thelerner

Been here long enough to know better

• Concierge
  • Pip
  • 9905 posts
  • Interests:Getting Closer to Fine
    W/out going too Crazy

Posted 01 February 2013 - 04:02 PM

This idea popped into my head.  Instead of an open discussion, make a topic for people to ask a question and have one of our onboard teachers answer, if they choose.  No discussion beyond a follow up question and no comments or 'advice' from non teachers.  <lets see if this matures or not>

Dear TB teachers <teacher=teaching students > 1 year>, <even humble Taijiquan'ers>

What are 3 simple things we can do to improve our cultivation.

Thank you

Michael

Edited by thelerner, 15 February 2013 - 02:21 PM.

• Trunk, 林愛偉, cheya and 4 others said thanks
Push hard to get better, become smarter, grow your devotion to the truth, fuel your commitment to beauty, refine your emotional intelligence, hone your dreams, negotiate with your shadow, cure your ignorance, shed your pettiness, heighten your drive to look for the best in people, and soften your heart. A creed from Pronoia

Where we have stopped dancing, singing, being enchanted by stories, or finding comfort in silence is where we have experience the loss of soul. Dancing, singing, storytelling, and silence are the four universal healing salves. ~ Gabrielle Roth

#2 Gerard

Gerard

Dao Bum

• The Dao Bums
  • Pip
  • 3608 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 07:02 PM

Edited by Gerard, 13 September 2013 - 02:24 AM.

• thelerner, Wells, Cat Pillar and 1 other said thanks

#3 Stigweard

Stigweard

The Janitor

• The Dao Bums
  • Pip
  • 3939 posts
  • Interests:Master Ni Hua Ching, Taijiquan, Qigong, Neidan, Laozi, I Ching.

Posted 01 February 2013 - 11:38 PM

This idea popped into my head.  Instead of an open discussion, make a topic for people to ask a question and have one of our onboard teachers answer, if they choose.  No discussion beyond a follow up question and no comments or 'advice' from non teachers.  <lets see if this matures or not>

Dear TB teachers

Thank you

Michael

I would only be able to speak as a Taijiquan teacher ... would this qualify ??

• thelerner, 林愛偉 and joeblast said thanks for this

#4 林愛偉

林愛偉

Namo Amitabha Buddha

• The Dao Bums
  • Pip
  • 2010 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 11:43 PM

Dear TB teachers

Thank you

Michael

Hi Michael!

Gerard has good advice.

May I offer some?

1. Contemplative Application of the mind ( applying concentration on) turning the hearing inwards.

2. changing bad habits of the mind in thinking, habits of the eyes in grasping, habits of the wanting in hearing, tasting, smelling and touching.

3. Doing the above (practice), and utilizing it within the daily practices one already has undertaken.

Contemplative application of the mind allows one to contemplate the meanings of classic texts leading to wisdom and or sutras. turning the hearing inwards allows one to break through the obstructions of eyes, ears, nose, tongue, body and mind, thus hearing one's inherent wisdom, illuminating the 5 obstructions and the mind, like the "untying of knots" on a rope.

Changing bad habits of 2nd aspect allows one to gradually clear the mind of attachments to things which held them down, or better yet, created outflows which took one's energy and wasted their concentration power. With stronger concentration power, the stronger the mind, and less "afflicted" one will be. Thus resulting in a more "cleaner" vessel for higher energetic cultivation, and more so for attaining the state of realized wisdom.

Lastly, applying the above into one's practice of other things. One must DO what is required if they take on cultivation, and thus they can attain the fruit of their efforts.

• thelerner, 宁, Stigweard and 7 others said thanks

Lin Ai Wei

Gui Zhen Society

149 Sawkill Avenue

Milford PA 18337

fcda02_fc62ce6f7788418eb9ffc7d15d7fe3ad.

#5 Stigweard

Stigweard

The Janitor

• The Dao Bums
  • Pip
  • 3939 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 02:50 PM

Dear TB teachers <even humble Taijiquan'ers>

Thank you

Michael

;)

1. Study what you believe in ... meaning be knowledgeable about the belief or practice system.  Understand where it came from, understand the context and culture that conceived it. Understand the theory, understand the purpose.

2. Practice what you believe in ... don't just be content with superficial conceptual understanding.  Practice and explore your belief/practice so that it emanates from the marrow of your bones.

3. Never assume you know it ... life is ever-evolving.  What is right is relative and could be wrong tomorrow. Life is mysterious and there are many layers of subtlety within any act of knowing.

:D

• Trunk, thelerner, 林愛偉 and 8 others said thanks

#6 林愛偉

林愛偉

Namo Amitabha Buddha

• The Dao Bums
  • Pip
  • 2010 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 09:51 PM

What happened to all the teachers on this board?  All insight is always helpful. I think it would be great to have a teacher's section where cultivators of the way can request from specific teachers, that may be willing, and here, for guidance.

