantian area and sit in stillness.
In this system, they also teach a standing method of body movement, contraction and breathe retention in the first stages to strengthen the lower gate, to help prevent the emission during sleep.
This stage does not last forever.
It is as if the body and being is at first in a habit to let the liquid flow out, and loose the essence.
Yet with slow and steady practice, the body and being learns another way.
It becomes the natural state to preserve the essence, and no loss is experienced.
It is an investment of time.
So it takes a strong and steady will power.
Constant and steady daily practice over a period of time.
Edited by thelerner, 08 February 2013 - 08:33 PM.