• thelerner, Stigweard, Moonbar and 5 others said thanks

Lin Ai Wei

Gui Zhen Society

149 Sawkill Avenue

Milford PA 18337

#7 Azad

Azad

Dao Bum

• The Dao Bums
  • Pip
  • 30 posts
  • Interests:Qigong, mindfulless, awekening, zuowang, ba gua, nei gong.

Posted 05 February 2013 - 12:28 AM

Dear TB teachers <even humble Taijiquan'ers>

Thank you

Michael

1. Do what your practice is daily. You have to practice it daily and daily. 

2. Do not have expectations about your practice. Doing practice is enough. Don't think about what you get a result. Results come when you don't think. :)

3. When you are practicing first you get too much time to remember the practice well. On next months everything comes like same. and you passed the remembering. But againg you have an obstacle. Routine. You have to keep yourself every practice like a beginner. Your mind must be fresh as you do first time.

I spent 14 years practicing without these rules. I became an good practioner. Not an adept. After I learned everyting changed.

With my best wishes.

• 林愛偉, Stigweard, OldAngel and 1 other said thanks

Advice to a Close Disciple

Whenever thoughts of clothing arise, clothe yourself in the blissful heat of tummo.

Recognize all homelands as illusion.

Whenever thoughts of gems and money arise, take the seven Aryan riches as your treasure.

Seven Aryan riches - Arya means 'superior being'. The seven riches on the path to ultimate awakening are faith, discipline, generosity, learning, moral behavior, modesty, and knowledge.

When thoughts of companionship arise, enjoy self-existing wisdom as your companion.

When thoughts of the guru arise, [see] him as inseparable from you, at the crown of your head. Meditate on him at the centre of your heart.

Milarepa

From A Hundred Tenets

#8 thelerner

thelerner

Been here long enough to know better

• Concierge
  • Pip
  • 9905 posts
  • Interests:Getting Closer to Fine
    W/out going too Crazy

Posted 05 February 2013 - 01:38 PM

Thank you for your answers.  Interesting how teachers advice tended toward practice diligently and know thyself.

Here is another question, Teachers Only, no discussion except by said teachers:  <anyone can ask a question ofcourse>

What breathing exercises <if any> would you recommend for a beginner?   How about for a more senior practitioner?

Thanks.

Push hard to get better, become smarter, grow your devotion to the truth, fuel your commitment to beauty, refine your emotional intelligence, hone your dreams, negotiate with your shadow, cure your ignorance, shed your pettiness, heighten your drive to look for the best in people, and soften your heart. A creed from Pronoia

Where we have stopped dancing, singing, being enchanted by stories, or finding comfort in silence is where we have experience the loss of soul. Dancing, singing, storytelling, and silence are the four universal healing salves. ~ Gabrielle Roth

#9 Azad

Azad

Dao Bum

• The Dao Bums
  • Pip
  • 30 posts
  • Interests:Qigong, mindfulless, awekening, zuowang, ba gua, nei gong.

Posted 05 February 2013 - 01:51 PM

I began to breath works after 2.5 year hard physical and mental process. Like what?

Daily Yi Jin Jing, weekly Xing Shen Zhuang Fa, in every 2 months I was on retreats. And we practice daily 2 times Yi Jin Jing plus XSZF. And some other works becomes more and more.

Why because we need to strengthen nerveous system, body and spine.

After them I can say that breath works comes better. ;)
Btw just watch how you breath. This can be a good begining. How is your chest, stomach, shoulders? Just watch your body when you are breathing regularly.

• Uroboros said thanks for this

Advice to a Close Disciple

Whenever thoughts of clothing arise, clothe yourself in the blissful heat of tummo.

Recognize all homelands as illusion.

Whenever thoughts of gems and money arise, take the seven Aryan riches as your treasure.

Seven Aryan riches - Arya means 'superior being'. The seven riches on the path to ultimate awakening are faith, discipline, generosity, learning, moral behavior, modesty, and knowledge.

When thoughts of companionship arise, enjoy self-existing wisdom as your companion.

When thoughts of the guru arise, [see] him as inseparable from you, at the crown of your head. Meditate on him at the centre of your heart.

Milarepa

From A Hundred Tenets

#10 mYTHmAKER

mYTHmAKER

• The Dao Bums
  • Pip
  • 2959 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 02:23 PM

Breathing exercises depend on what you are practicing.

For taiji beginners breathe naturally, relax - the form will regulate your breath

Put a lite focus on your tan tien and your breath will follow.

• Stigweard, OldAngel, Azad and 1 other said thanks
Each day
I
maintain
my body,
only to find
the sea once more
at my sand castle.

#11 Stigweard

Stigweard

The Janitor

• The Dao Bums
  • Pip
  • 3939 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 07:35 PM

Breathing exercises depend on what you are practicing.

For taiji beginners breathe naturally, relax - the form will regulate your breath

Put a lite focus on your tan tien and your breath will follow.

This would be my advice also ... if you do the form "properly" it teaches you how to breathe.  Too much focus on "special" breathing can be an artificial practice.

;)

• rainbowvein, OldAngel and Uroboros said thanks for this

#12 Aetherous

Aetherous

only a student

• The Dao Bums
  • Pip
  • 9307 posts
  • Interests:bai hao oolong

Posted 05 February 2013 - 08:40 PM

I am not one of those teachers that charge for learning things, but I do teach in some ways, so I'll share my three ideas (which may have come from other teachers)...

1) Use only what helps you and drop what isn't working, if only at least temporarily. Just because something is said to be 'the best practice since sliced bread' doesn't mean it's necessary, or even worth doing. You don't use a shovel to clean your kitchen counter...know the right tool for what you need individually in the current moment. Know what you want from your practice, and ask yourself if what you're doing is actually working.

2) "Cultivation" means that you are focusing on certain things purposefully, which has the effect of increasing those things in your life...for spirituality, it's in regards to all great qualities of character. Virtue. Decide who you want to become and focus on those things. Notice the way you already are, some of the ways which you would rather change, and stop cultivating those things in your life, or channel it in another direction. "Do for others what you want them to do for you."

3) Consider teachers as your advisers, rather than your masters...and at the same time, you must be humble - be master of no one else but yourself. If you can even manage that.

Edited by turtle shell, 05 February 2013 - 08:48 PM.

• thelerner, 宁, Andrei and 4 others said thanks
Tara's Triple Excellence Buddhist program

"Motivation is the key; discipline is the key; teamwork is the key" = basic training pushup mantras.

#13 Harmonious Emptiness

Harmonious Emptiness

nemesis: Erroneous Cleanliness

• The Dao Bums
  • Pip
  • 3349 posts
  • Interests:Putting Classical Chinese thoughts into English words

Posted 07 February 2013 - 02:33 PM

Thanks for responding people.

If I may>>

What were some of your most lasting and effective "sudden realizations" while learning Tai Chi movement (about TC movement, or otherwise)?

Edited by Harmonious Emptiness, 07 February 2013 - 02:37 PM.

#14 timelessness

timelessness

Dao Bum

• The Dao Bums
  • Pip
  • 77 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 11:18 PM

If somebody has been trying to practice brahmacharya/semen retention for a while, what is the one most simple semen sublimation method you would recommend? By simple, I really mean simple: something a lay person could perform, without too many complications.

#15 林愛偉

林愛偉

Namo Amitabha Buddha

• The Dao Bums
  • Pip
  • 2010 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 01:09 AM

If somebody has been trying to practice brahmacharya/semen retention for a while, what is the one most simple semen sublimation method you would recommend? By simple, I really mean simple: something a lay person could perform, without too many complications.

Inhale from the tip of the penis, up through the spine to the crown, and then back down to the dan tian, on exhale keep focus at dan tian.This can be done whenever the desire arises, and also throughout the day, for a constant "saving" of the sexual energy instead of letting it disperse on its own. 

You can also direct the energy not just to the crown, but also to the 3rd eye (pineal gland), or to the heart center, and even on the inhale you can choose to bring it up to the crown down to the dantian, and around to the mingmen, then on exhale hold focus at the mingmen. (Just a few options to play with.)

if one chooses to sit in meditation for this practice, do it for 15-30 minutes 2x's a day for as long as the retention practice is ...practiced. It can be done standing, lying and walking as well.

During sexual stimulation, do not ejaculate, but upon the orgasm, inhale it to the crown, and into the dantian. On exhale, keep focus at dan tian. Throughout the whole entire practice, keep the tongue to the roof of the mouth.

Even something more simple than that, chant OM and direct the vibrations you make with your molars right to the genitals, and then, when you feel charge up in that area, direct that sensation right up the spine to the crown and right back down to the dantian. You can place that vibration also to any other chakra you wish. On the inhale, hold focus at that center.

That's as simple as  I can make it, without any loss of sexual energy, and without any harm.

Enjoy!

Lin

Edited by 林愛偉, 08 February 2013 - 01:24 AM.

• effilang, OldAngel, Jox and 4 others said thanks

Lin Ai Wei

Gui Zhen Society

149 Sawkill Avenue

Milford PA 18337

#16 林愛偉

林愛偉

Namo Amitabha Buddha

• The Dao Bums
  • Pip
  • 2010 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 01:24 AM

Thanks for responding people.

If I may>>

What were some of your most lasting and effective "sudden realizations" while learning Tai Chi movement (about TC movement, or otherwise)?

there were a great many. But I will name one:

The sky and the ground maintained an equal pull: up and down. Then pressing into the root, with light press at the feet from the hips, further strengthened that pull, thus caneling out it self (the up and down pull), and made it easier to neutralize on incoming force, slip under another's root and even press into their root from above. :D

Edited by 林愛偉, 08 February 2013 - 01:25 AM.

• Harmonious Emptiness and Uroboros said thanks for this

Lin Ai Wei

Gui Zhen Society

149 Sawkill Avenue

Milford PA 18337

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users